Yet Another wing Refinishing question

Old November 5th 08, 04:01 AM
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

Default Yet Another wing Refinishing question

Hello All,
As the proud custodian of a schempp-Hirth SHK-1, I would like to know if anybody has any recomendations for a filler primer suitable for reprofiling. I have read most of the posts which came up after searching this forum. Was going to use simtec 2081, however, sombody reported it clogs paper? Somone else used Sikkens Colorbuild.
Whatever I use it will be applied to a wood surface previously prepped with randolph ev-400 catalysed epoxy varnish, and topcoated with randolph ranathane catalysed paint.
I have a lot of experience with automotive coatings, and am looking for a material at least as good as the original product. I.E ease of sanding and durability.
Thanks, Scott.
Old November 5th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Hi,

I have had good success using the Simtec products. The 2081 sanding
primer really does sand nice and I've never had it clog paper before.
The 2781 top coat sands well too, I've found that if you start wet
sanding as soon as the cure cycle is done it cuts easier than if you
wait a few days.

Do be careful sanding along the fabric-wood overlap tho!

Brad

PS.................when I rebuilt/recovered my wood/fabric ASK-14
several years ago I used the Hipec system. Was very pleased with it,
but only for a wood/fabric airplane. Also, beware that it comes from
Canada and the dangerous goods and slow shipping is problematic.
Old November 5th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I recommend PCL Polyprimer 907 white, it goes on smooth and sands
without cloging up the paper. Also it's white which makes for better
hiding with the final painting. Probably polyurethane because its
flexable and shouldn't crack over wood.
Good luck,
JJ

--
shkdriver

Old November 5th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 5, 10:20*am, Brad wrote:
Do be careful sanding along the fabric-wood overlap tho!

That would be the voice of experience ? ;-)
See ya, Dave
Old November 5th 08, 11:18 PM
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[_2_] View Post
Hi,

I have had good success using the Simtec products. The 2081 sanding
primer really does sand nice and I've never had it clog paper before.
The 2781 top coat sands well too, I've found that if you start wet
sanding as soon as the cure cycle is done it cuts easier than if you
wait a few days.

Do be careful sanding along the fabric-wood overlap tho!

Brad

PS.................when I rebuilt/recovered my wood/fabric ASK-14
several years ago I used the Hipec system. Was very pleased with it,
but only for a wood/fabric airplane. Also, beware that it comes from
Canada and the dangerous goods and slow shipping is problematic.
Thanks, very helpful, Scott.
Old November 5th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Nov 5, 1:12*pm, DRN wrote:
On Nov 5, 10:20*am, Brad wrote:

Do be careful sanding along the fabric-wood overlap tho!

That would be the voice of experience ? ;-)
See ya, Dave

heh, yup.......the FIRST time I refinished it!!!
the second time I rebuilt the whole trailing edge, 1 spoiler box and
recovered the wings. I was much more careful that time.

Cheers,
Brad