Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Old March 2nd 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Default Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Ouch! With you on this one Sean! After one season, taking another 200E hit
seems like my back is getting is wet!

At 19:04 02 March 2012, Sean Fidler wrote:
200 E + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe =3D $270 USD + $45 + $65 =3D
$3=
80 USD and 4-6 weeks? Sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive to me. The ones upgrading have
alre=
ady spend $600 and will have nearly $1000 invested in the product after
the=
upgrade is completed. $1000.

Is the upgrade just the screen? Or are their other enhancements such as
pr=
ocessor, battery? How about an IGC approved logger? Maybe an
miniatureize=
d espresso machine? :-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
appr=
oaching that of an iPad 2
(http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/=
family/ipad)

The price of a new Sunlight readable Oudie is set at $600. Expensive as
th=
e hardware, minus the screen upgrade, is likely very outdated. In my
opini=
on this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it for current
owners=
..

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. Included are all

the
=
mounts, cases and charges (wall and car). I used it last season in
contest=
s such as Uvalde, which was lots of sunny blue days, and it worked fine!
C=
ontact me at if you are interested. Thx.

Sean

On Friday, March 2, 2012 7:25:32 AM UTC-5, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!
=20
We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!
=20
Full news announcement is he
http://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/
=20
We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.
=20
Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

Old March 3rd 12, 12:18 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej Kolar[_4_] View Post
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is he
http://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar

glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

Wow! That was close! Just about one step away from getting rid of my Oudie because of not being able to see it in the real world. I hope sunlight readable/upgradeable really means just that. Love that thing....otherwise.
Old March 3rd 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Mar 2, 6:36*pm, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Ouch! *With you on this one Sean! After one season, taking another 200E hit
seems like my back is getting is getting wet

The reason there is no need to ship the units is they will just
replace the units with the upgrade. The upgrade cost is the cost of
the new hardware. You transfer your software and it is all set.

Not a bad policy. This is new technology, it is not like a software
update. How many computer companies give you the same deal when they
come out with a new model?

That said you can buy one of Peter's BriteNavs and keep your old unit
as a backup for about the same cost.
Old March 3rd 12, 12:39 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Fidler View Post
200 E + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 + $65 = $380 USD and 4-6 weeks? Sound about right?

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ad/family/ipad)

[...]

Opps, your right... got happy and posted to quick. Missed the part about 'I'm excited, gimmy $240 & the Oudie please, and your probs are over....

For Sale: Oudie $399.99 cents, that should fix it
Old March 3rd 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alpha Eight

Naviter went out of their way to enable a retrofit option for the new
screen. This is more than most companies do when they introduce new
hardware. They could have just introduced the Oudie II with the better
screen and a $600 price tag. So my hats off to Naviter for giving the
Oudie owners an upgrade path that makes sense.

John Seaborn A8

Old March 3rd 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

First of all, I think at Naviter's there are good fellows, and the company
must carry on first.
This said, let me smile a bit, with no intention to offend you or naviter's
business..

You buy the software in 2010.
You buy the Oudie, and pay again for the same software, with a discount, in
2011.
You buy a new Oudie in 2012, keeping the same software.
In the end, in 3 years you have been buying twice the hardware and twice the
software, considering updates.
But you only have one unit in your hands now, nevertheless you are an happy
customer, because in your opinion they might have try to sell you the new
hardware, with the software, for the third time. John I think you are the
perfect Customer for any company! ;-)

paolo

Old March 3rd 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some of the folks got some of the things wrong. Let's get them right he

1. There is no VAT for US customers or anyone outside EU, just us Europeans.. And then there's ways for those who are incorporated not to pay it. The end user pays. That's how the system works here. It's not all bad. Please talk to your local reseller about your end price. It will be in the 200-250 range more than anything.

2. The shipping will be your local shipping cost to the nearest dealer. Unless you decide to ship it express accross the ocean. Not something that we will recommending

3. We will actually upgrade your device and send it back to you - upgraded. All of your files and settings will remain intact.

4. Peter and Paolo complain about the price but make a few good points along the way. We actually have a worldwide network of dealers. There must be one in your country or else we are interested in having one. But dealers are not freeware, they actually work to make things happen. They take a fair share of the upgrade and all other prices. And their reward is well deserved.. When you pay for an upgrade or whatever you are sure that the person who sold you that actually cares about what you bought and will help you all the way as you use the product.

I guess that's the essential difference between freeware and shareware. People sometimes forget that being able to choose is a good thing. Believe me - I grew up in a country where there was very little choice in anything. What we have now is much better. But by no means cheaper.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.naviter.com

On Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:18:58 AM UTC+1, POPS wrote:
'Andrej Kolar[_4_ Wrote:
;810745']Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is he
http://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar

glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

Wow! That was close! Just about one step away from getting rid of my
Oudie because of not being able to see it in the real world. I hope
sunlight readable/upgradeable really means just that. Love that
thing....otherwise.

POPS

On Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:18:58 AM UTC+1, POPS wrote:
;810745']Hey group!

Old March 3rd 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oh, and btw.

If you want to see it - come to the BGA Conference in Nottingham today.

Not sure if the fog will clear, but you will see the difference anyway

SeeYou,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.naviter.com/

On Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:02:42 AM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

'Andrej Kolar[_4_ Wrote:
;810745']Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is he
http://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar

glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

Wow! That was close! Just about one step away from getting rid of my
Oudie because of not being able to see it in the real world. I hope
sunlight readable/upgradeable really means just that. Love that
thing....otherwise.

POPS

On Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:18:58 AM UTC+1, POPS wrote:
;810745']Hey group!

Old March 3rd 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Absolutely, you are right. People have to pay for the Service, and you do
give them an excellent one.
That's out of any discussion Andrej.
I think this new oudie will make many people happy, and it is an excellent
move!

paolo

Old March 3rd 12, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

sunlight readability on my oudie was not an issue last season. don't
forsee it being an issue this summer either.