VFR terminology in Class B

Old February 17th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt

Default VFR terminology in Class B

Hello everyone.

Two months ago I flew VFR into Memphis. This was my first time landing at
the primary airport of a Class B. From about 30 miles out, the approach
controller was providing vectors and altitudes to maintain. I was told to
expect runway 27. About seven miles southeast of the airport I was told to
"descend at my discretion." I was not lined up with the runway at this
point, and was not sure if he meant I was just limited to descending or
should intercept the extended centerline. I asked him if I was "cleared for
the visual" and he replied that "cleared for the visual" was an IFR
clearance and I was not IFR. He repeated that I was cleared to "descend at
my discretion." I figured this meant line up and land on 27. I did that
and was handed off to the tower.

At most other towered airports I have been to, the controller always says
something like "enter a 3 mile base for 27" or "report a 3 mile final for
27" or something to that effect. I was expecting the same at Memphis. My
question is: Was the controller correct in this situation to use the phrase
"descend at your discretion."

Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

Old February 17th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"Matt" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

You said your were southeast. Lining up 7 miles out sounds like several
miles of going out of your way. No sense doing a 3 mile base to a 7 mile
final. In my plane, 7 miles would give other people time to get in before I
got there. Without a specific instruction to line up, I would have continued
on a direct line for the airport until I could do a base for short final.
--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old February 17th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
You said your were southeast. Lining up 7 miles out sounds like several
miles of going out of your way. No sense doing a 3 mile base to a 7 mile
final. In my plane, 7 miles would give other people time to get in before
I got there. Without a specific instruction to line up, I would have
continued on a direct line for the airport until I could do a base for
short final.

I mentioned the base and final just as examples of my experiences at other
towered airports. The point is that I did not interpret "descend at your
discretion" to mean "do whatever you want."

Old February 17th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt" wrote in message
. net...

I mentioned the base and final just as examples of my experiences at other
towered airports. The point is that I did not interpret "descend at your
discretion" to mean "do whatever you want."

Were you ever assigned any heading, altitude, or route?

Old February 17th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
Were you ever assigned any heading, altitude, or route?

Yes. He was giving me headings and altitudes to fly, as if I was getting
vectors to the localizer. But I was VFR. Not flying a practice approach.

Old February 17th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt" wrote in message
. net...

Yes. He was giving me headings and altitudes to fly, as if I was getting
vectors to the localizer. But I was VFR. Not flying a practice approach.

Perfectly acceptable in Class B airspace. If you were never told to proceed
to the field or resume your own navigation or anything else like that you
just hold the last assigned heading. "Descend at your discretion" would
cancel any previously assigned altitude, but not the heading.

Old February 17th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
Perfectly acceptable in Class B airspace. If you were never told to
proceed to the field or resume your own navigation or anything else like
that you just hold the last assigned heading. "Descend at your
discretion" would cancel any previously assigned altitude, but not the
heading.

That is my understanding as well. But the last instruction I received from
the approach controller before being handed to the tower was to descend at
my discretion. I decided to turn onto final without ever being specifically
told to do so by the approach controller or the tower controller.

Old February 17th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Matt wrote:
That is my understanding as well. But the last instruction I received from
the approach controller before being handed to the tower was to descend at
my discretion. I decided to turn onto final without ever being specifically
told to do so by the approach controller or the tower controller.

I would have asked. You don't want to play around in Class B.

When flying (san francisco) Bay tours, sometimes SFO tour routes you
over midfield when a heavy is departing runway 28. Sometimes they just
say 'cross over midfield' or give a heading without a typical IFR "turn
right heading XXX *to intercept Victor YYY." I know that after I cross
midfield they'll tell me to intercept the 101 freeway but I always ask
just in case there are 2 heavies taking off." Always ask because you
could be in for a rude awakening.

Gerald
Old February 18th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Feb 17, 3:15 pm, "Matt" wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

Perfectly acceptable in Class B airspace. If you were never told to
proceed to the field or resume your own navigation or anything else like
that you just hold the last assigned heading. "Descend at your
discretion" would cancel any previously assigned altitude, but not the
heading.

That is my understanding as well. But the last instruction I received from
the approach controller before being handed to the tower was to descend at
my discretion. I decided to turn onto final without ever being specifically
told to do so by the approach controller or the tower controller.

If the last instruction did not include a heading, you are still bound
by the heading that was assigned to you on a previous instruction.

Old February 18th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Matt" wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
Were you ever assigned any heading, altitude, or route?

Yes. He was giving me headings and altitudes to fly, as if I was getting
vectors to the localizer. But I was VFR. Not flying a practice approach.

If the guy says, "Fly heading 180, maintain 2000", and then sometime later
says, "descend at your discretion", that says to me you're still on an
assigned heading of 180 while you're descending.

If you suspect that doesn't make sense, you could ask, "Do you still need
me on 180?". Presumably that would elicit something like, "Heading and
altitude your discretion", which can be roughly translated as "Stop
bothering me and get yourself to the runway".