String in the middle does not protect you from a spin

Old January 29th 04, 04:18 PM
Chris OCallaghan

This possibility was brought up deep in the bowels of another spin
thread. It a said, in essence, that the yaw string can be straight in
a steep turn while the controls are crossed, to compensate for the
overbanking tendency. If you are able to stall the aircraft in this
condition, that may well lead to a spin. There are some mitigating
factors, but I could see how one would develop.

It will be at least 6 weeks before I can get out to experiment for
myself, so any western or southern pilots who feel up to some flight
testing, I'd be interested to hear your results. Be sure to let things
develop for several seconds after the stall break so we know exactly
what is going on. Insipient phases of spins and spiral dives are too
easy to confuse.

Jim wrote in message . ..
I think the recent threads on spinning have been wonderful. I find
them a great help to focusing on such an important issue.

Somewhere in my dark student-pilot experiences I was shown that
coordinated flight, with the yaw string kept carefully in the middle,
does not guarantee against spin entry. As I recall, it was pointed
out to me that even with the string in the middle, in a steep turn the
inside wing is flying at a higher angle of attack than is the outer
wing. If a stall is induced in such a steep turn the inside wing is
likely to stall before the outside wing and thus will have higher drag
than the outer wing and the glider will likely fall off over the
inside wing. If confusion or inadequate skill or distraction get in
the way of an immediate recovery the higher drag of the inside,
falling wing may initiate an autorotation and possible spin entry.

Does this seem like a real possibility?

In any case, it instilled in me the knowledge that the yaw string is
not an indicator of the relative angles of attack on the two wings.