About French cowards.

Old October 12th 03, 12:39 AM
Michael Smith

Default About French cowards.

Damn good post.

France actually does help the US - the only non-US planes to drop bombs in
Afghanistan were French, and the US now uses a French base in Djibouti. The
difference between the french and the Brits is that France offers help on
its own terms, while the Brits are basically subservient to the US and will
do whatever it says.

Mike

"Skysurfer" wrote in message
. 0.75...
http://www.exile.ru/175/175052003.html

The new big thing on the web is all these sites with names like "I
Hate France," with supposed datelines of French military history,
supposedly proving how the French are total cowards. If you want to
see a sample of this dumbass Frog bashing, try this:

www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Well, I'm going to tell you guys something you probably don't want
to hear: these sites are total bull****, the notion that the French
are cowards is total bull****, and anybody who knows anything about
European military history knows damn well that over the past
thousand years, the French have the most glorious military history
in Europe, maybe the world.

Before you send me more of those death threats, let me finish. I
hate Chirac too, and his disco foreign minister with the blow-dry
'do and the snotty smile. But there are two things I hate more than
I hate the French: ignorant fake war buffs, and people who are
ungrateful. And when an American mouths off about French military
history, he's not just being ignorant, he's being ungrateful. I was
raised to think ungrateful people were trash.

When I say ungrateful, I'm talking about the American Revolution. If
you're a true American patriot, then this is the war that matters.
Hell, most of you probably couldn't name three major battles from
it, but try going back to when you read Johnny Tremaine in fourth
grade and you might recall a little place called Yorktown, Virginia,
where we bottled up Cornwallis's army, forced the Brits' surrender
and pretty much won the war.

Well, news flash: "we" didn't win that battle, any more than the
Northern Alliance conquered the Taliban. The French army and navy
won Yorktown for us. Americans didn't have the materiel or the
training to mount a combined operation like that, with naval
blockade and land siege. It was the French artillery forces and
military engineers who ran the siege, and at sea it was a French
admiral, de Grasse, who kicked the **** out of the British navy when
they tried to break the siege.

Long before that, in fact as soon as we showed the Brits at Saratoga
that we could win once in a while, they started pouring in huge
shipments of everything from cannon to uniforms. We'd never have got
near Yorktown if it wasn't for massive French aid.

So how come you *******s don't mention Yorktown in your cheap
webpages? I'll tell you why: because you're too ignorant to know
about it and too dishonest to mention it if you did.

The thing that gets to me is why Americans hate the French so much
when they only did us good and never did us any harm. Like, why not
hate the Brits? They're the ones who killed thousands of Americans
in the Revolution, and thirty years later they came back and
attacked us again. That time around they managed to burn Washington
DC to the ground while they were at it. How come you web jerks never
mention that?

Sure, the easy answer is because the Brits are with us now, and the
French aren't. But being a war buff means knowing your history and
respecting it.

Well, so much for ungrateful. Now let's talk about ignorant. And
that's what you are if you think the French can't fight: just plain
ignorant. Appreciation of the French martial spirit is just about
the most basic way you can distinguish real war nerds from fake
little teachers'pets.

Let's take the toughest case first: the German invasion, 1940, when
the French Army supposedly disgraced itself against the Wehrmacht.
This is the only real evidence you'll find to call the French
cowards, and the more you know about it, the less it proves. Yeah,
the French were scared of Hitler. Who wasn't? Chamberlain, the
British prime minister, all but licked the Fuhrer's goosesteppers,
basically let him have all of Central Europe, because Britain was
terrified of war with Germany. Hell, Stalin signed a sweetheart deal
with Hitler out of sheer terror, and Stalin wasn't a man who scared
easy.

The French were scared, all right. But they had reason to be. For
starters, they'd barely begun to recover from their last little
scrap with the Germans: a little squabble you might've heard of,
called WW I.

WW I was the worst war in history to be a soldier in. WW II was
worse if you were a civilian, but the trenches of WW I were five
years of Hell like General Sherman never dreamed of. At the end of
it a big chunk of northern France looked like the surface of the
moon, only bloodier, nothing but craters and rats and entrails.

Verdun. Just that name was enough to make Frenchmen and Germans, the
few who survived it, wake up yelling for years afterward. The French
lost 1.5 million men out of a total population of 40 million
fighting the Germans from 1914-1918. A lot of those guys died
charging German machine-gun nests with bayonets. I'd really like to
see one of you office smartasses joke about "surrender monkeys" with
a French soldier, 1914 vintage. You'd **** your dockers.

****, we strut around like we're so tough and we can't even handle a
few uppity Iraqi villages. These guys faced the Germans head on for
five years, and we call them cowards? And at the end, it was the
Germans, not the French, who said "calf rope."

When the sequel war came, the French relied on their frontier
fortifications and used their tanks (which were better than the
Germans', one on one) defensively. The Germans had a newer, better
offensive strategy. So they won. And the French surrendered. Which
was damn sensible of them.

This was the WEHRMACHT. In two years, they conquered all of Western
Europe and lost only 30,000 troops in the process. That's less than
the casualties of Gettysburg. You get the picture? Nobody, no army
on earth, could've held off the Germans under the conditions that
the French faced them. The French lost because they had a long land
border with Germany. The English survived because they had the
English Channel between them and the Wehrmacht. When the English
Army faced the Wermacht at Dunkirk, well, thanks to spin the tuck-
tail-and-flee result got turned into some heroic tale of a brilliant
British retreat. The fact is, even the Brits behaved like cowards in
the face of the Wermacht, abandoning the French. It's that simple.

Here's a quick sampler of some of my favorite French victories, like
an antidote to those ignorant websites. We'll start way back and
move up to the 20th century.

Tours, 732 AD: The Muslims had already taken Spain and were well on
their way to taking the rest of Europe. The only power with a chance
of stopping them was the French army under Charles "the Hammer"
Martel, King of the Franks (French), who answered to the really cool
nickname "the Hammer of God." It was the French who saved the
continent's ass. All the smart money was on the Muslims: there were
60,000 of them, crazy Jihadis whose cavalry was faster and deadlier
than any in Europe. The French army was heavily outnumbered and had
no cavalry. Fighting in phalanxes, they held against dozens of
cavalry charges and after at least two days of hand-to-hand combat,
finally managed to hack their way to the Muslim center and kill
their commander. The Muslims retreated to Spain, and Europe
developed as an independent civilization.

Orleans, May 1429: Joan of Arc: is she the most insanely cool
military commander in history or what? This French peasant girl gets
instructions from her favorite saints to help out the French against
the English invaders. She goes to the King (well, the Dauphin, but
close enough) and tells him to give her the army and she'll take it
from there. And somehow she convinces him. She takes the army, which
has lost every battle it's been in lately, to Orleans, which is
under English siege. Now Joan is a nice girl, so she tries to settle
things peaceably. She explains in a letter to the enemy commanders
that everything can still be cool, ".provided you give up France.and
wait for the Maid, who will visit you briefly to your great sorrow."
The next day she put on armor, mounted a charger, and prepared to
lead the attack on the besiegers' fortifications. She ordered the
gates opened, but the Mayor refused until Joan explained that she,
personally, would cut off his head. The gates went up, the French
sallied out, and Joan led the first successful attack they'd made in
years. The English strongpoints were taken, the siege was broken,
and Joan's career in the cow-milking trade was over.

Braddock's Defeat (aka Battle of Monongahela) July 1755: Next time
you're driving through the Ohio Valley, remember you're passing near
the site of a great French victory over an Anglo-American force
twice its size. General Edward Braddock marched west from Virginia
with 1,500 men-a very large army in 18th-c. America. His orders were
to seize French land and forts in the Valley-your basic undeclared
land-grab invasion. The French joined the local tribes to resist,
and then set up a classic ambush. It was a slaughter. More than half
of Braddock's force-880 men-were killed or wounded. The only Anglo
officer to escape unhurt was this guy called George Washington, and
even he had two horses shot out from under him. After a few minutes
of non-stop fire from French and Indians hidden in the woods,
Braddock's command came apart like something out of Nam, post-Tet.
Braddock was hit and wounded, but none of his troops would risk
getting shot to rescue him.

Austerlitz, Dec. 1805: You always hear about Austerlitz as
"Napoleon's Greatest Victory," like the little guy personally went
out and wiped out the combined Russian and Austrian armies. The fact
is, ever since the Revolution in 1789, French armies had been
kicking ass against everybody. They were free citizens fighting
against scared peasant and degenerate mercenaries, and it was no
contest. At Austerlitz, 65,000 French troops took on 90,000 Russians
and Austrians and destroyed them. Absolutely annihilated them. The
French lost only 8,000, compared to 29,000 of the enemy. The tactics
Bonaparte used were very risky, and would only have worked with
superb troops: he encouraged the enemy to attack a weak line, then
brought up reinforcements who'd been held out of sight. That kind of
tactical plan takes iron discipline and perfect timing-and the
French had it.

Jena, Oct. 1806: just a quick reminder for anybody who thinks the
Germans always beat the French. Napoleon takes on the Prussian army
and destroys it. 27,000 Prussian casualties vs. 5,000 French.
Prussian army routed, pursued for miles by French cavalry.

You eXile guys might want to remember that the French under Napoleon
are still the only army ever to have taken all of continental
Europe, from Moscow to Madrid. I could keep listing French victories
till I had a book. In fact, it's not a bad idea. A nice big
hardback, so you could take it to the assholes running all the anti-
French-military sites and bash their heads in with it.

Old October 12th 03, 12:57 AM
tscottme

Skysurfer wrote in message
. 0.75...
http://www.exile.ru/175/175052003.html

The new big thing on the web is all these sites with names like "I
Hate France," with supposed datelines of French military history,
supposedly proving how the French are total cowards. If you want to
see a sample of this dumbass Frog bashing, try this:

How many times are you going to post this. BTW, the French are fearsome
when they give command to mentally ill teenage girls or Corsicans,
otherwise they are appeasing little ballerinas.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 12th 03, 01:01 AM
tscottme

French Military History in a Nutshell

Gallic Wars: Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years
of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War: Mostly lost, saved at last by a female schizophrenic
who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare - "France's
armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchmen."

Italian Wars: Lost. France becomes the first and only country ever to
lose two wars when fighting Italians.

Wars of Religion: France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots.

Thirty Years' War: France is technically not a participant, but manages
to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the
other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution: Tied; Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as
chapeaux.

The Dutch War: Tied.

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War:
Lost, but claimed as a tie. Deluded Frogophiles the world over label the
period as the height of French Military Power.

War of the Spanish Succession: Lost. The War also gave the French their
first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved ever since.

American Revolution: In a move that will become quite familiar to future
Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far
more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to
the Second Rule of French Warfa "France only wins when America does
most of the fighting".

French Revolution: Won, primarily due to the fact that the opponent was
also French.

The Napoleonic Wars: Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First
Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for
a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War: Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk
Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

WWI: Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United
States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like not only to
sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly,
widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement
in the French bloodline.

WWII: Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain
just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina: Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with
Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion: Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a Western army
by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First
Rule of Muslim Warfare -"We can always beat the French." This rule is
identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans,
English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Eskimos.

War on Terrorism: France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders
to Germans and Muslims just to be safe.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 12th 03, 01:11 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: About French cowards.
From: "tscottme"
Date: 10/11/03 5:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Interestingly, we started to lose this war only after the embedded
reporters pulled out. Back when we got the news directly from Iraq,
there was victory and optimism. Now that the news is filtered through
the mainstream media here in America, all we hear is death and
destruction and quagmire..." Ann Coulter
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2003/091703.htm

Ann Coulter is getting rich writing books that divide America one group
against the other. Is there any worse kind of traitor than that.?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old October 12th 03, 01:11 AM
tscottme

Michael Smith wrote in message
Damn good post.

France actually does help the US - the only non-US planes to drop

bombs in
Afghanistan were French, and the US now uses a French base in

Djibouti. The
difference between the french and the Brits is that France offers help

on
its own terms, while the Brits are basically subservient to the US and

will
do whatever it says.

Mike

Yeah, France's help in giving Saddam a nuclear reactor was very helpful.
At least they are friendly enough to sell inferior equipment to despots.
And the butchers of Rwanda really appreciated the French aid in escaping
Rwanda after the genocide. The Vichy French were just as French as the
resistance.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 12th 03, 01:28 AM
Mike Marron

The following advisory for American travelers heading for
France was compiled from information provided by the U.S.
State Department, the Central Intelligence Agency, the U.S.
Chamber of Commerce, the Food and Drug Administration,
the Center for Disease Control and some very expensive spy
satellites that the French don't know about. It is intended as
a guide for American travelers only and no guarantee of
accuracy is ensured or intended.

General Overview

France is a medium-sized foreign country situated on the
continent of Europe. It is an important member of the world
community, although not nearly as important as it thinks. It
is bounded by Germany, Spain, Switzerland and some
smaller nations of no particular consequence or shopping
opportunities.

France is a very old country with many treasures such as the
Louvre and EuroDisney. Among its contributions to Western
civilization are champagne, Camembert cheese and the
guillotine.

Although France likes to think of itself as a modern nation,
air conditioning is little used and it is next to impossible to
get decent Mexican food. One continuing exasperation for
American visitors is that the people willfully persist in
speaking French, although many will speak English if
shouted at repeatedly.

The People

France has a population of 54 million people, most of whom
drink and smoke a great deal, drive like lunatics, are
dangerously oversexed and have no concept of standing
patiently in a line. The French people are generally gloomy,
temperamental, proud, arrogant, aloof and undisciplined;
those are their good points. Most French citizens are
Roman Catholic, although you'd hardly guess it from their
behavior. Many people are Communists and topless
sunbathing is common. Men sometimes have girls' names
like Marie and they kiss each other when they hand out
medals. American travelers are advised to travel in groups
and to wear baseball caps and colorful pants for easier
mutual recognition.

Safety

In general, France is a safe destination, although travelers
are advised that France is occasionally invaded by Germany.
By tradition, the French surrender more or less at once and,
apart from a temporary shortage of Scotch whisky and
increased difficulty in getting baseball scores and stock
market prices, life for the visitors generally goes on much as
before. A tunnel connecting France to Britain beneath the
English Channel has been opened in recent years to make it
easier for the French government to flee to London.

History

France was discovered by Charlemagne in the Dark Ages.
Other important historical figures are Louis XIV, the
Huguenots, Joan of Arc, Jacques Cousteau and Charles de
Gaulle, who was President for many years and is now an
airport.

Government

The French form of government is democratic but noisy.
Elections are held more or less continuously and always
result in a run-off. For administrative purposes, the country is
divided into regions, departments, districts, municipalities,
cantons, communes, villages, cafes, booths and floor tiles.
Parliament consists of two chambers, the Upper and Lower
(although, confusingly, they are both on the ground floor),
whose members are either Gaullists or communists, neither
of whom can be trusted. Parliament's principal
preoccupations are setting off atomic bombs in the South
Pacific and acting indignant when anyone complains.
According to the most current State Department intelligence,
the current President is someone named Jacques. Further
information is not available at this time.

Culture

The French pride themselves on their culture, although it is
not easy to see why. All of their songs sound the same and
they have hardly ever made a movie that you want to watch
for anything except the nude scenes. Nothing, of course, is
more boring than a French novel (except perhaps an evening
with a French family.)

Cuisine

Let's face it, no matter how much garlic you put on it, a snail
is just a slug with a shell on its back. Croissants, on the
other hand, are excellent although it is impossible for most
Americans to pronounce this word. American travelers are
therefore advised to stick to cheeseburgers at McDonald's or
the restaurants at the leading hotels such as Sheraton or
Holiday Inn.

Economy

France has a large and diversified economy, second only to
Germany's economy in Europe, which is surprising since
people hardly ever work at all. If they are not spending four
hours dawdling over lunch, they are on strike and blocking
the roads with their trucks and tractors. France's principal
exports, in order of importance to the economy, are wine,
nuclear weapons, perfume, guided missiles, champagne,
high-caliber weaponry, grenade launchers, land mines, tanks,
attack aircraft, miscellaneous armaments and cheese.

Public Holidays

France has more holidays than any other nation in the world.
Among its 361 national holidays and: 197 saint's days, 37
National Liberation days, 16 Declaration of Republic days, 54
Return of Charles de Gaulle in Triumph as if He Won the War
Single-Handed days, 18 Napoleon Called Back from Exile
days and 112 France is Great and the Rest of the World Isn't
days. Other important holidays include National Nuclear
Bomb Day (January 12th), the Feast of St. Brigitte Bardot
Day (March 1st) and National Guillotine Day (November
12th.)

Conclusion

France enjoys a rich history, a picturesque and varied
landscape and a temperate climate. In short, it would be a
very nice country if French people didn't inhabit it. The best
thing that can be said for it is that it is not Germany.
Remember that no one ordered you to go abroad. Personally
we always take our vacation in Miami Beach and you are
advised to do the same. Thank you and good luck.

-Dave Barry
Old October 12th 03, 01:33 AM
Mike Marron

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:28:49 GMT, Mike Marron
wrote:

[...]

.....or perhaps some U.S. fighter pilot who was stationed in Laon,
France, back in the sixties when we were kicked out of the country,
lock stock and barrelby good ol' Charlie DeGaulle?

Old October 12th 03, 01:48 AM
tscottme

The key to the U.N.'s global warming study was man's use of aerosol
spray. You have to know the French were involved in a study concluding
that Arrid Extra Dry is destroying the Earth. In a world in which
everyone smelled, the French would be at no disadvantage. Aerosol spray.
How convenient.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 12th 03, 02:05 AM
tscottme

From: "tscottme"
Date: 10/11/03 5:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Interestingly, we started to lose this war only after the embedded
reporters pulled out. Back when we got the news directly from Iraq,
there was victory and optimism. Now that the news is filtered through
the mainstream media here in America, all we hear is death and
destruction and quagmire..." Ann Coulter
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2003/091703.htm

Ann Coulter is getting rich writing books that divide America one

group
against the other. Is there any worse kind of traitor than that.?

Yes, Democrats. They've been dividing white from black, poor and rich,
patriotic and liberal for decades.

--

Scott
--------