Flight Safety

Old February 4th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Flight Safety

Jim Macklin wrote:
It is safer to a soldier in Iraq than a citizen in
Washington, DC [if the email I got the other day is
correct].

It's a total fabrication and completely wrong.

We've had about 1000 deaths per year over about
160,000 troops in Iraq. DC runs about 260 murders
over 600,000 citizens per year. Even if you throw
in auto fatalites, it doesn't get much over 300.
Old February 5th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Do you mean that email on the Internet isn't always reliable
sources of information?

I would presume that New Orleans is more dangerous now, than
DC. But Renfrow, OK is probably safer, even on a per capita
basis if you don't could natural deaths from old age.

Old February 5th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Matt Barrow wrote:
No wonder I freak out going up a 20 foot ladder to do Christmas lights, but
have no problem going to 20,000 feet in an airplane.

I've heard that from so many first timers in light a/c it isn't funny.
Many people are scared at first and then back on the ground they say "I
thought it would be scary being in a small plane but it is quite
relaxing." Sometimes I think the same thing.

Gerald
Old February 5th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
. net...
Matt Barrow wrote:
No wonder I freak out going up a 20 foot ladder to do Christmas lights,
but have no problem going to 20,000 feet in an airplane.

I've heard that from so many first timers in light a/c it isn't funny.
Many people are scared at first and then back on the ground they say "I
thought it would be scary being in a small plane but it is quite
relaxing." Sometimes I think the same thing.

The first time I flew in a small plane (15 years old), I was nervous (not
scared) for the first 15 seconds. After that, no problems.

My kids were all flying before they knew there was anything to be "nervous"
about.

Hell, my oldest went rappelling in the mountains, down a 350 foot shear rock
face, HEAD FIRST.

My wife was nervous the first few times, but never scared.

But, damn, I just can't handle a ladder.

Old February 5th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On 4 Feb 2007 07:03:45 -0800, Tony wrote:

(GA accidents divided by GA miles flown,

The multi-year average is 1.55 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours of general
aviation. Assuming a ground speed of 110 mph, that would come to
11,000,000 statute miles per 1.55 fatal accidents.

On average, there are 346 fatal accidents per year. The average number of
fatalities per year is 609. So, a fatal crash kills an average of 1.76
people per crash.

The death rate for 11,000,000 GA miles would be 2.71 fatalities. That
would give us 24.6 fatalities per 100 million miles.

The death rate for automobile driving is roughly 1.7 deaths per 100 million
vehicle-miles.

GA flying is appears to be 14.27 times more dangerous than traveling by
car.

(Disclaimer: I did the math here so I don't guarantee it, please feel free
to double check my work.)

The core data comes from:
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/05nall.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/publicati...l_Handbook.pdf

--
Dallas
Old February 5th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

But, damn, I just can't handle a ladder.

Get me in the John Hancock building, the Sears Tower, or on a trail
going into the Grand Canyon, and my legs are jello.

But I'll fly over 'em all day long. Go figure.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA