RIP Mike Valentine

Old December 11th 04, 08:27 PM
Mal

Default RIP Mike Valentine

Sad news.

As most will already know, Mike Valentine is no longer with us. Mike passed
away by his own hand last Friday night. I can
offer no adequate words for this tragic outcome. Those of us who knew Mike
will know that, while this outcome cannot be

explained, it was the result of the very high standards Mike set for himself
and the high standards he wished to see met in his

work situation combined with the courage to do what he believed was the
right thing despite the consequences to himself. In

this last decision he was tragically wrong and many of us took the
opportunity to explain why - however, in the end, Mike

always took his own counsel.

Mike was an exceptionally talented person and a loyal and compassionate
friend. He was the architect of our Ops system

and documentation. His contribution in both the Ops and airworthiness is
internationally recognised. Those of us who knew

him as a friend know we have had no better. He will be sorely missed.

At his own request he will be cremated quietly without service.

The GFA and associated clubs will arrange an occasion to celebrate Mike's
exceptional life - probably in February at a time

and a place to be chosen and when we will be more able to do so. Please pass
this message on.

Bob Hall

President GFA

Last weekend the sporting aviation community lost one of it's most widely
known and respected members.

Mike Valentine passed away quietly at Mudgee NSW. He was found dead in his
car early on the morning of Saturday 4th

December. Tragically, he had ended his own life. He died from the effects of
Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

In a letter mailed to close friends on Friday morning 3rd December, Mike
stated that he had been "on the edge for some time",

that a number of factors were involved and that he had reached his decision
only after "considerable thought and in the cold

light of day". He had also said many times that he would never tolerate
being seriously disabled by sickness to the extent

that he would need to be dependant on others.

He has no known living relatives.

He was well known to have an abhorrence of funerals and the associated
formalities, so in deference to his wishes his

remains will be committed for cremation at a private service on Friday 10th
at 3.00 PM. Members and friends who have been

able to read this before that time may wish to pause and reflect on Mike's
life around that time. For us left behind it may seem

that we are being denied the chance to say "Goodbye" to Mike, but this is
the way he wanted it to be and we must respect his

decision. Similarly, he did not want flowers etc. Should you wish to make an
equivalent cash donation please send it to the

GFA Secretariat and it will be forwarded to the Fred Hollows Foundation.
This organisation became dear to Mike's heart after

he saw first hand the incredible work being done to restore eyesight during
his treks in Nepal.

Early next year, perhaps late February we will organise a number of
functions at various clubs where Mike's friends can meet

to celebrate his life, perhaps with a Guinness or Kilkenny. To assist with
this we would like to obtain photographs of Mike, or

any of the aircraft that he has been involved with. These will all be
returned. If you can help please contact the STOA, John

Viney, at the Secretariat.

The GFA staff and Mike's closest friends would appreciate it if we do not
receive telephone calls, emails etc. requesting more

information, there is simply nothing else known about this tragic end to
someone we all loved and respected.

John Viney - STOA GFA John Ashford - CTOA GFA