Lesson #2...

Old September 22nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Lesson #2...

On Sep 22, 5:18 am, "John Ward" wrote:
Hi Phil,

Is this the one, mate?

http://www.flightdesignusa.com/

Regards,
John Ward

That's it. It's a very nice Light Sport airplane. Nice wide cabin,
lots of baggage capacity, lots of useful load, and decent cruise
speed. I am looking forward to doing my cross countries in it.

Phil

Old September 23rd 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
John Ward[_3_]

Hi Phil,

Looks like a beauty, mate - any idea what they cost?

Regards,
John Ward
ps.com...

Old September 23rd 07, 10:31 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
John wrote:
Strewth, you're not having much luck with the weather, and other things,
mate!

That's the UK for you! And I'm considering a change of school to get around
the problems with instructor availability.

What's the Human Performance exam concerned with?

Recognising the body's limits, and any potential causes for errors due to
optical illusions, confusing physical sensations and the like. It's a bit
'woolly' to be honest, but I got 95% in it so I'm happy!

Andy
Old September 23rd 07, 11:29 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
John Ward[_3_]

Hi Andy,

That change of school might be the way to go, mate - you're the one
who's paying, and who has a time-frame/schedule-of-costs, in mind.

They instruct, regardless......

Regards,
John Ward
"Andy Hawkins" wrote in message
Hi,

Old September 23rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Sep 22, 7:39 pm, "John Ward" wrote:
Hi Phil,

Looks like a beauty, mate - any idea what they cost?

Regards,
John Ward

John,

They sell in the neighborhood of $100,000, depending on optional
features. BTW, unlike some other LSAs the ballistic chute is not an
extra option on this aircraft. It is included in the base price.

Phil

Old September 23rd 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:40:07 GMT, Andy Hawkins wrote:

take a look at my blog of my experiences thus far:
http://adhawkins.wordpress.com

Hey Andy, I've got a question for ya... you said:

"Annoyingly it was one of the ones I thought I had answered correctly! It
was a question regarding how you would approach a runway that was narrower
than you were expecting."

I'm in flight school here in the States and that question/topic has never
come up. I would have no idea how to answer that question other to say you
should know exactly how wide the runway before you land on it and make sure
you land on the centerline.

So, what was the answer?

--
Dallas
Old September 24th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 23, 3:00 pm, Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:40:07 GMT, Andy Hawkins wrote:
take a look at my blog of my experiences thus far:
http://adhawkins.wordpress.com

Hey Andy, I've got a question for ya... you said:

"Annoyingly it was one of the ones I thought I had answered correctly! It
was a question regarding how you would approach a runway that was narrower
than you were expecting."

I'm in flight school here in the States and that question/topic has never
come up. I would have no idea how to answer that question other to say you
should know exactly how wide the runway before you land on it and make sure
you land on the centerline.

So, what was the answer?

--
Dallas

A skinny runway introduces illusions. It can appear to be
longer than you're used to, and you'll tend to approach higher and
maybe faster. We see it all the time here, with students who train on
200-foot-wide runways, then go on cross-countries to our 75' wide
strip. They get awfully close to the end of the runway in the rollout,
after touching down way too late and too fast. They leave lots of tire
tread on the pavement.

Dan

Old September 24th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
"Annoyingly it was one of the ones I thought I had answered correctly! It
was a question regarding how you would approach a runway that was narrower
than you were expecting."

I'm in flight school here in the States and that question/topic has never
come up. I would have no idea how to answer that question other to say you
should know exactly how wide the runway before you land on it and make sure
you land on the centerline.

Ok. I think I worded that wrong in terms of the question. The question is
more like:

'When landing at a runway that is narrower than originally expected, the
pilot may:

A Make a higher than normal approach and overshoot the threshold
B Make a higher than normal approach and undershoot the threshold
C Make a lower than normal approach and undershoot the threshold
D Make a lower than normal approach and overshoot the threshold

The correct answer (I think!) is 'C'. Because the runway is narrower than
you're expecting, you'll try to get closer to it to make the 'picture' look
the same.

Does that explain better what I was trying to explain in my blog?

Andy
Old September 24th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
John wrote:
That change of school might be the way to go, mate - you're the one
who's paying, and who has a time-frame/schedule-of-costs, in mind.

They instruct, regardless......

Yeah, I know. I like the idea of a 'small' school. I'm the kind of person
that likes to really immerse themselves in the whole atmosphere when I
decide to do something.

Also (obviously) I liked the idea of saving 50% of the cost of most flying
schools!

I reckon it's gonna cost me an extra £2000 or so to go to this new school
(their rates are £43 an hour more, but the also charge Brakes on to Brakes
off rather than tacho), but if I don't then it's easily going to be the
middle of next year before I get towards the end of my PPL. When I first
started I had dreams of finishing by now!

Was supposed to have a lesson with the new school yesterday, but got
weathered off, so now trying to do it next Saturday. They're also about to
upgrade their fleet to Diamon DA40s, which looks like a nice plane!

Andy

2nd Lesson Crash Lander Piloting 20 October 2nd 06 10:44 PM
My first lesson Marco Rispoli Aerobatics 3 May 17th 05 08:23 AM
First IFR lesson Gene Whitt Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 15th 04 11:47 PM
PEZ completes lesson one John Shelton Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 12:42 AM
fs9 lesson bug? A.J.L. Simulators 2 November 5th 03 02:23 AM