France Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

Old July 18th 03, 06:31 PM
bsh

Default France Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

PARIS - Goodbye "e-mail", the French government says, and hello
"courriel" — the term that linguistically sensitive France is now using
to refer to electronic mail in official documents.

The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all
government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest
step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.

The ministry's General Commission on Terminology and Neology insists
Internet surfers in France are broadly using the term "courrier
electronique" (electronic mail) instead of e-mail — a claim some
industry experts dispute. "Courriel" is a fusion of the two words.

"Evocative, with a very French sound, the word 'courriel' is broadly
used in the press and competes advantageously with the borrowed 'mail'
in English," the commission has ruled.

The move to ban "e-mail" was announced last week after the decision was
published in the official government register on June 20. Courriel is a
term that has often been used in French-speaking Quebec, the commission
said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ith__e_mail__1

Old July 18th 03, 07:23 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

bsh wrote:
PARIS - Goodbye "e-mail", the French government says, and hello
"courriel" — the term that linguistically sensitive France is now
using to refer to electronic mail in official documents.

The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all
government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the
latest step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.

C'est la vie. I feel their pain.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old July 18th 03, 07:41 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Larry Dighera wrote:
The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in
all government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the
latest step to stem an incursion of English words into the French
lexicon.

The action of the French Culture Ministry would seem a bit moot given
the fact that English is now the official language of the European
Union.

Many of the actions of the French seem a bit moot.

Old July 18th 03, 09:23 PM
Gooneybird

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:31:57 +0300, bsh wrote in
The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all
government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest
step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.

The action of the French Culture Ministry would seem a bit moot given
the fact that English is now the official language of the European
Union.

I don't know how moot it is, but it sure looks childish and petty to me. I
seriously doubt that very many Frenchmen really care that the five letter
acronym (email) is rooted in the English language rather than the French. It's
shorter than the Gallic substitute for it, and therefore more convenient even
for French users of the Internet.

Next thing we know, some brain-dead idealogue will be insisting that we remove
"a la carte" from all of our English language menus. Hopefully, we won't sink
to that level.

George Z.

Old July 18th 03, 10:33 PM
Gordon

oh THIS is on topic LOL
Old July 18th 03, 11:01 PM
Andrew Chaplin

bsh wrote:

[...]

I use "courriel" daily at the House of Commons of Canada. It works
much better in French than "e-mail". From the Canadian point of view,
it's a sign that French can actually grow and accept influences
outside France (even if it hurts). "E-mail" is too close to the French
word for enamel.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old July 19th 03, 12:03 AM
Gooneybird

"Brian Colwell" wrote in message
. ca...

"Gooneybird" wrote in message

[...]

Want to bet on it George...:-))

Not only "no" but an emphatic "hell, no!" (^-^)))

George Z.

Old July 19th 03, 12:04 AM
Sunny

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
__e_mail__1

I use "courriel" daily at the House of Commons of Canada. It works
much better in French than "e-mail". From the Canadian point of view,
it's a sign that French can actually grow and accept influences
outside France (even if it hurts). "E-mail" is too close to the French
word for enamel.

That's it ! I am going to scrub "par avion" off all my air mail letters
from now on.
No more enamel either, I will use paint.

Old July 19th 03, 12:19 AM
Gooneybird

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Brian Colwell wrote:

"Gooneybird" wrote in message

I don't know how moot it is, but it sure looks childish and petty to me.

seriously doubt that very many Frenchmen really care that the five letter
acronym (email) is rooted in the English language rather than the French.

It's
shorter than the Gallic substitute for it, and therefore more convenient

even
for French users of the Internet.

Next thing we know, some brain-dead idealogue will be insisting that we

remove
"a la carte" from all of our English language menus. Hopefully, we won't

sink
to that level.

George Z.

Want to bet on it George...:-))

How do you want your potatoes -- baked, mashed or freedom fried.

Thank you, Guy, for making me look clairvoyant.

I knew I could count on someone, Brian, which is why I wouldn't bet on it. Do I
know my American people, or what?

George Z.