help: kits choice suggestions

Old September 4th 03, 02:06 AM
Shin Gou

(Corrie) wrote in message . com...
alexy wrote in message . ..
(Shin Gou) wrote:

I just can't fly a USED certified plane in...........China. I am from
China and work in DC now. China prohibits imports of used planes and
cars(reason? I wish I could read the government's mind. But sometimes
they are very simple, maybe just to save face.) All airspace is dual
controlled from the ground by civilian regulator and the military.
Flying a Cessna 172 or so is extremely hassle and expensive. But the
tricky thing is there's no rule upon kit or plan-built planes. Maybe
the government never thought its people would build airplanes. So if I
keep a low profile, I can fly such a plane without filing and paying a
flight plan up to one week ahead, paying for each t/o and landing,
paying for the use of airspace, paying for ATC........etc etc.

So the rules don't anticipate homebuilts? What response do you expect
when you show up on the radar screens without a flight plan filed, if
that is normal for all domestic traffic?

I'd guess that he's expecting to stay in ground clutter, given that
he's puttering about in the foothills of the Himalayas. Not sure what
the radar coverage is there, if any. Maybe the Chinese are worried
about the Dali Lama's air force, maybe not. A fabric-covered tube
fuselage and wooden wing are mostly transparent to radar, aren't they?
Ehh, forgot about the aluminum dope. Big sky, small target...

I wouldn't expect to fly above 3000 feet AGL. The Himalayas area is
simply fun to fly and may be relatively easy to fly in the name of
"air sport" even if I don't file any flight plan, but not try to
escape radar coverage. very true there's very limited civilian ATC
radar coverage in that area, but you bet, the military radar covers
the whole area like a net--a double-layer net. My compulsory military
training in the high school was in a radar regiment's headquarter.
They have radar stations in most of those mountains easily above 15000
feet in Himalaya area, only accessible by mules and choppers (they use
the US blackhawk, interesting? I don't know which kind of mule they
use though), and they are not the only radar division there.....
Sorry to distract the topic. I think Moose is too big for my misson. I
am now looking fr a 2-seater which uses Rotax 912 or 914 engine(these
engines seem to be designed to use mogas.) The choice list seems
endless in this class, hard work ahead......
Old September 4th 03, 03:58 AM
Pete

I can't remember your initial requirements but check out the Europa
http://www.europa-aircraft.com/

There is one now flying in nearby (?) Mongolia - after fiying the Atlantic
and Pacific to get there.
http://www.thomas.scherer.com/

Cheers & good luck with deciding,
Pete
Europa A239 dual-wing

Old September 4th 03, 04:09 AM
Del Rawlins

On 03 Sep 2003 05:06 PM, Shin Gou posted the following:

Sorry to distract the topic. I think Moose is too big for my misson. I
am now looking fr a 2-seater which uses Rotax 912 or 914 engine(these
engines seem to be designed to use mogas.) The choice list seems
endless in this class, hard work ahead......

Slepcev Storch?

http://www.storch.com.au/

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old September 4th 03, 08:30 PM
Jbaloun

Thanks Del,

I was not aware of the Bearhawk. Looks like a great design.

Aviation is amazing. You study it for years and still find more that
you did not know.

James

Del Rawlins wrote in message ...
On 01 Sep 2003 04:32 PM, Shin Gou posted the following:
I expect to get my PPL soon and serioulsy consider to build an
airplane simply because it's cheaper. I naturally come here to sort
for help from you, the veteran builders (both skills and age. I am in
20s and I read the average age of kit plane builders is over 50--this
scares me.) Here are my requirements for the "dream plane" at this
stage:

snip

You might consider the Bearhawk, even though it probably has more STOL
capability than you need. The prototype gets good performance with a
180hp lycoming and several builders have installed/are installing IFR
panels. I believe the kit company has a builders' assistance center in
Florida.

http://www.bearhawkaircraft.com/