Scaled Composites builds plane for solo nonstop globe circumnavigation attempt

Old October 29th 03, 05:29 AM
David O

"Tim Ward" wrote:

Notice that although it will be a solo attempt, the GlobalFlyer's
useful load would allow for two people plus full fuel.

As long as they didn't eat or drink for three days.
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "a fast flight".

Tim Ward

No "fast flight" needed:

Voyager, 2 people + food + water for 9 days: 434 lb.
GlobalFlyer, 2 people + food + water for 3.3 days: 489 lb.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old October 29th 03, 01:31 PM
nafod40

David O wrote:
nafod40 wrote:

Actually, Dave, the clip I posted was the entire article. To me,
though, 18,000 lb of fuel kinda screamed "unrefueled" anyway.

A friend of mine logged a .3 while flying an F-111 at 300 feet and Mach
.95 (ingress) and Mach 1.3 (egress) in a Maple Flag exercise in Canada.
They burned 20,000+ lbs of go juice. I guess 18,000 lbs screamed "low
fuel light" to them. : )

One word: context. A single Williams FJ44-3 turbofan, 18,000 lb of
fuel, and a composite aircraft built by Burt Rutan for an around the
world attempt screams "unrefueled" to me. It should also scream
unrefueled to those with a knowledge of modern small turbofan SFC's
and a modicum of common sense.

Your reply to my post screams "lack of sense of humor"

Old October 29th 03, 10:35 PM
Dave Hyde

David O wrote:

It should also scream unrefueled to those with a
knowledge of modern small turbofan SFC's
and a modicum of common sense.

Look, I'm really sorry I asked, OK?

Dave 'outta decaf?' Hyde

Old October 30th 03, 11:15 AM
David O

Dave Hyde wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry I asked, OK?

No, not OK. My pen has been too poison of late. Sorry for any
offense.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com