Microsoft strikes again

Old December 1st 10, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain[_2_]

Default Statistics 2 - Microsoft strikes again

D. St-Sanvain a écrit :
Some statistics about the group.
Number of messages, by name of the news reader.

And by year.

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr

Old December 1st 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

D. St-Sanvain a écrit dans
:
D. St-Sanvain a écrit :
Some statistics about the group.
Number of messages, by name of the news reader.

And by year.

Besides the number of messages (on my computer) posted by which news
reader, the previous charts shows that the number of messages
decreases.... (For the first years, it's because I do not store old
messages infinitely).
This one show in %. I put Mozilla and Thunderbird together.
OE is decreasing, we see Windows Mail arriving, and goind down, as Live
mail appears.
XNews is regularly increasing. So are "Others" (autres + groupe 1
autres).
Forte Agent and Mozilla seems regular (with two years not so good)

Make your choice

Old December 1st 10, 06:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Sunny

Default Microsoft strikes again update

"Indrek Aaviso" wrote in message

"Sunny" wrote in message
ond.com...

I copied this from the Microsoft WLM newsgroup:

Windows Live Essentials 2009
- For XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008
- Direct download Links:
Full Version Installer English Language version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe

"IE could not download the file, the server was reset"

Web Version Installer – English Language Version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

Saved the site to install on Win7 laptops later (Using WinXP ATM)

Thank you

Old December 1st 10, 01:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
flybywire

Default Microsoft strikes again

i too fell into the MS trap and downloaded in the middle of a load of
updates WLM 2011

what an absolute load of tosh

i too wanted out of the sad new world and found that i could restore my pc
to before the dreaded leech came in. I now have the previous WLM running
with all my newsgroups happy bunnies again. It did play havoc with Norton
firewall but they soon sorted me out.

and breathe

cheers
snowed in Mike

"Bill & Ange" wrote in message
The only alternative is to go through another browser like Firefox. I've
got Windows 7 on my laptop and hate trying to go through the Live mail to
get to the newsgroups. There are some stand-alones that you can access,
but I haven't checked them out myself yet.

"Indrek Aaviso" wrote in message
I have used Windows Live Mail for a while and it handled binary newsgroups
reasonably well. i.e. click on a message and the message and any contained
picture would pop up.

Now the geniuses at Microsoft have come up with an "improved" version of
WLM. This requires me to double click on a message to bring up a
thumbnail image and I then have to double click on the thumbnail to bring
up Windows Photo Viewer so that I can actually see the image properly.
After that, unless I want myriad sessions of WPV running, I have to close
the viewer and close the thumbnail pane to begin the whole rigmarole
once more for the next image. Mumble, chunter, grumble......

There does not seem to be an easy way to revert to the previous version
of WLM

Am I being ultra-dense, or is there an alternative?

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old December 1st 10, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Auld Phart[_2_]

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:51:07 +1100, Alan Erskine
wrote:

I use Thunderbird (from Firefox) - it's great compared to OE; hasn't
crashed yet, whereas OE crashed almost daily. Other than that,
Thunderbird reads groups just as well as OE.

I would not regard that as an endorsement. Just about anything reads
groups better than OE.

All the complaints about multi-part messages, yenc, and all other
modern practices come from people who think OE is a news reader.

Old December 2nd 10, 03:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mr. Frugal

Auld Phart wrote in
:

wrote:

I use Thunderbird (from Firefox) - it's great compared to OE; hasn't
crashed yet, whereas OE crashed almost daily. Other than that,
Thunderbird reads groups just as well as OE.

I would not regard that as an endorsement. Just about anything reads
groups better than OE.

All the complaints about multi-part messages, yenc, and all other
modern practices come from people who think OE is a news reader.

Thanks Auld Phart.

Been begging them for years to get real newsreaders. But most insist
on making MicroSoft richer for doing nothing. Honest newsreaders
would've cut down 85% of the little wars that break out in here from
time to time.

One of the last wars went on for months... tiring, very tiring.

Old December 2nd 10, 06:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Crawford

Switch to Eudora. I did
Old December 2nd 10, 08:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mr. Frugal

John Crawford wrote in news:EqHJo.826$AC3.503
@newsfe10.iad:

Switch to Eudora. I did

Wow, I didn't know Eudora was still around! I remember it as an
email client. I used the early version of it in the 80s!

My next move (in the early 90s) was into Xnews. Haven't needed to
do anything else regarding Usenet for 20 years. Haven't had to fight
the "yEnc Wars" with the MS Nuthouse Express users.

Xnews just deals with it.
Old December 3rd 10, 03:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Garrapata

Wow, I didn't know Eudora was still around! I remember it as an
email client. I used the early version of it in the 80s!

Overheard in another group, it has become sort of a Thunderbird
clone/chimera

[QUOTED TEXT]
it will still look like Eudora, but the internals will be based on the
Thunderbird code, and it will be free and open source. Here's the
Qualcomm press release:
http://www.qualcomm.com/press/releas...n_mozilla.html

--

09=IX

2 strikes Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 February 10th 10 09:07 AM
Prop Strikes [email protected] Piloting 73 February 21st 05 06:53 PM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Owning 124 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Piloting 139 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
the moron strikes again tony zambon Piloting 11 August 3rd 03 03:47 AM