Looking for first glider

Old September 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Jeff Runciman

Default Looking for first glider

I have been reading the posts and archived posts and
I am looking for some advice on a first glider. I will
be spending quite a bit of time in a 2-22 and should
have my licence in two weeks. Here are my experience
details and performance hopes:

Experience: Private pilots licence 140 hours current
Hang Glider 480 hours current
Glider 3 hours, 18 flights, 8 solo.
Ultralight 42 hours not current.

Performance Hopes: 40:1
Fiberglass
02 system
not scary to fly with
my experience
15 meter (maybe 13 meter
club class)
does not have to have
flaps
later than 1985

Can spend up to 35,000 U.S. dollars with trailer. (maybe
more based on your recomendations. ) Any help would
be appreciated.

Jeff

Old September 5th 04, 08:51 PM
Charles Yeates

You could get a lot of good flying experience in a PW5 for less than you
are willing to spend!!!

Old September 6th 04, 12:52 AM
Ventus B

Jeff Runciman wrote in message ...
[...]

Jeff,
You can't go wrong with an LS4 or Discus. Both have great handling.
I don't have much time in a Discus, but I know that the LS4 does not
have any nasty qualities that could haunt you. It thermals like a
home sick angel, is strong as hell, and easy to land. My advice is to
avoid a flapped glider for your first ship. Not that they are
difficult, but most have a landing configuration that could be
troublesome if you are not dead-on with your speed control. I
recommend sticking with typical spoilers rather than flaps or trailing
edge dive brakes for glide path control. And don't get hung up on
whether the glider is made of fiberglass or some other more modern
material (like carbon or kevlar). Many of the glass ships can last
almost forever if they are well cared for. The LS4 is certified for
up to 12,000 hours with proper inspection and maintenance. $35K
should be about right for a decent glass glider and trailer. I think
most Discus gliders might go for more.
Good luck. There are a lot of good gliders out there, and starting
here on RAS is a good place to get lots of opinions on an appropriate
first ship. Just remember that what's good for me may not be good for
you for a number of reasons. One of which is that I'm not a tall
pilot so I fit in just about anything. You may not. And lastly it is
worth mentioning that you should look for a decent panel in your
glider. If you buy a minimal panel, or an obsolete one, you will
spend a LOT of money to modernize it. Have fun! Shopping for the
glider is entertaining of itself.
Old September 6th 04, 01:24 AM
solo89

I just bought an LS4a and am pretty happy with with it (thrilled
actually). I think they're generally a little older than what you're
looking for.

Given your price point, I think you can get the one thing I wanted and
didn't get. That being automatic hookups. Some LS4b's were made with
automatic hookups and some weren't. I think LS4b's are a little hard
to come across.

Good Luck. Owning your own glider is nice.

As a newbie, I'm in no position to give advice. But... a little dual
time in a higher performance trainer might be a good idea.

Doug

Old September 6th 04, 01:59 AM
Joseph L. Hyde

Jeff,

Do not overlook the LS-3. It is a flapped ship but is very docile. Very
good performance (for the price range) and has automatic hook ups. A great
first ship and one that will probable take a while to outgrow.

Joe Hyde

Old September 6th 04, 02:53 AM
Bob Kibby

I have an SZD-59 ACRO for sale that may be something you might want to
consider. Much more performance than a PW-5 and not that many more $. 15
meter span for cross country with water to 11+ lbs/ft2 and 13.2 meter for
acro if that is your thing. Currently advertised in SSA September Magazine
issue. See http://www.ssa.org/members/johnson/ for a copy of the article
that Dick Johnson wrote on my SZD-59 ACRO. I had 100 hours of glider time
when I purchased "59A". Easy to fly and have been able to accomplish a Gold
Badge with 2 diamonds in "59A".

Bob Kibby

Old September 6th 04, 04:26 AM
Kevin

Hi Jeff,
While the posters below made some good points, they overlooked the fact
that you are training in a 2-22. These fly nothing like the gliders
they've suggested to you. Your SEL experience will help you, but
please get some time in a G103, K21, Duo, ect. before you fly any of
the ships listed below.

Thanks
Kevin Christner, CFIG

Old September 6th 04, 07:19 PM
David Starer

Good advice except I wouldn't agree that "most (flapped machines) have a
landing configuration that could be troublesome if you are not dead-on with
your speed control". In fact flapped gliders are generally easier to manage
on the approach because they become substantially less slippery once the
landing flaps are deployed, so speed control is easier. Also, small speed
changes equate to large pitch changes with landing flaps down.

The issue for a low-hours pilot is really whether the workload of pulling
the flap lever into the landing position once per flight is too great, and
whether the consequent change in the glider's performance and handling will
give a problem in the latter stages before landing. That depends on the
pilot's skill level, particularly his ability to judge an approach
accurately every single time. What you do with the flaps away from the
airfield really doesn't matter initially, as long as you don't exceed the
limiting speeds. You can learn the more subtle art of optimising the
glider's performance using the flaps once you've got used to the basic
handling.

At the correct approach speeds some standard class gliders such as the LS4
and Discus seem uncomfortably nose-up on the approach to us flapped flyers
and this can result in occasional over-fast approaches by pilots not
accustomed to them. This is not a criticism of these types, just a word of
caution; I'd agree with the recommendation that they are quite suitable as a
first glider, as long as the pilot has some glass-fibre experience
beforehand, such as in a K21, Grob Acro or similar.

David Starer

om...

Old September 7th 04, 01:35 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Jeff Runciman wrote:
[...]

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want_ads.htm
lists some gliders, fun to shop there.

Beyond that, everyone here has given sound advice so far (get
some higher performance dual, LS-4 is nice, automatic hookups,
etc.). So I'll echo their comments but add some buyer/owner
tips.

Sometimes it's easier or better to get something you know.
The local pilots can tell you a lot about their ships. And they'll
come in real handy when you want parts and advice. There are quite
a few gliders in your range, and your happiness may depend
more on support of pals and parts than a few points of L/D.

So a Pegasus or Russia AC-4c or Discus/Ventus/ASW
may all suit your tastes, but if you can find
one of these locally, that's good. You can assemble/disassemble,
ask about quirks, get in it for fit and comfort, etc. Maybe
you'll really love light wings for assembly. Maybe you can't
read yiddish so the instruments are yucky. Or maybe it looks like a
ugly blunt nose thing. Or maybe the interior is tacky.

Flying something before you buy is also real helpful. Some
gliders have crappy ventilation, and I fly in 100+ degrees.
Some have lousy vis, or come with a hella backbreaking parachute...

Beyond that, I wouldn't dream of owning any vehicle until
I'd compared likely insurance rates and read the POH. Beyond that,
since you are probably in USA, the accident reports by type
are available. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp
Look a bit, and if you notice a lot of a particular kind of
accident, or a high rate in general, then keep that in mind.
The insurance quote will likely reflect this. And these
accidents will be things you'll want to look for preventing.
Are the accident causing ADs complied with? Does it have
gear warning system or maybe auto hookup connections? Etc...

I see Pegasi in the 1985 range at W&W. There's a bunch of other
stuff, including flapped ASW-20s there too. ASW-19, Grob 102,
flapped PIKs, some LSs, etc. I know the Pegasi are reasonably
easy to insure, and do ok. Again, best if you can find someone
local and look at their glider first tho...

P.S. If this is my BROTHER Jeff using an alias, disregard all
of this and buy a 2-22 for $1000. Then take the rest of the money
and treat yourself and your brother to a one-month European
gliding holiday...followed by a week in Minden, California
(easy Al, easy) :P
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old September 7th 04, 05:41 PM
Willie

Jeff Runciman wrote in message ...
I have been reading the posts and archived posts and
I am looking for some advice on a first glider.

Can spend up to 35,000 U.S. dollars with trailer. (maybe
more based on your recomendations. ) Any help would
be appreciated.

Jeff

Take a look at the Alisport Silent 2
It offers good performance similar to or better than a PW5
or Russia and is available new. I own the original club version
and am very pleased with it's performance. My ship climbs as well
or better than any of the 15 meter glass birds and I stay up on
weak lift days very easily.

There are more considerations than just L/D when it comes to
buying your first ship. The wings are lighter and it assembles easily,
and with the shorter wings fits in the hanger nicely.

I preferred buying new fiberglass over a 20+ year old ship.
most (all) of the used ones I looked at had crazing and cracks in the
gel coat, and paying for a refinish would have made the costs too
high.

I'm not selling them, I am just a satisfied owner. I don't fly competition
but I can fly my Silent cross country very easily knowing it will land in
a smaller field and at a slower speed than some of the higher performance
racing sailplanes.

http://www.alisport.com

Willie
Silent 39 - (EK)

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM