"We're with the FAA"

Old August 27th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

Default "We're with the FAA"

ok, all that said, given the great caption this thread has; who has
had a ramp check and what was it like????????????

dan

Rotor&amp wrote:[color=blue][i]
Michelle P Wrote:
Chad wrote:

If you are part 91 you can politely refuse. Fly away.....
135 and 121 cannot.
Michelle P

not quite. you are required under part 91 to show certificates if
asked by any FAA official. the FAA can look at your aircraft, however
they cannot enter it without your permission.

for part 135 and 121, the FAA cannot interfer with a scheduled
operation, i.e. than cannot delay your departure time for a ramp check.

--
Rotor&Wings

Old August 27th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

I have had 1 ramp check I was on a ferry permit (airplane was out of annual)
I was asked for the usual docks + copies of logbook entries and checked to
make sure I filed a flight plan in compliance with the ferry permit. How the
inspector knew I was on a ferry permit and leaving that day I have no Idea!
Yea, he was from the same fsdo that issued the permit and flooding was
threatening some airports in the area and he was proubally looking for ????.

I had the aircraft log books so I showed the A&P's endorsement and had my
flight plan form printed and said I filed with 1800wxbrief for a 10:00am
departure the inspector said have a nice day handed me back my paperwork, we
went and had a cup of coffee or two in the local fbo and had a friendly
conversation about flying etc. He wished me luck and a safe flight I was on
my way.

If you have nothing to hide & aircraft is in good condition then you should
not worry about the ramp checks!

oups.com...[color=blue][i]

Old August 27th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

If you have nothing to hide & aircraft is in good condition then you should
not worry about the ramp checks!

That really says it all. It's a complete non-event, taking less than 2
minutes -- IF you've actually got your ducks in a row. (Well, this is
a data-point of ONE ramp check in 12 years of flying. YMMV.)

If not, your plane becomes a giant paper-weight, until you produce the
required documents. When we were checked, the Illinois pilot in the
Grumman Tiger ahead of us found that out the hard way.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 27th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:42:25 -0700, "NW_Pilot"
wrote:

- snip-
If you have nothing to hide & aircraft is in good condition then you should
not worry about the ramp checks!

I'm from UK and had a ramp check in Maui. I'd been for a flight with
an instructor/tour guide when a pleasant lady introduced herself as
FAA. She asked for my medical and pilot certificate (I have an FAA
certificate + UK) and if the aircraft was ok. I said I was a very new
pilot but apart from being scruffy I thought it was safe. We had a
pleasant conversation and I said I'd had turbulence and cross winds
but not both together for a landing. She said Maui is always like that
and you could tell with your eyes closed. No problem with a ramp
check.

I discovered the FAA had made a safety presentation, at the airfield,
the night before. That was really disappointing as the FBO never
mentioned it and I'd like to have attended.
Old August 27th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

Newps wrote:

Michelle P wrote:

If you are part 91 you can politely refuse. Fly away.....

Let me know when you do that, I'd like to sit on the ramp and watch.

I have and I will again. You will have to catch up with me though. I
have been through about a dozen states in the last six months.

Michelle P
Old August 27th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

As a matter of principle I will not be ramp checked...

denny

Old August 27th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a matter of principle I will not be ramp checked...

Will you show your required licenses and certificates as per 61.3 (L)?
Under that regulation even a local police officer has the authority to "ramp
check" you, at least to the extent of checking your license/medical certificate.
The officer may also require you to submit to a drug or alcohol test (91.17 (c)
and 61.16).

Vaughn

Old August 27th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Denny wrote:

As a matter of principle I will not be ramp checked...

You are required to show license and medical to any authority, not just
the FAA.
Old August 27th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Denny wrote:

As a matter of principle I will not be ramp checked...

You are required to show license and medical to any authority, not just
the FAA.

I'm a bit hung over; what authority outside the FAA might that be? (Yes,
Customs is one).

Old August 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Godwin

"Matt Barrow" wrote in
:

I'm a bit hung over; what authority outside the FAA might that be?
(Yes, Customs is one).

Police, Sheriff, etc.