History Channel

Old May 28th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
GC

Default History Channel

A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab all)
The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..
B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

They are a few of very many I can recall.
Old May 28th 08, 03:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"GC" wrote in message
A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab
all)
The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..
B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

The USAAF had a different name for "carpet Bombing"
but it was the same thing. If one considers
that the weather in Europe is sufficiently bad
that if the USAAF didn't BOMB THROUGH
CLOUD (carpet bombing by another name)
they wouldn't have bombed at all.
There were many days when the USAAF
did their "precision bombing" using
H2S GEE GH and Oboe, the same as
the RAF. American bomb aimers using
these "precission blind bombing"
devices could no more pick out a factory
that should be bombed than could the RAF
bomb aimers.

If the sky was clear when the USAAF bombed,
ONLY the LEAD aircraft bombardier
aimed at the "precision target" and when he
"toggled" his bomb load, ALL the rest
of the bombardiers/toggliers dropped their
bombs. If you consider the horizontal
area covered by all the USAAF bombers
when they "toggled" their bombs one would
have to believe that the factory/military
target must have taken up a huge area
on the ground so that the USAAF could honestly
make the claim that "they only bombed
military targets"!

One should also mention that the lie
that the USAAF DIDN'T TARGET CIVILIANS
can be put to rest, because the escorting fighter
pilots were ORDERED to STRAF civilians
on their way home.

Bit of hypocracy involved one might say!

They are a few of very many I can recall.

Old May 28th 08, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

"GC" wrote in message
A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab
all)
The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..
B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

They are a few of very many I can recall.

I've heard the term terrorists instead of enemy being used a bit too.
As in the japanese terrorist raid on pearl harbour.

Old May 28th 08, 09:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Neil Hoskins

"GC" wrote in message
A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab
all)

Don't know.

The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..

Arguably. When they tried to target Sadam during the invasion of Iraq there
was some discussion of this. It turns out that Churchill was reluctant to
assassinate Hitler. Think about it: if it was legal for the USAF to attempt
to take out Saddam, would it also be legal for the Iraqi insurgents to send
a suicide bomber to London to target Blair? You have to be very careful
with the law and "OK" doesn't always equate to "legal".

B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

Covered better than I could do by Robert. Personally, I feel very
uncomfortable when the Dams Raid is celebrated: it did very little to hamper
German industry but did kill an awful number of civilians; largely French
slave labourers IIRC. Arguably a terrorist attack.

Revisionist history should, in my view, like all forms of debate, be
encouraged. My own approach, though, is to keep my voice down when the
people who lived through it are still around. By modern standards, Harris's
"reap the whirlwind" policy was terrorist and genocidal, but then again, my
parents lived through the blitz, lost friends, saw civilian bodies being
dragged out of bombed buildings, etc, and therefore have a completely
different point of view.

Old May 28th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

GC wrote:
A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?

Of course it isn't. It's just rewriting history to show the USA in a
very good light, and everyone else as being not so good, if they were
allies, and really bad, if they were the "enemy".

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old May 28th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

GC wrote:

A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments
.eg Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way
not Rab all) The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an
assassination..
B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision
bombers not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

They are a few of very many I can recall.

The only one of those that is totally incorrect is Americans landing in
Rabaul during WW2.

Old May 28th 08, 01:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman Mitchell Holman is offline
Banned

GC wrote in news:Xns9AAC7DCF6B15Biwwophotmailcom@
61.9.191.5:

A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab

all)

Never heard that, is certainly an error

The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..

That's pretty much what it was.

B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

US raids on Berlin, RAF raids on Berlin - what's the difference?

They are a few of very many I can recall.

Personally I have bigger problem with the way the market
their shows than the content. "The mystery of...", "the truth
is finally revealed", etc.

Old May 28th 08, 02:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
GC

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

[...]

Ah thats another of my gripes as well, the bigger better best approach.

My question on the B17's probably related to the fact the program totally
ignored the Dams,the Tirpitz,etc all involving a touch of precision and
you could hear the disdain in the commentators tone when referring to the
RAF. This is not to denigrate the men who did the job, thanks to them I
am able to write this .......
I figured the shooting down of Yamamoto whilst obviously a payback was
done during wartime hence not an assassination but I see your point.

Old May 28th 08, 03:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

GC wrote in
:

A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?

IMHO:
The history channel is Notorious for being inaccurate
both in facts and film...
Old May 28th 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Waldo.Pepper[_2_]

I have plenty of video / film archived on mountains of discs / tape /
film even!

But I never let all that I have amassed stand in the way of reading a
book.

Watch the history channel all you want. As long as you use it
correctly - as inspiration to read all you can.

Waldo.

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:35:09 -0500, John Szalay
wrote:

GC wrote in
: