best bet under 10K

Old March 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default best bet under 10K

Jack wrote:
wrote:

I left soaring about ten years ago because I didn't
have the funds to match my flying expectations.

...I am thinking of getting back into the sport.

I would be much happier paying $8K of so for a

glider I could use for a few years, and then trade up.

I was in a somewhat similar spot: early 2004, recently retired, power
flying background but new to soaring, unsatisfied with club ship
limitations, cautious with regard to investment in a new interest -- so
I bought a 1-26E. I could have found an older, even cheaper 1-26, but I
needed a D/E for pilot weight. I found a better than average example on
Wings and Wheels http://www.wingsandwheels.com/wantads1.htm, and
bought it as soon as I got over the butterflies. And I love it.

If you want something sleeker, and your Club operates only on weekends,
then having just one partner might avoid scheduling conflicts. If we
could fly any day of the week, a couple of extra wallets would
definitely be the way to go, and might even get me shopping again. But,
I'm not giving up the ability to fly whenever and as long as I want,
just to get 40/1 within a two day per week schedule.

From my experience with partnerships in powered aircraft I'd say, look
for a partner before your look for the ship. Like the soaring truism
that you buy your second glider for the trailer, the team is at least as
important as the choice of glider, I suspect. My guys were great, but I
was lucky.

I don't know if you'll find one of the better 1-26's in the US, with a
good trailer, radio, and instruments, under your ten-k limit, but you
might. But, whatever it takes, get a glider of your own and start
learning what it's all about. That's the best way, maybe the only way,
to really know where you want to go next.

Jack

And one of the nice things about buying a not so pristine ship is that you might
have the uncontrollable urge to tinker and improve her. Then when it comes to
trading up the gap is smaller, and you have had lots of fun, and learned a lot
about instrumentation and finish, sailplane ownership etc.

Just do buy someting that can fly cross country, and go and do it.

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57