Lesson #2...

Old September 25th 07, 05:24 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Lesson #2...

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:02:01 GMT, Andy Hawkins wrote:

'When landing at a runway that is narrower than originally expected, the
pilot may:

That's better. I was going to ask you if that's the exact way they worded
the question.

Your first version:
"How you would approach a runway that was narrower than you were
expecting?"

My answer: Exactly the same way you would a wide runway.

As for your answer "C", that is the correct answer.

http://www.4vfr.com/?goto=view_artic...icle_key=14 8

That is not an FAA written test bank question, I just checked.

--
Dallas
Old September 25th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
John Ward[_3_]

Hi Andy,

Good luck with the weather, mate! :-))

Are the Diamonds more expensive to rent than the Cessnas?

Regards,
John Ward
"Andy Hawkins" wrote in message
Hi,

In article ,
John wrote:
That change of school might be the way to go, mate - you're the one
who's paying, and who has a time-frame/schedule-of-costs, in mind.

They instruct, regardless......

Yeah, I know. I like the idea of a 'small' school. I'm the kind of person
that likes to really immerse themselves in the whole atmosphere when I
decide to do something.

Also (obviously) I liked the idea of saving 50% of the cost of most flying
schools!

I reckon it's gonna cost me an extra £2000 or so to go to this new school
(their rates are £43 an hour more, but the also charge Brakes on to Brakes
off rather than tacho), but if I don't then it's easily going to be the
middle of next year before I get towards the end of my PPL. When I first
started I had dreams of finishing by now!

Was supposed to have a lesson with the new school yesterday, but got
weathered off, so now trying to do it next Saturday. They're also about to
upgrade their fleet to Diamon DA40s, which looks like a nice plane!

Andy

Old September 25th 07, 07:01 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
John Ward[_3_]

Hi Phil,

I suppose it would be the Instructor who would deploy the 'chute, rather
than the student, if it ever came to it?

Are you given any instructions about it?

Regards,
John Ward
"Phil" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 22, 7:39 pm, "John Ward" wrote:
Hi Phil,

Looks like a beauty, mate - any idea what they cost?

Regards,
John Ward

John,

They sell in the neighborhood of $100,000, depending on optional
features. BTW, unlike some other LSAs the ballistic chute is not an
extra option on this aircraft. It is included in the base price.

Phil

Old September 25th 07, 09:45 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:02:01 GMT, Andy Hawkins wrote:

'When landing at a runway that is narrower than originally expected, the
pilot may:

That's better. I was going to ask you if that's the exact way they worded
the question.

Your first version:
"How you would approach a runway that was narrower than you were
expecting?"

My answer: Exactly the same way you would a wide runway.

Yep. Badly worded in my blog. So sue me

As for your answer "C", that is the correct answer.

http://www.4vfr.com/?goto=view_artic...icle_key=14 8

That is not an FAA written test bank question, I just checked.

I'm doing my PPL in the UK, so it's a JAA PPL.

Andy
Old September 25th 07, 09:45 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
John wrote:
Good luck with the weather, mate! :-))

Hmm, failed to fly on Sunday because of it!

Are the Diamonds more expensive to rent than the Cessnas?

I've currently been learning in a Warrior (PA-28-161). The new school has
Cherokee 180s, and the new Diamonds are coming on stream soon. They're about
UKP 7 more expensive an hour.

Andy
Old September 25th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Sep 25, 1:01 am, "John Ward" wrote:
Hi Phil,

I suppose it would be the Instructor who would deploy the 'chute, rather
than the student, if it ever came to it?

Are you given any instructions about it?

Regards,
John Ward

John,

No, I haven't received any special instructions about deploying the
chute. The handle is between the seats, and there is a checklist item
to remove the safety pin, but we just leave the pin out all the time
anyway. It takes a 30-pound pull to deploy the chute, so it is pretty
unlikely that we would accidentally deploy it. Unless the instructor
was incapacitated, I would defer to him to deploy it.

Phil

Old September 25th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Phil wrote:

John,

No, I haven't received any special instructions about deploying the
chute. The handle is between the seats, and there is a checklist item
to remove the safety pin, but we just leave the pin out all the time
anyway. It takes a 30-pound pull to deploy the chute, so it is pretty
unlikely that we would accidentally deploy it. Unless the instructor
was incapacitated, I would defer to him to deploy it.

Phil

Not really on point but an interesting look at BRS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1PX7G0u0yI

Old September 25th 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Phil wrote:
On Sep 25, 1:01 am, "John Ward" wrote:
Hi Phil,

I suppose it would be the Instructor who would deploy the 'chute, rather
than the student, if it ever came to it?

Are you given any instructions about it?

Regards,
John Ward

John,

No, I haven't received any special instructions about deploying the
chute.

If possible, fly the plane towards
the most hospitable landing area
keeping in mind wind conditions.

Secure the engine (ignition off and
fuel valve off).

The handle is between the seats, and there is a checklist item
to remove the safety pin, but we just leave the pin out all the time
anyway. It takes a 30-pound pull to deploy the chute, so it is pretty
unlikely that we would accidentally deploy it. Unless the instructor
was incapacitated, I would defer to him to deploy it.

You'll get a real thrill the first time
your safety harness gets wrapped around
the handle and you give it a tug. I know
I did (:

Old September 26th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Sep 25, 3:14 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Phil wrote:
[...]

I did (:- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I've thought about that. But I figure 30 pounds is pretty close
to what a bag of water softener salt weighs. I've lifted one of
those, but never accidentally. :-)

Old September 26th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Sep 25, 2:55 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Phil wrote:

John,

No, I haven't received any special instructions about deploying the
chute. The handle is between the seats, and there is a checklist item
to remove the safety pin, but we just leave the pin out all the time
anyway. It takes a 30-pound pull to deploy the chute, so it is pretty
unlikely that we would accidentally deploy it. Unless the instructor
was incapacitated, I would defer to him to deploy it.

Phil

Not really on point but an interesting look at BRS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1PX7G0u0yI

Horrible. I hope the pilot wasn't hurt too badly.

2nd Lesson Crash Lander Piloting 20 October 2nd 06 10:44 PM
My first lesson Marco Rispoli Aerobatics 3 May 17th 05 08:23 AM
First IFR lesson Gene Whitt Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 15th 04 11:47 PM
PEZ completes lesson one John Shelton Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 12:42 AM
fs9 lesson bug? A.J.L. Simulators 2 November 5th 03 02:23 AM