gear up landing of a Piper Arrow

Old February 16th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default gear up landing of a Piper Arrow

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/

click on "emergency response to troubled plane"

An arrow tried to bounce the plane on the runway to get the stuck
landing gear to come down, but all it did was make the other three
gear get stuck in the down position.

Old February 16th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

"other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?

oups.com...

Old February 16th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
"other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?

And isn't "three gear get stuck in the down position." what you want?

Al G

oups.com...

Old February 16th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 15, 8:41 pm, "buttman" wrote:
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/

click on "emergency response to troubled plane"

An arrow tried to bounce the plane on the runway to get the stuck
landing gear to come down, but all it did was make the other three
gear get stuck in the down position.

The area firefighters have been under attack since they decided not to
respond to a plane crash in January in which 4 people died. A witness
walked to the firestation and reported it, yet the fire department
didn't think a little airplane required a fire truck. One official
received an official warning, another was asked to retire.

-Robert

Old February 16th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Not on take-off.

Wheels down is only really important for the next take-off.

"Al G" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| "other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?
|

| And isn't "three gear get stuck in the down position."
what you want?

| Al G
|

| "buttman" wrote in message

oups.com...
| | http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/
| |

Old February 16th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Feb 16, 9:25 am, "Al G" wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

"other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?

And isn't "three gear get stuck in the down position." what you want?

Al G

"buttman" wrote in message
roups.com...
|http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/
|
| click on "emergency response to troubled plane"
|
| An arrow tried to bounce the plane on the runway to get
the stuck
| landing gear to come down, but all it did was make the
other three
| gear get stuck in the down position.

gah. I meant to say the Arrow has 1 gear that was stuck up, and the
other two were down. After the bouceing (which I have never heard of
anyone doing), the two that he was able to get down, were then stuck
in the down position. I was always under the impression that it's
better to land on the plan's belly (with no gear down) than it is to
land with only 2 of the 3 gear down.

Old February 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I was always under the impression that it's
better to land on the plan's belly (with no gear down) than it is to
land with only 2 of the 3 gear down.

Well, if the gear can keep the prop from striking, that's a good thing.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old February 17th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

buttman wrote:
gah. I meant to say the Arrow has 1 gear that was stuck up, and the
other two were down. After the bouceing (which I have never heard of
anyone doing), the two that he was able to get down, were then stuck
in the down position. I was always under the impression that it's
better to land on the plan's belly (with no gear down) than it is to
land with only 2 of the 3 gear down.

Having done it, I speak from experience: yes, it's better simply because you
have less chance to damage something. The only real difference is that when you
run out of rudder authority, you're going to turn no matter what you do. If I
had it to do over again, I'd line up on the opposite side of the runway so I'd
have more room to swing. Whichever gear doesn't come down... that's the way
you're going to turn.

All in all, it's pretty much a non-event. The media makes it out to be an
emergency but I'd call it a nuisance at most. You're not going to fly it again
for a while but nobody is likely to get hurt.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 16, 9:25 am, "Al G" wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

"other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?

And isn't "three gear get stuck in the down position." what you want?

Al G

"buttman" wrote in message
roups.com...
|http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/
|
| click on "emergency response to troubled plane"
|
| An arrow tried to bounce the plane on the runway to get
the stuck
| landing gear to come down, but all it did was make the
other three
| gear get stuck in the down position.

gah. I meant to say the Arrow has 1 gear that was stuck up, and the
other two were down. After the bouceing (which I have never heard of
anyone doing), the two that he was able to get down, were then stuck
in the down position. I was always under the impression that it's
better to land on the plan's belly (with no gear down) than it is to
land with only 2 of the 3 gear down.

Probably but I would have tried bouncing too. I doubt that it was the
bouncing that caused the two to get stuck down.
-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old February 17th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Always better to land with the mains down or with them up if
wing and nose. But A proper pre-flight and maintenance
reduces the issue to a rare case. But then lots of people
don't do the maintenance they should do.

oups.com...
wrote in message

| "other three?" Who knew the Arrow had 4 ?
|
| And isn't "three gear get stuck in the down
position." what you want?

| Al G
|

| "buttman" wrote in message

roups.com...