Sightseeing Regulations

Old August 19th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Sightseeing Regulations

A few months back, I was on an airline flight coming home to LGA in the
most clear day I had seen in months! (Haze in NY is quite common.) The
plane flew over Lady Liberty and right up the Hudson River at what had to
be about 3000'. It's a pretty standard approach, and happens frequently,
but it's not always so low, and not always on such a beautiful, clear day
with a perfect view.

Anyway, I tried to point out the view to as many passengers near me that I
could, but the pilot remained silent about it.

When I was deplaning I said to the pilot that I thought that on such a
perfect VFR day he should announce the wonderful view over the intercom,
and he said that he's not allowed to talk on the intercom below 10,000'.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I didn't really think much of it until the night before last when I came
home from St. Louis. This time, the pilot was kind enough to point out the
statue and the incredible view of NYC on approach. So obviously this is not
an FAA thing.

Seems to me like flying used to be exciting and pilots would feel like
tourguides as they described their routes and pointed out the wonders of
the world to their passengers as they landed in different cities. And I
guess there are still some "old school" pilots who still feel that way.

But I think it's a shame that this it's all taken for granted now.
Certainly visitors (and even residents who have circled "the Lady" at 500')
appreciate the beauty of the sights. Almost every time I fly home through
LGA and we do that approach, if the weather is clear, and people catch a
glimpse, fingers start to point and people from the other side of the plane
try to sneak a peak too.

Why would some wise-ass pilot try to pass off his own ambivalence as some
reg or policy?

"This country needs an enema."
Old August 19th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418

He;'s not being a "wise-ass". Google (or ask a line pilot) about "sterile
cockpit" a.k.a. FAR 121.542 , and then report back to us.

. ..

Old August 19th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Judah wrote
Why would some wise-ass pilot try to pass off his own ambivalence as
some reg or policy?

Because he doesn't want his ATP Certificate suspended or revoked.

Section 121.542: Flight crewmember duties.
(a) No certificate holder shall require, nor may any flight crewmember
perform, any duties during a critical phase of flight except those
duties required for the safe operation of the aircraft. Duties such as
company required calls made for such nonsafety related purposes as
ordering galley supplies and confirming passenger connections,
announcements made to passengers promoting the air carrier or pointing
out sights of interest, and filling out company payroll and related
records are not required for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(b) No flight crewmember may engage in, nor may any pilot in command
permit, any activity during a critical phase of flight which could
distract any flight crewmember from the performance of his or her duties
or which could interfere in any way with the proper conduct of those
duties. Activities such as eating meals, engaging in nonessential
conversations within the cockpit and nonessential communications between
the cabin and cockpit crews, and reading publications not related to the
proper conduct of the flight are not required for the safe operation of
the aircraft.

(c) For the purposes of this section, critical phases of flight includes
all ground operations involving taxi, takeoff and landing, and all other
flight operations conducted below 10,000 feet, except cruise flight.

Bob Moore

Old August 19th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Bob Moore wrote in
46.128:

Judah wrote
Why would some wise-ass pilot try to pass off his own ambivalence as
some reg or policy?

Because he doesn't want his ATP Certificate suspended or revoked.

So then was the pilot of the flight that I took the other night just a
cowboy?

Could flying straight and level up the Hudson River between approach segments
be considered cruise flight?