Canadian PPL transition to USA

Old November 27th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Canadian PPL transition to USA

I did some searching on Google Groups, and haven't found the answer to my
question so far.

I'm a Canadian private pilot, who may find himself transferred to the US for
work (non-aviation related) sometime next year. I worked hard (not really
;-) to get my license, and enjoy flying every other week or so. I am
interested to know if anyone else has made the transition to be able to fly
in the US. I am aware that my Canadian license allows me the right to fly
Canadian registered planes in the US, but that will obviously not be the
case if I become a resident of the US once again (spent 3 1/2 years in
Virginia from 2001 - 2004 for work already).

Any insight on what it takes to transition my Canadian credentials?

Old November 27th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Once you get your citizenship squared away, I believe you would just need to
take the PP practical exam ('check ride'). FAR §61.39, paragraph (c)(1).

Any CFI 's out there care to confirm or add to this?

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict...

news

Old November 27th 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You will need to have a US certificate to fly a US
registered aircraft or any other, except a Canadian
aircraft, but can get one based on your Canadian license.
See...

§ 61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a
foreign pilot license.
top
(a) General. A person who holds a current foreign pilot
license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on
International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a
private pilot certificate with the appropriate ratings when
the application is based on the foreign pilot license that
meets the requirements of this section.

(b) Certificate issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate
that is issued under this section shall specify the person's
foreign license number and country of issuance. A person who
holds a current foreign pilot license issued by a
contracting State to the Convention on International Civil
Aviation may be issued a private pilot certificate based on
the foreign pilot license without any further showing of
proficiency, provided the applicant:

(1) Meets the requirements of this section;

(2) Holds a foreign pilot license that-

(i) Is not under an order of revocation or suspension by the
foreign country that issued the foreign pilot license; and

(ii) Does not contain an endorsement stating that the
applicant has not met all of the standards of ICAO for that
license;

(3) Does not currently hold a U.S. pilot certificate;

(4) Holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67
of this chapter or a current medical certificate issued by
the country that issued the person's foreign pilot license;
and

(5) Is able to read, speak, write, and understand the
English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of
these requirements due to medical reasons, then the
Administrator may place such operating limitations on that
applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe
operation of the aircraft.

(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on a
person's foreign pilot license, in addition to any issued
after testing under the provisions of this part, may be
placed on that person's U.S. pilot certificate.

(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an
instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a
contracting State to the Convention on International Civil
Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S.
private pilot certificate provided:

(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument
privileges;

(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person
applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the
appropriate knowledge test; and

(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand
the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one
of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the
Administrator may place such operating limitations on that
applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe
operation of the aircraft.

(e) Operating privileges and limitations. A person who
receives a U.S. private pilot certificate that has been
issued under the provisions of this section:

(1) May act as a pilot of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry
in accordance with the private pilot privileges authorized
by this part;

(2) Is limited to the privileges placed on the certificate
by the Administrator;

(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the
person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license when
exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in
an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within or outside the
United States; and

(4) Shall not exercise the privileges of that U.S. private
pilot certificate when the person's foreign pilot license
has been revoked or suspended.

(f) Limitation on licenses used as the basis for a U.S.
certificate. Only one foreign pilot license may be used as a
basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate. The
foreign pilot license and medical certification used as a
basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate under
this section must be in the English language or accompanied
by an English language transcription that has been signed by
an official or representative of the foreign aviation
authority that issued the foreign pilot license.

(g) Limitation placed on a U.S. private pilot certificate. A
U.S. private pilot certificate issued under this section is
valid only when the holder has the foreign pilot license
upon which the issuance of the U.S. private pilot
certificate was based in the holder's personal possession or
readily accessible in the aircraft.

You also will need to comply with the anti-terrorist
identification rules, this requires fingerprinting and
background checks and cost $150.

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | TSA Takes
Over ...
.... less who do not currently hold a FAA or foreign pilot's
certificate. Starting on
December 19, 2004, TSA will accept applications for all
non-US citizens ...
www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=44&
content=09000519800d8df4 - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | Alien
Flight ...
TSA Pilots & Programs ... for training in aircraft 12500
pounds or less for non-US
citizens who did not hold a FAA or foreign pilot's
certificate. ...
www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/
editorial_multi_image_with_table_0216.xml - 27k - Nov 25,
2005 - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.tsa.gov ]

If you want a full US certificate without limitations, you
will need to take the knowledge and practical tests for the
PPL, or if you meet the requirements, you can get a
commercial.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Michael Ware" wrote in message
| Once you get your citizenship squared away, I believe you
would just need to
| take the PP practical exam ('check ride'). FAR §61.39,
paragraph (c)(1).

| Any CFI 's out there care to confirm or add to this?
|
| --
| Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict...
|
| "Jase Vanover" wrote in
message
| news | I did some searching on Google Groups, and haven't found
the answer to my
| question so far.
|
| I'm a Canadian private pilot, who may find himself
transferred to the US
| for
| work (non-aviation related) sometime next year. I
worked hard (not really
| ;-) to get my license, and enjoy flying every other week
or so. I am
| interested to know if anyone else has made the
transition to be able to
| fly
| in the US. I am aware that my Canadian license allows
me the right to fly
| Canadian registered planes in the US, but that will
obviously not be the
| case if I become a resident of the US once again (spent
3 1/2 years in
| Virginia from 2001 - 2004 for work already).
|
| Any insight on what it takes to transition my Canadian
credentials?

Attached Images
File Type: gif ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif (142 Bytes, 1 views)
Old November 27th 05, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Michael Ware wrote:
Once you get your citizenship squared away, I believe you would just need to
take the PP practical exam ('check ride'). FAR §61.39, paragraph (c)(1).

Any CFI 's out there care to confirm or add to this?

not a CFI (yet -- but AGI :-) and the relevant chapter
is 14 CFR 61.75 ; does not require citizenship, but
things have become a tad more complicated since 9/11,
check out the following:
http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifimfaqa076.htm

--Sylvain