Good GA Destinations in Hawaii

Old November 4th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
zatatime

Default Good GA Destinations in Hawaii

Hi,

Does anyone have experience flying around HI?

I'm going on vacation there and have a 182 scheduled for 2 days and am
hoping to hear about some, "Don't miss this" spots from people who've
done this before.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old November 4th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Nov 4, 11:39 am, zatatime wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience flying around HI?

I'm going on vacation there and have a 182 scheduled for 2 days and am
hoping to hear about some, "Don't miss this" spots from people who've
done this before.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Depends on which island. I flew around Oahu when I was out there on a
business trip, and it didn't take very long to circle the island. It
is exotic, and the view of the ocean and the bays are interesting. But
it grows old quickly. There was something like only three airports on
the entire island, and that includes the big Honolulu airport. Perhaps
I am being ignorant, but flying around there was highly overrated in
my opinion. But it is entirely possible that I missed some great
flying destinations.

Old November 6th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:30:36 -0500, "Gordy"
wrote:

Z,

I got checked out in a 172 at Kahului on Maui back in March 2007. After
hearing about the Maui cross winds, I had to experience them for myself. The
hardest part of the checkout was learning the local VFR approach and
departure procedures for the class C airspace, not like the mainland
airports.

A few days later I took my traveling companions for a flight all the way
around the island. It was spectacular! It takes less than two hours to go
all the way around including a few side trips to check out points of
interest.

The best way to fly around Maui is with a local CFI. You can spend more time
enjoying the views of paradise, taking pictures etc., and less time avoiding
the heavy local helicopter traffic. Would I do it again, you bet.

I was in Maui in March 2007 but having checked out in Honolulu found
the aircraft cost higher and they wanted almost twice the cost for an
the instructor plus $15 fuel surcharge. Any off island flights need a
full checkout and I think it was 4 hour minimum per day!

Having said that some years ago (different FBO) I have twice flown
with an instructor (a good tour guide) out of Maui. Landing at
Kalaupapa (Molokai), a nice flight and returned around Molakai and
Molokini. A very interesting sightseeing tour.

On another visit to Hawaii I was able to fly out of Lihui (Kauai).
Another spectacular flight around the island and canyon. This time the
FBO had stopped rentals but I persuaded them to let me fly the C206
used for tour operations (effectively paid for the tour). Wouldn't
allow me to land or take-off but I had the pleasure of another
aircraft type and had a tour guide - great scenery.

On a further visit to Maui I flew around Molokai and stopped for
coffee before flying over the shipwrecks and coast of Lanai. Did a
touch and go then back to Maui for another turbulent landing!

From Big Island I flew around the island and saw the lava flows and
steam produced when the lava hits the sea. Flew around some small
craters and landed at Hilo and another coffee! Continued the
anti-clockwise tour of the island before returning to Kona. Yet
another great sightseeing flight.

Two weeks after 9/11 I visited Oahu and managed to arrange a training
flight in a Cessna Seaplane for the cost of a sightseeing flight. The
arrangement changed on the day and I finished flying a DH2 Beaver
float plane around the south and east of the island (again no landing
or take-off!). Plenty to see of Waikiki and Diamond Head crater etc.

Whilst in Honolulu this year I checked out with a great CFI (David
Kress) at Moore Aviation. He's a commercial pilot flying locally. This
was my second check with him (foiled by thundery weather on a previous
visit). Due to very squirrely crosswinds and my unfamiliarity with
Class B procedures my planned trip to Molokai was cancelled. Not
helped when we got delayed by a blocked pitot system (no ASI reading
on take-off :-( All I managed was some of Oahu by flying up to the
north and around the coast anti-clockwise. I'm from UK and have a FAA
certificate but the checkout was little more than a BFR. This checkout
allowed flights to the islands and no pressure on hours per day. Great
scenery and another flight not to be missed.

If all goes well I hope to try to get to Molokai when I return later
this year. I've not stopped on Molokai, except for coffee, so would
like to hire a car or get a taxi for a look around the island as it
looks interesting.

It doesn't matter which island you fly from the scenery is great and
each island is different.
Hope you have a great time and maybe you will post to the group on
your return.

David
Old November 6th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:16:34 +0000, wrote:

David

I forgot to mention that you can get the "Hawaii Airports and Flying
Safety Guide (2007-2008 Third Edition)" which is virtually taken from
the AFD and can be found at:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/p...yGuide2007.pdf

The AFD (Pacific Supplement) is also available online as a pdf file.

You can't bookmark the page as it changes with issue date so. Go to:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_afd
Select:
Digital Airport/Facility Directory (part way down page)
Then click on "Supplemental" at the bottom of the map page.
The present one is:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/pdfs/pac_rear_25OCT2007.pdf
It's about 46Mb!

OT-Hawaii [email protected] Home Built 7 February 14th 06 04:29 PM
OT-Hawaii Montblack Piloting 3 February 14th 06 12:13 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Northeast Destinations Darrell Clay Piloting 3 July 22nd 04 07:24 PM
Arizona Flying Destinations Scott Schluer Piloting 12 February 27th 04 04:33 PM