Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

Old February 14th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker here, but now I have a question I hope the group
can help me with. I am working toward my instrument rating (21 hours
so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier. I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the
instruments seem to update at a slower rate. Not quite a slide show,
but harder than it should be to control. I've tried fiddling with
the realism and sensitivity settings to no avail. I have noticed a
number of folks posting on this group use this simulator to maintain
proficiency, and I was just wondering how you have it set up.

FYI...I'm using the CH products USB Flight Sim yolk, and the CH USB
rudder pedals. The computer seems plenty fast enough with a 256MB
graphics card. Like I mentioned before, everything is very smooth
except for the instruments refreshing.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Old February 14th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
rod

Kill the scenery. This takes a lot of computer power. If you use IFR
conditions where everything is white outside (no detail at all) I'll wager
your altitude control will be more realistic.

Rod

Old February 14th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 13, 6:48 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, said:

so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier. I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the

I had the same problem with the Elite PCATD at the local FBO. Finally I
gave up on the yoke and control the altitude with the trim lever.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian

I've tried just just using the trim in the past, (I have one of the
rocker switches configured to actually set trim, I'm not using the
calibration wheel on the yoke) but unfortunately that seems to
accurately simulate a real plane's behavior. In other words, I'm
either climbing through my assigned altitude, then overcorrect to drop
right through the bottom!

Of course my problems could be just my lack of proficiency using a
simulator. Maybe I'm just too ham-handed to make it work! Anyway,
thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the trim trick again tonight.

Old February 14th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

I've been told that all sims have overly sensitive pitch. That has been my
experience with a Frasca, ASA's Instrument Procedure Trainer, and Elite. Hard
to understand why no one fixes it, but apparently they don't.

Old February 14th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 02/13/07 16:43, wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker here, but now I have a question I hope the group
can help me with. I am working toward my instrument rating (21 hours
so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier.

This is definitely true. What I finally did was to make use of the
auto pilot. I can have it hold the altitude for me and I don't need
to worry about it.

At times, I'll use the auto pilot to hold the heading as well, but
this isn't as much of a problem in the sim, so I usually do that only
when it's a long flight along an airway and I want to just let it
go until things get interesting again ;-)

I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the
instruments seem to update at a slower rate. Not quite a slide show,
but harder than it should be to control. I've tried fiddling with
the realism and sensitivity settings to no avail. I have noticed a
number of folks posting on this group use this simulator to maintain
proficiency, and I was just wondering how you have it set up.

I can think of a couple things. First, configure the weather to provide
you with white-out conditions at the altitudes you plan to fly. This will
reduce the work load on the CPU for drawing all the scenery.

Next, look into your graphics card. There may be upgraded drivers for
it that will improve the performance. If not, you may want to look into
a better graphics card.

FYI...I'm using the CH products USB Flight Sim yolk, and the CH USB
rudder pedals. The computer seems plenty fast enough with a 256MB
graphics card. Like I mentioned before, everything is very smooth
except for the instruments refreshing.

Are you seeing this problem with anything other than the AI? I
see this a little on the AI but not on anything else.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

I've found the simulator to be very good at keeping me sharp on the
procedures, etc. Of course, I'd rather be in a real plane, but just
can't get out as often as I would like.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old February 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 13, 7:11 pm, "rod" wrote:
Kill the scenery. This takes a lot of computer power. If you use IFR
conditions where everything is white outside (no detail at all) I'll wager
your altitude control will be more realistic.

Rod

While I'm practicing, I am in the clouds completely. No scenery at
all.

Of course if I 'ever' do learn how to control altitude in a simulator,
I suppose the plane would be cake!

Old February 14th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 13, 7:17 pm, Mitty wrote:
I've been told that all sims have overly sensitive pitch. That has been my
experience with a Frasca, ASA's Instrument Procedure Trainer, and Elite. Hard
to understand why no one fixes it, but apparently they don't.

I haven't tried those simulators, just MSFS. I would be willing to
pay the bucks if it would help. It's a lot cheaper than an extra
lesson (or two or three).

Steve

Old February 14th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 13, 7:22 pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 02/13/07 16:43, wrote:

[...]

You know using the autopilot in the simulator to just hold altitude is
one thing I haven't thought about. The only autopilot I have in the
'real' plane is a single axis (heading only) which I'm not using while
learning the rating. Very good idea!

You are right about seeing the smoothness problem mostly on the AI.
This happens with no scenery displayed (in the clouds). I haven't
checked to see if there are any updated drivers available for my video
card, but I will! With everything else so smooth, it seems odd that
the instrument display is the only thing that isn't.

Old February 14th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier.

Yep.

I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the
instruments seem to update at a slower rate.

Yep.

I was just wondering how you have it set up.

Probably the same way you do. I just put up with it.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully

MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow Greg Brown Simulators 1 November 11th 05 07:24 PM
Instrument training xxx Instrument Flight Rules 79 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
Instrument training xxx Piloting 82 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
"one-week" Instrument Training? Rod S Piloting 7 August 25th 04 12:03 AM
Visual bugs in MSFS 2004 [email protected] Simulators 1 October 4th 03 06:34 PM