A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Butterfly display (displaying a big red logo under normal flight conditions)

Old September 18th 13, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RuudH
external usenet poster

Default Butterfly display (displaying a big red logo under normal flight conditions)

Hello all,
The Butterfly screen that indicates Flarm or PowerFlarm operation is normal, but is not receiving other traffic within range, is depicted on https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...no-traffic.png.
A big red indication (butterfly logo) that is not described in the manual.

A big red indication usually is an indication of any abnormal situation in a cockpit, especially in a cockpit of a power-plane.
For this reason I have asked the developers of Butterfly to remove the big red butterfly from the screen during flight, because it's distracting pilot's attention.
This is the answer that I received a few days ago from Butterfly:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Aktualisiert von: Joachim Fetzer, 16. Sep 09:11 (CEST):
Hello Ruud,

thanks for your email.

We know that a red logo is not optimal in an aircraft cockpit but it´s the logo of our company. We will not remove it, sorry.

For any questions we are happy to assist you.

Best wishes,
Joachim Fetzer
AIR Store
Butterfly Avionics GmbH & Garrecht Avionik GmbH

Obviously displaying their logo is more important than an optimal indication in a cockpit...
Old September 18th 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Butterfly display (displaying a big red logo under normal flight conditions)

Boh oh oh oh gus. (Does that translates to Slovenian?)
Old September 18th 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Butterfly display (displaying a big red logo under normal flightconditions)

RuudH wrote, On 9/18/2013 9:06 AM:
Hello all, The Butterfly screen that indicates Flarm or PowerFlarm
operation is normal, but is not receiving other traffic within range,
is depicted on
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...no-traffic.png.

A big red indication (butterfly logo) that is not described in the manual.

A big red indication usually is an indication of any abnormal
situation in a cockpit, especially in a cockpit of a power-plane. For
this reason I have asked the developers of Butterfly to remove the
big red butterfly from the screen during flight, because it's
distracting pilot's attention. This is the answer that I received a
few days ago from Butterfly:

Aktualisiert von: Joachim Fetzer, 16. Sep 09:11 (CEST): Hello Ruud,

thanks for your email.

We know that a red logo is not optimal in an aircraft cockpit but
it´s the logo of our company. We will not remove it, sorry.

For any questions we are happy to assist you.

Best wishes, Joachim Fetzer AIR Store Butterfly Avionics GmbH &
Garrecht Avionik GmbH

Obviously displaying their logo is more important than an optimal
indication in a cockpit...

I don't look at the screen until I hear a beep, which means the red
butterfly has been replaced with a "threat alert", or at least a
potential threat alert.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old October 14th 13, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RuudH
external usenet poster

Op woensdag 18 september 2013 18:06:24 UTC+2 schreef RuudH:
Hello all,

The Butterfly screen that indicates Flarm or PowerFlarm operation is normal, but is not receiving other traffic within range, is depicted on https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...no-traffic.png.

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbR...layer_embedded
Old October 15th 13, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

I can't see my Butterfly Display most of the time, as a result I only look at it when the circle of death pops up. Other than that one function I find it almost worthless. From what I can discern I'm not the only dissatisfied customer, the trade in value is zero. The LXNAV FlarmView appears to be a better product. Maybe the Butterfly guys should branch out into Graphic design services since that is what they seem to be the most proud of. Does it work better if you keep your hand on it during launch? Maybe the dim display is the result of global warming. Or it could be the result of some right wing extremist plot. All they need is better marketing, that will fix it right up.

Old October 15th 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:03:07 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:
I can't see my Butterfly Display most of the time, as a result I only look at it when the circle of death pops up. Other than that one function I find it almost worthless. From what I can discern I'm not the only dissatisfied customer, the trade in value is zero. The LXNAV FlarmView appears to be a better product. Maybe the Butterfly guys should branch out into Graphic design services since that is what they seem to be the most proud of. Does it work better if you keep your hand on it during launch? Maybe the dim display is the result of global warming. Or it could be the result of some right wing extremist plot. All they need is better marketing, that will fix it right up.

I agree, it is a very poorly designed display. It's so dark that with sunglasses on I can't see anything. And the letters/numbers are still very small. Fortunately I connected the PowerFlarm to my Oudie where I can clearly see the other Flarm equipped gliders and receive a legible warning when necessary. I also have it connected to the SN10 which tells me in what direction to look for the oncoming traffic.

Old October 15th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

Folks the issue is polarization. The butterfly display is plenty bright but if you use polarized sunglasses you can only use the display in vertical orientation. I hope butterfly will eventually address this issue and provide additional polarization option. No issue with the panel display only the rectangular.

Ramy
Old October 16th 13, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:59:45 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Folks the issue is polarization. The butterfly display is plenty bright but if you use polarized sunglasses you can only use the display in vertical orientation. I hope butterfly will eventually address this issue and provide additional polarization option. No issue with the panel display only the rectangular.

Ramy

Beg to disagree. I have the panel display and even without glasses it is half as bright as my other instruments. And the letters/numbers are still small even after the latest software upgrade.
Old October 16th 13, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster

Juan, SF,

please get in touch with us and provide pictures of your installation and close-ups of your display:

Its a transflective display - it gets brighter in sunlight and looks dim when not in sunlight. If you install it in an unfavorable angle or in the shadow of your glareshield, or if using polarized glasses it won't bring much fun using it.

Looking forward to helping you.

Marc

Old October 16th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbR...layer_embedded

Thanks Ruud for the feedback, seriously. See, we *really* love our logo, but we will find a solution. Technically you are of course right.

Regarding readability: The video shows how it looks when installed good.

Cheers
Marc