Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! !

Old February 27th 07, 11:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Enzo Matrix

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! !

Graham wrote:
Wasn't the Hellcat known as the Martlet or some such when used by the
poms? I think the FAA (Fleet Air Arm of the RN) called them that.

It was originally intended to be called the "Gannet", but reverted to the
name Hellcat before the first ones were delivered.

"Martlet" was the name given to earlier versions of the Wildcat, although
the FM-2 was known as the "Wildcat VI" in FAA service.

As for FAA Hellcats in the ETO, those markings are accurate. They depict an
aircraft from 800 NAS, flying from HMS Emperor (ex-USS Pybus CVE-34).
Emperor operated Hellcats as fighter cover during Operation TUNGSTEN, an
attack on the German battleship /Tirpitz/ on 2 April 1944. One Hellcat was
severely damaged and ditched. Emperor provided aircraft for the
anti-submarine screen during the D-Day landings, again with Hellcats as
fighter cover.

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Old February 27th 07, 11:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! ! - ah150-Tulagi.jpg (1/1) [107K]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 2:37:42 +0000, Mitchell Holman wrote
(in message ):

A Hellcat with DDay invasion stripes? What
Hellcats were flying in the ETO?

Not the ETO but close: a couple of USN escort carriers with
Hellcats supported the landings in southern France in August 1944
(Operation Dragoon).

The attached picture shows one of these vessels, the USS Tulagi, on
its way to the Riviera beaches.

--

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ah150-Tulagi.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7431
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ah150-Tulagi.jpg (146.2 KB, 53 views)
Old February 27th 07, 12:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

It is a legit and fascinating scheme. I actually have a decal sheet of it,
making this part of my long term "build list."

Brian
Old February 27th 07, 12:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! ! - faa03-Martlet.jpg (1/1) [85K]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:11:59 +0000, Enzo Matrix wrote
(in message ):

As for FAA Hellcats in the ETO, those markings are accurate. They depict an

Here are some striped Martlets/Wildcats but I have no further
information about the picture.

--

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faa03-Martlet.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	7433
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faa03-Martlet.jpg (116.5 KB, 46 views)
Old February 27th 07, 01:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

wrote in message
ng.com...
Oh yes, that definitely qualifies.

brian

Thanks Brian, he is currently working on a U-boat which I think should look
rather good.

--
Andrew

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
(Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.)

Old February 27th 07, 01:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

"Mike Henley" wrote in message

Tell your brother, "Well Done!"

Thanks Mike. I will pass the message on.

Old February 27th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Netko wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 2:37:42 +0000, Mitchell Holman wrote
(in message ):

A Hellcat with DDay invasion stripes? What
Hellcats were flying in the ETO?

Not the ETO but close: a couple of USN escort carriers with
Hellcats supported the landings in southern France in August 1944
(Operation Dragoon).

The attached picture shows one of these vessels, the USS Tulagi, on
its way to the Riviera beaches.

I am guessing that they would have been used for close air support - air
to ground? The fast movers (Mustangs, Lightnings, T-Birds, Spits) would
have been up at altitude to kill any bombers or fighters?

And thanks for the pictures .. I thought the F4F was out of the fight by
1944.

Cheers,

Dave

Old February 27th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Llarry

"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..
I am guessing that they would have been used for close air support - air
to ground? The fast movers (Mustangs, Lightnings, T-Birds, Spits) would
have been up at altitude to kill any bombers or fighters?

And thanks for the pictures .. I thought the F4F was out of the fight by
1944.

The Wildcat soldiered on right to the end, mostly FM-1s and FM-2s built by
Eastern so Grumman could concentrate on Hellcats. The Wildcats were used
mainly in the Atlantic on Jeep carriers for convoy escort / antisubmarine
duty, since you didn't need a Hellcat to deal with a Kondor...

In the Pacific, FMs were used behind the lines, where you might run into at
worst a bomber or recon plane, or the occasional sub. Again, allowing
Corsairs and Hellcats to stay at the front.

--
--Llarry Amrose

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice, there is.
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old February 27th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message

A Hellcat with DDay invasion stripes? What
Hellcats were flying in the ETO?

FAA and USN Hellcats supported the invasion of southern France in August
1944.

Old February 27th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Graham" wrote in message

Wasn't the Hellcat known as the Martlet or some such when used by the
poms? I think the FAA (Fleet Air Arm of the RN) called them that. Dunno
if the RAF operated them.

As this pic is of a model in British markings, should we not refer to it
as a Martlett then?

The Grumman Wildcat was known as the Martlet in FAA service. The British
originally named their Hellcats "Gannet", until deciding separate names for
American aircraft was not worth the bother.

It's Nice Here ..... TACAN Aviation Photos 102 January 9th 07 12:40 PM
Nice day in NA and ZA Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 December 15th 06 04:41 AM
Nice Dummy Soaring 0 July 6th 04 07:50 AM
Very Nice Fil330 General Aviation 0 June 10th 04 08:01 PM
F-89 rockets fail to stop Hellcat Paul Hirose Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 03:46 PM