Flight Safety

Old February 4th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Flight Safety

Last year in America, 1307 people died by falling off a ladder, while
only 733 died in plane crashes.

(Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/red/coun...ed-states/mor-
mortality&all=1)

The message here is clear -- we need to fly more, and pay someone else
to paint the house...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 4th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Milen Lazarov

On 2007-02-04, Jay Honeck wrote:
Last year in America, 1307 people died by falling off a ladder, while
only 733 died in plane crashes.

(Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/red/coun...ed-states/mor-
mortality&all=1)

The message here is clear -- we need to fly more, and pay someone else
to paint the house...

On the other hand only one died from being bitten by a rat. I hope the
message is not uhm... no.. I don't even want to think about it...
Old February 4th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is safer to a soldier in Iraq than a citizen in
Washington, DC [if the email I got the other day is
correct].

ups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Last year in America, 1307 people died by falling off a ladder, while
only 733 died in plane crashes.

How many people used ladders, and how many flew in aircraft? More
specifically, how many used ladders and how many died, and how many
flew in GA aircraft and how many died.

Old February 4th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

"Mxsmanic" wrote

How many people used ladders, and how many flew in aircraft? More
specifically, how many used ladders and how many died, and how many
flew in GA aircraft and how many died.

More importantly, if you have rats in your hangar and you use a ladder to
get into your airplane, you're pretty much a goner!

BDS

Old February 4th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jeffrey

"BDS" wrote in message
. net...

"Mxsmanic" wrote

How many people used ladders, and how many flew in aircraft? More
specifically, how many used ladders and how many died, and how many
flew in GA aircraft and how many died.

More importantly, if you have rats in your hangar and you use a ladder to
get into your airplane, you're pretty much a goner!

BDS

Flatulence and related conditions: 5 deaths

Old February 4th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

It's been a long time since I studied the stats, but I seem to recall
GA on a per mile basis was safer than a motorcycle, less safe than a
car. (GA accidents divided by GA miles flown, vs motorcycle accidents
divided by motocycle miles, and so forth).

When you removed the real bone headed accidents from the GA inventory,
like driving wile drunk or flying into IMC without proper skills,
thinks like that, it got to be about as safe as driving. Knowing
something about statistics and improbable events, it's a risk I was
happy to take.

It was a lot of years ago, but my own insurance carrier (Northwest
Mutual) did not ask for an additional premium because I was a pilot.
That's what improbable events are all about -- a typical GA pilot
might fly 100 hours a year -- say at 120 miles an hour -- so that's
12000 miles. He probably drives twice that (GA pilots do travel more
than most people) so the driving risk of accident is probably greater
than the flying risk.

I don't know what the risks are in playing with a flight sim, but we
have some evidence it makes some seemingly intellegent people become
difficult socially. It makes me wonder, does the frame rate flicker of
the sim induce some mental disorders?

Old February 4th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Tony wrote
It's been a long time since I studied the stats, but I seem to recall
GA on a per mile basis was safer than a motorcycle, less safe than a
car. (GA accidents divided by GA miles flown, vs motorcycle accidents
divided by motocycle miles, and so forth). ...

It seems to me that I'm MUCH safer in the air than on the ground. Take a
trip I make frequently: Denver to Salt Lake City. It's about a 500 mile
drive and I feel I have to be alert every second to stay on the road and
avoid other vehicles, etc. When I fly it's only the few minutes while on the
ground, taking off and landing that require similar alertness. I cruise for
minutes -- tens of minutes -- at a time completely relaxed while enjoying
the scenery and occasionally, eh, constantly watching for traffic.

Since the real danger is in the airport environment, I think fatalities per
mile flown are meaningless. The risk is the same whether I fly 5 miles or
500 miles with one landing.

Jon

Old February 4th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last year in America, 1307 people died by falling off a ladder, while
only 733 died in plane crashes.

(Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/red/coun...ed-states/mor-
mortality&all=1)

The message here is clear -- we need to fly more, and pay someone else
to paint the house...

No wonder I freak out going up a 20 foot ladder to do Christmas lights, but
have no problem going to 20,000 feet in an airplane.