ATPL student

Old August 23rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Default ATPL student

Thus the "frozen" thing. Basically AIUI, you pass the written but
don't meet any other requirements of holding an ATP (including
practical and hours). Seems like it could be up there in the list of
pointless pieces of paper one could striving to be waving around, but
since I don't know JAR/ICAO stuff I could be wrong about it's
significance.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 06:30:13 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

He didn't say, however, ATP ICAO or JAR would seem to
require more than 280 hours, particularly when he doesn't
consider the IR for a year.

"Peter Clark"
wrote in message
.. .
|I didn't know there was such a thing in the US FAR as a
"frozen" ATPL?
| That combined with the poster's message originating from a
service in
| Norway lends me to think he's talking JAR.
|
| On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:32:40 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| wrote:
|
| Yep, I think I switched the 135 PIC IFR time with the
ATP.
| Any case, with only 280, the OP has plenty of time to
study.

| "Bob Moore" wrote in message
| .122...
| | Jim Macklin wrote
| | You have to have 1200 hours with specific hours
| break-downs
| | to take the ATP [USA] you can do the IR right away.
| |
| | Section 61.159: Aeronautical experience: Airplane
category
| rating.
| | (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d)
of
| this section, a
| | person who is applying for an airline transport pilot
| certificate with an
| | airplane category and class rating must have at least
| 1,500 hours of total
| | time as a pilot that includes at least:
| |
| | (1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time.
| |
| | (2) 100 hours of night flight time.
| |
| | (3) 75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or
| simulated instrument
| | conditions, subject to the following:
| |
| |

Old August 24th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
N4865G

Gents,

Frozen ATPL is purely JAR licence required to fly commercially in
Europe.
It relates to passing the theory part of the rating.
You still need to have your Commercial, IR, etc. but chances of getting
a flying job without one are marginal.
ATPL gets 'unfrozen' passing 1500TT flight time.

Cheers

Dom

wrote:

He didn't say, however, ATP ICAO or JAR would seem to
require more than 280 hours, particularly when he doesn't
consider the IR for a year.

"Peter Clark"
.. .

Old August 24th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frode Berg

"N4865G" ...
Gents,

Frozen ATPL is purely JAR licence required to fly commercially in
Europe.
It relates to passing the theory part of the rating.
You still need to have your Commercial, IR, etc. but chances of getting
a flying job without one are marginal.
ATPL gets 'unfrozen' passing 1500TT flight time.

Cheers

Dom

Hi!

What I meant but described poorly, is that I have started the ATPL theory,
which includes the IR and CPL theory.
I have to pass the IR theory before getting my IR rating, and en Europe if I
later found out I wanted to get a CPL or ATPL (in ove 1000 hours time, I
know...) I would have to take the entire course one more time, as there are
currently no stepping stones up from the IR to the CPL. At least not here in
Norway. Maybe different in other Europe countries.
Anyway, the IR part is the major part of the CPL and ATPL theory anyhow, so
it kind of makes sense to do the whole thing if you don't rule out any
chance of wanting to pursuit the other ratings later.

Anyway, just excited I have finally actually started my IR rating (and
getting the theory done towards the other ones at the same time!)

:-)

Frode

Old August 25th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
TMG

In Europe (or any JAA country) almost any new IR student does his ATPL
theory first. There is so little difference between a full ATPL course and a
IR-only theory course that most do the full ATPL. If you get your IR rating
your ATPL theory no longer expires, so you are set to continue to CPL and
eventually ATPL.

It does make IR ratings unnecesarily complex though (compared to FAA IR)

TMG

. ..