PDA's in flight

Old June 14th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

Default PDA's in flight

On Jun 13, 7:17*pm, Brad wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:55*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,

The IR port may very well be the problem. *The PDA may think that the sun is
another PDA trying to talk to it through the IR port. *I show how to disable
the IR port in training video #6 of my Pocket PC training. *You can see it
hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...TrainingCD-PPC

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"John Scott" wrote in message

. ..

I had a PDA mounted on the dash of my car that exhibited extreme slowness.
I finally discovered it was due to the IR port trying to communicate with
the sun. *I tried to turn it off in the software, but ultimately covered
over the port on the top of the PDA with a small piece of *black electrical
tape. Problem solved. I initially discovered this was the problem when I
threw my hat over the unit in disgust and discovered that the perforance
immediatly recovered.

You can usually see the port flashig if you point it at a webcam and look
at the resulting video on your computer screen. The webcam sensors are
usually sensitive to IR.

John

Hi Paul,

thanks for the video tip, I've turned off the beam function and will
let you all know what I discover next time I fly.

Cheers,
Brad

Please don't issue any stop commands while it's communicating with the
sun.

9B
Old June 14th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adrian Jansen

Andy wrote:
On Jun 13, 7:17 pm, Brad wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:55 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,
The IR port may very well be the problem. The PDA may think that the sun is
another PDA trying to talk to it through the IR port. I show how to disable
the IR port in training video #6 of my Pocket PC training. You can see it
hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...TrainingCD-PPC
Best Regards,
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
"John Scott" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

On the other hand, maybe a "Slow down" command would fix the global
warming problem. :-)

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Old June 15th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

Funny! On the other hand, if it does succeed in communicating with
the sun please post the resulting conversation. It would be ...
fascinating.

;|

Old June 16th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jun 13, 9:39*pm, Brian wrote:
On Jun 13, 9:48*am, Mike wrote:

Brad,

I am using an iPAQ 3970 with PPC2003.

I found 5.2.2 to be a bit buggy and went back to 5.1.8, although I do
not recall the problem you mentioned.

Are you using PPC2002 in your iPAQ? If so, switching to PPC2003 may
solve your problem. Not sure where you can find the update now though.

Mike

On Jun 13, 8:30*am, Brad wrote:

Anyone else running XC flight software on a PDA find them to be
sluggish and almost unuseable during a flight? I am using an iPAQ 3850
running XC-Soar, the unit is hooked to a Garmin Map60CS. Sure
everything works, but while in the air, if I push a button or touch
the screen somtimes it takes several seconds for the function to work..
This often leads to stacked commands that eventually cycle thru, but
inevitably end up not on the command I wanted/needed.

Case in point: Mountain XC flight the other
day.....................middle of the Cascades and I am wanting to
look up my alternate airports/LZ's.............it is almost impossible
to get the PDA/software to do this. Instead I just used the GPS, which
has the same data the PDA has.

Is there some setting on the PDA to speed things up? I know there is a
setting to allocate more memory to the programs....could that be
tweaked?

Thanks,
Brad

After have 5.2.2 just shut down, but still locks the Serial port
requiring me to do a hard reset on the PDA. I went back to 5.1.8 as
well.

Brian
HP16T N16VP

Got a chance to fly yesterday after turning off the receive beams
function on my PDA. I think that solved the problem!

Thanks,
Brad
Old June 17th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
D-0681

Sarah schrieb:
Funny! On the other hand, if it does succeed in communicating with
the sun please post the resulting conversation. It would be ...
fascinating.

;|

Please don't issue any stop commands while it's communicating with the
sun.

9B

use some tape to cover the IR-Port

PDA's Interface Ray Lovinggood Soaring 11 August 31st 05 03:20 PM
FS-PDA's Ed Hollestelle Soaring 0 September 21st 04 05:26 PM
FS PDA's Ed Hollestelle Soaring 0 July 21st 04 03:31 PM
PDA's Tony Owning 15 February 6th 04 10:20 PM
Overstocked on PDA's Ed Hollestelle Soaring 16 December 4th 03 01:40 PM