Gliding Club Experiences

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 6th 20, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Gliding Club Experiences

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 04:46:34 -0800, waremark wrote:

What did you do after lockdown? We were not flying dual at that stage,
so solo pilots all flew after the lockdown layoff (was it two months?)
without any checkrides.

I'd managed to do the the chalk&talk seminar before lockdonn, but not the
check flights. So, after lockdown was lifted I got 2 hours in our
simulator: winch launches, launch failures, general flying under calm,
strongish wind both on-run axis and crosswind. Instructor behind a glass
window and with intercom hooked up. I'd guess was about as thorough
checkout for launch eventualities and landings as can be done on a
simulator.

Passed that and was given a solo winch launch in an ASK-21, observed from
the ground by an instructor. Passed that too and was cleared to fly my
Libelle without the usual aero-tow for stalling and spinning in the
Puchacz. Pity: I always enjoy those exercises.

Our simulator has better than 180 degree visuals using 5 projectors. My
observations about it a

- I never managed a winch release without a stall, mainly because there's
no top of cable clue: it just back-releases. Winch power isn't cut and
the glider doesn't arc over as it reaches the top.

- The scenery is a good match for our local area but I found I was flying
cramped circuits, possibly due to display resolution or the fact that a
quick glance over the side doesn't help at all because all you see is
lino.

- I found landing difficult due to a lack of ground textu the initial
round-out was fine because the perspective view was excellent for that,
but the lack of close ground texture made getting the hold-off right
rather difficult: judging round-out and holdoff in the real K-21 is a lot
easier.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org