What percentage have a power pilot license?

Old November 6th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What percentage have a power pilot license?

I was in this position several years ago, and I have to echo that while
soaring is great, powered flying can go on year round.
I ended up soloing in powered first, then years later started gliding,
got the PP-glider rating, followed it up with a motorglider
endorsement; and THEN went and got PP-SEL.

From an efficiency standpoint it is better use of your time to get

powered out of the way first, then you only have to take one written
test (at least in the US). Taking two writtens was a pain, not really
hard, just a pain with a busy schedule.

Unfortunately I live in an area without any clubs or commercial
operators within an hours drive so I end up flying powered most of the
time. I used to own a Ka-6CR (and an Ercoupe) and while I'd love a
motorglider, there are very few that are reasonably priced that would
fit in my hanger (ie I need folding wings). There are very few for sale
to begin with anyway.

Ryan

Old November 6th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lucky_day

Hi Victor,

I got my power rating first. Flew maybe 100 hours in 13 years... then
got a tail wheel checkout in a cub. The process of getting the private
pilot was fun and getting the additional tail wheel experience was even
more fun. I was getting tired of droning behind the prop at $100 / hr
so decided to try a glider lesson. I NEVER WENT BACK TO POWER! In two
years I racked up 200hrs in gliders and loved every minute of it.
Flying a glider to me is much more challenging and rewarding because it
is your skill and experience that is rewarded by great flights (at a
fraction of the cost too might I add). Flying a glider is more like
flying; flying a power plane is like driving the family car. You decide
which is more fun :=)

-JH

wrote:
Hi all, I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and start
flying. I thought about going straight for a private glider license.
But, I do have the option of going for the powered pilot license first
- then the glider license second. Any thoughts? How many here have
both? Did you get your powered pilot license first?

cheers, Victor

Old November 7th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"lucky_day" wrote in message
ups.com...
Flying a glider is more like
flying; flying a power plane is like driving the family car. You decide
which is more fun :=)

-JH

No argument on the glider part, but how do you arrive at equating flying
power to driving a family car? You've obviously led a sheltered power plane
life!! My bet is you've never flown a Husky A1-B on big tires to some back
country strips in Idaho! Now that's fun!!! (and so is soaring)
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Quiet Vent kit and MKII high tech Yaw String

Old November 7th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

bumper wrote:
"lucky_day" wrote in message
ups.com...
Flying a glider is more like
flying; flying a power plane is like driving the family car. You decide
which is more fun :=)

-JH

No argument on the glider part, but how do you arrive at equating flying
power to driving a family car? You've obviously led a sheltered power plane
life!! My bet is you've never flown a Husky A1-B on big tires to some back
country strips in Idaho! Now that's fun!!! (and so is soaring)

Right you are, bumper!

There's all kinds of flying to be done. If the OP thinks his type of
power plane flying is like driving the family car, I'd like to see his
family car -- but I would not like to see his power plane.

Jack

Old November 7th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Glider only... Oh, and I fly R/C... again, glider only. I built a model
with a prop when I was 12 or 13. First flight, I picked the end of my
thumb up off the ground and taped it back on. Doctor later washed it
good and taped it back on again. It's still there, but a constant
reminder that "I don't need no stinking propellers..." But then again,
they do come in handy on the tow plane... Yep, I've got my smart @$$
hat on again, but I wear it so well...

Jack Womack

Old November 7th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Well, you *do* have to be a might faster than the prop. I think that's why
they invented the chicken-stick and the electric starter.

Props can be substantially more of a problem when hand-propping the old
classics, like the Aeronca Champ I had (from '91 until earlier this year).

Still, there is a certain satisfaction one gets when flinging the wood
results in a puff of smoke, a cough or two, and then a smooth running
engine. More manly than simply twisting a key to start.

bumper
oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

bumper wrote:
Still, there is a certain satisfaction one gets when flinging the wood
results in a puff of smoke, a cough or two, and then a smooth running
engine. More manly than simply twisting a key to start.

You don't see it so much anymore, but back when I first started flying
in the early 70s, it took me a while to figure out why a number of the
older pilots were missing fingers on one hand...

Marc
Old November 7th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
bumper wrote:
Still, there is a certain satisfaction one gets when flinging the wood
results in a puff of smoke, a cough or two, and then a smooth running
engine. More manly than simply twisting a key to start.

You don't see it so much anymore, but back when I first started flying in
the early 70s, it took me a while to figure out why a number of the older
pilots were missing fingers on one hand...

Marc

Marc,

You made me stop and count 'em (g). If done properly, it's reasonably safe.
I think more aircraft were lost than fingers, hands, or larger body parts.
There've been more'n a couple of Aeroncas that departed the strip by
themselves. One even did a credible job of landing after about 1.5 hours.
Another, near Lake Berryessa, CA, was only fit for salvage after its
sans-pilot escapade.

IIRC, the would-be-pilots in both cases were uninjured but more than a
little unhappy.

bumper

Old November 8th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

bumper wrote:
You made me stop and count 'em (g). If done properly, it's reasonably safe.
I think more aircraft were lost than fingers, hands, or larger body parts.

I suspect most of the old-timers fingers were lost hand propping engines
a bit larger than an A-65...