"The Unit" on CBS Features GA

Old October 10th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default "The Unit" on CBS Features GA

One of the few shows I follow on a regular basis (thanks to DVR). The latest
episode had a good 15 minutes of GA and the two planes they flew were
Pipers--an Archer and a J-3 cub. It had all the elements of a very enjoyable
show for me except for the fact that the J-3 was carrying a stolen can of
nerve agent and was on autopilot to kill the city of St. Louis. *sigh*

GA just can't catch a break. AOPA's got another front in their campaign--the
Hollywood writers and producers.

Marco

__________________________________
KFRG Feed at LiveATC.net
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kfrg.m3u
http://alt.liveatc.net/kfrg (if firewalled)

Old October 10th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

"Marco Leon" wrote in
:

One of the few shows I follow on a regular basis (thanks to DVR). The
latest episode had a good 15 minutes of GA and the two planes they
flew were Pipers--an Archer and a J-3 cub. It had all the elements of
a very enjoyable show for me except for the fact that the J-3 was
carrying a stolen can of nerve agent and was on autopilot to kill the
city of St. Louis. *sigh*

GA just can't catch a break. AOPA's got another front in their
campaign--the Hollywood writers and producers.

Marco

__________________________________
KFRG Feed at LiveATC.net
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kfrg.m3u
http://alt.liveatc.net/kfrg (if firewalled)

This was just a rehashed plot from over 40 years ago when Pussy
Galore's Flying Cirus used Piper Cadets to spray nerve gas over Fort Knox.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old October 10th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Marty Shapiro wrote:
"Marco Leon" wrote in
:

One of the few shows I follow on a regular basis (thanks to DVR). The
latest episode had a good 15 minutes of GA and the two planes they
flew were Pipers--an Archer and a J-3 cub. It had all the elements of
a very enjoyable show for me except for the fact that the J-3 was
carrying a stolen can of nerve agent and was on autopilot to kill the
city of St. Louis. *sigh*

This was just a rehashed plot from over 40 years ago when Pussy
Galore's Flying Cirus used Piper Cadets to spray nerve gas over Fort Knox.

Piper: the aircraft of choice by Nogoodniks everywhere! In any case, I thought
the midair collision was well done. But thank the Lord that the Archer owner
was thoughtful enough to leave the keys in his aircraft for the hero in these
days of heightened airport security.

Lest anybody get the wrong idea: I love the show. Never miss an episode....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 10th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

Marty Shapiro wrote:
"Marco Leon" wrote in
:

[...]

They also did a similar stunt to disengage the autopilot on J.A.G.
Rabb slipped the wing tip of his Tomcat under the wing tip of another
Tomcat which had had a bad O2 supply and was on autopilot at a sufficient
altitude to put the pilot to sleep. By raising the wing enough, the
autopilot disengage, the O2 deprived Tomcat descended, the pilot revived
and returned to the carrier.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old October 10th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Marco Leon" wrote:

One of the few shows I follow on a regular basis (thanks to DVR). The latest
episode had a good 15 minutes of GA and the two planes they flew were
Pipers--an Archer and a J-3 cub. It had all the elements of a very enjoyable
show for me except for the fact that the J-3 was carrying a stolen can of
nerve agent and was on autopilot to kill the city of St. Louis. *sigh*

GA just can't catch a break. AOPA's got another front in their campaign--the
Hollywood writers and producers.

I think that this attitude stems from the CBS management, which has
sporadically run hit pieces on GA -- especially on residential airparks.
Did you notice that it was "Pine Bluff Airpark" from which the bad guys
launched?

A J-3 with an autopilot? Give us a break, CBS!

Can anybody say, "Jump the Shark?"
Old October 10th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"john smith" wrote in message

I am trying to figure out what Bob "Cool Blue" did with that tennis ball
sized mic-muff. It was on the DC boom mic in the first airborne scene,
then subsequent scences displayed the mic sans the muff.

I knew this thread would soon turn to the inaccuracies! Should we expect
less from us pilots??

The one I saw was the altitude. When Bob called in at 4000 feet and
climbing, his panel showed 1,300 feet and level. The wonders of DVR and the
rewind/pause function!

The Archer he was flying was an '81 model owned by Hollywood Aviators.

Marco

Old October 10th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

Piper: the aircraft of choice by Nogoodniks everywhere! In any case, I
thought the midair collision was well done. But thank the Lord that the
Archer owner was thoughtful enough to leave the keys in his aircraft for
the hero in these days of heightened airport security.

Lest anybody get the wrong idea: I love the show. Never miss an
episode....

I agree about the mid-air. The CGI was well-done. Quite real. Even the J-3
crash looked real (maybe it was).

Marco

Old October 10th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

snip

I think that this attitude stems from the CBS management, which has
sporadically run hit pieces on GA -- especially on residential airparks.
Did you notice that it was "Pine Bluff Airpark" from which the bad guys
launched?

A J-3 with an autopilot? Give us a break, CBS!

Can anybody say, "Jump the Shark?"

I saw just that part of it with the Pine Bluff. My first thought was
Pine Bluff, AR. But there is no tarrain in central Arkansas like that. I
just walked in at that point, so I may have missed something earlier.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 10th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Marco Leon wrote:

I knew this thread would soon turn to the inaccuracies! Should we expect
less from us pilots??

Of course not! It's what we do.

I don't normally watch the show, but I happened to catch the action while
channel surfing. The J-3 doing 100 kts, with fairly sophisticated autopilot
(not just a wing leveler) was pretty impressive. At one point, the Archer
pilot is instructed to "squawk your transponder" so that he can be located,
but they don't give him a code to squawk. I don't have Tivo, so I'm still a
bit leery of how the Archer was able to hit the J-3 hard enough to pitch it
up into a stall, yet avoid what should have been a fairly major prop strike.
Also, the terrain was obviously CA and not AR.

I checked the registration on the Archer and it apparently was registered
to a new owner about 3 weeks ago. I wonder if the new owner was surprised to
see his new bird bashing J-3s on TV :-)

Overall, for an aviation-related Hollywood production, they didn't do too
badly on the technical details. I've seen a lot worse.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old October 10th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
news.verizon.net

ident was too foreign for them to say at least squawk your transponder can
be puzzled out. that and the whole idea that the bad guys would have turned
on his transponder to begin with was a joke. I don't believe there is skin
paint radar in that area that can paint down that low. As I recall they
were operating in the 2-4000 foot range.