Survival

Old May 12th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Survival

To All:

Birthdays come faster as you get older. With one rapidly approaching
I've been advised that a certain gaggle of grand-children have pooled
their funds to buy grandpa something 'really good,' which just happens
to be a plastic gizmo consisting of a whistle, compass, thermometer and
magnifying glass.

I should mention that the gift probably stems from the question:
"What happens if the motor stops?" I explained that the plane
would then become a glider and that I would have to land wherever I
happened to be, which lead to: "How would you get home?" Walk
....and "What if you got lost?"

I'm quite touched by all this. Given the kid's financial resources,
the toy whistle reflects a significant expenditure of funds. Equally
touching is the thought embodied in the selection of the gift, in that
they would like to see their grandpa safe even if the motor stops and
he has to walk home. (Kids - - even little ones - - really DO worry
about such things.)

So I am prepared to be suitably surprised and honestly grateful. I
only hope they won't ask me to make a fire, plot a course or
demonstrate the whistle because the thing is a classic example of
Yuppie Junque, about as useful as tits on a boar. But like the man
said, it's the thought that counts.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Some years ago ( more than twenty of them, now that I think of it) the
few local homebuilders who were actually building something would meet
at a local restaurant to exchange progress reports, borrow tools and
swap lies. During one of those meetings we got to talking about pilots
who had Gone West and someone mentioned Don Jonz, a ten-thousand hour
youngster who was driving the 310, the loss of which caused Congress to
force us to install ELT's that aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.
That lead to the subject of survival in general and our own in
particular.

Most of us were ex-military and had endured the usual Escape, Evasion
and Survival schools. Two of them had even Been There; Did That and
got the T-shirt, so we were pretty much in agreement as to the content
of our crash kits. But a couple of fellows at the table had managed to
escape the joys of military service and sought our advice on various
'survival' devices similar to the whistle-compass-magnifier-thermometer
do-dad.

When we stopped laughing we took Rambo out to the parking lot and
encouraged him to demonstrate the abilities of his fire-starting lens.
Or fire-starting sparkler. Or what-ever.

In the middle of a summer's day, under a cloudless southern California
sky, the poor fellow spent ten minutes focusing the sun's rays onto a
crumpled paper napkin without producing so much as a whiff of smoke.
(For comparison, the grungy, scratched, lexan lens in my crash kit will
set paper on fire even before the beam is fully focused. Why? Because
that grungy old lexan lens is nearly three inches in diameter whereas
the Yuppie magnifier was less than three-quarters of an inch across.)

When you're trying to start a fire with a lens, success depends upon
its size. A lens three inches in diameter has nearly twenty times the
area of one only three-quarters of an inch across.

In the hands of a novice, spark-type fire-starters are equally
ineffectual. Not because they don't work but because a spark is not a
flame and the whole secret is the transition of one to the other, which
boils down to having your sparks land in a suitably prepared nest of
tender. Without the right tender -- and some experience in the
realities of fire-making, you can shoot sparks for hours and end up
with nothing to show for it.

As for the whistle, its frequency is too high, making it inaudible at
any distance. What you want is a plain, old-fashioned police whistle.
Not an English police but a downtown Chicago at rush hour American
traffic cop police whistle. Or mebbe a surplus Navy life-raft whistle,
which is the same thing only bigger.

All of this took place about the time David Morrell's novel 'First
Blood' got released as a movie which lead to the BFK Phenomenon,
which deserves a word of explanation. Given our location (Vista,
California is tucked into the arm-pit of Camp Pendleton.) it's not
surprising that a number of local homebuilders are involved in the
movie industry and even though 'First Blood' was shot in British
Columbia it had been in production about a year and people in the
industry were familiar with its script, which had been whipped into
shape by the late Bill Sackheim, a Hollywood producer with significant
credits. According to them, one of Bill's contributions to the
script was to have the psychotic lead-character carry a '...BIG
f**king knife...' Not just any knife but a macho-kewl Super
Hollywood BFK, complete with a Secret Compartment in the handle.

Big f**king knives aren't anything new but making one with a hollow
handle is pure Hollywood, since it weakens the knife... unless you
machine the whole thing out of a single bar of steel. Of course, when
you do that, the price goes up, as in WAY up. In effect, you pay about
a thousand dollars for the little bit of space inside that hollow
handle, which has to be kept fairly small because of the strength
issue. But that's reality whereas movies aren't, so the people
producing 'First Blood' got the late Jimmy Lile, the Arkansas
knife-maker, to whip them up a BFK to order, hollow handle and all.

Sure enough, shortly after the movie was released a fellow shows up at
the homebuilder's meeting to show us geezers his version of the
perfect 'survival knife,' which he refered to as a 'Rambo'
knife. Not the real thing of course, but a cheap copy in which the
blade was GLUED to the handle with epoxy.

I don't recall anyone laughing. At least, not out loud. But after a
minute somebody dug in their pocket and produced a Springer rigger's
knife and tossed it on the table. By fits and starts, all of us who
were carrying a pocketknife produced them. There among the coffee cups
and ashtrays was the Springer, a couple of Swiss army knives, an
electrician's knife and a couple of 'Boy Scout' knives, including
mine, which was made by Ka-Bar. Because the whole point is that the
BEST survival knife is the one you HAVE when you need it.

Over the next couple of months the BFK Phenomenon came up several
times. Most of us admitted to having a sturdy fixed-blade knife in
our kits. But they were real knives, usually a hunting knife or the
survival knife dictated by whatever Service we'd been in; the thing
the parachute rigger attached to your flight gear.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The point a lot of folks seem to be missing is that when it comes to
survival we never fly alone. When a plane goes down, we try to find
it, and the downed pilot is as much a part of the system as those who
are searching. In that context, 'survival' means facilitating your
rescue rather than setting up a homestead and putting forty acres to
the plow. And that means, when it comes to equipping yourself for
survival, what you have between your ears is going to be a thousand
times more useful than anything you might have strapped to your hip.

Another point often overlooked by homebuilders is that we're
generally forced to ride the plane all the way to the ground. No
ejection seat nor even a parachute, except for those first few flights
- - and maybe not even then. In effect, that makes the PLANE part of
our survival kit. I'll let you think about that for a while :-)

In the meantime I'll prepare myself to be totally amazed and
absolutely delighted upon receipt of my survival
whistle-magnifier-compass-thermometer. And I'll carry it with me,
too, as a constant reminder that even on a solo cross-country you're
never really alone.

-R.S.Hoover

PS - - All-Electronics will sell you a 75mm lexan lens for a buck.

The blade of a rigger's knife is slightly serrated along one edge.
It will slice through a seat-belt or parachute harness with ease.
('Springer' is the brand name of a German rigger's knife that was
very popular in the 1940's.)

Old May 12th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Veedubber...great story! Can I use that in our chapter newsletter?

John

Fuel contamination and other basic survival instincts Greg Farris Piloting 17 July 14th 05 10:45 PM
Whidbey Island Survival School JD Naval Aviation 11 January 16th 05 07:10 PM
US Air Force survival gun? Bruce W.1 Military Aviation 99 April 26th 04 10:31 PM
Survival Gear EDR Owning 22 February 15th 04 03:43 AM
survival kit water sources mah Military Aviation 2 November 13th 03 11:50 AM