Waiting - 081203_08.jpg (1/1)

Old December 4th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

Default Waiting - 081203_08.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	081203_08.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	31062
Old December 4th 08, 12:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Bruce R

"RustYŠ" wrote in message
53...t

What's the dirty smudge coming off the left wing root area?

Bruce

Old December 4th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Maple1

Bruce R wrote:

"RustYŠ" wrote in message
53...t

What's the dirty smudge coming off the left wing root area?

Bruce

APU exhaust
Old December 4th 08, 04:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Isaac A.

Such an ugly plane , i would'nt waste my time taking pictures of it , as
next pics are showing one of the smartest jet fighter : F 15 ;o)

Old December 5th 08, 02:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Bruce R

"Maple1" wrote in message
What's the dirty smudge coming off the left wing root area?

Bruce

APU exhaust

Could you clarify for me item/purpose etc for it? Not being a jet jockey I
am clueless..............no comments from the Peanut Gallery please.

Bruce

Old December 5th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Maple1

Bruce R wrote:

"Maple1" wrote in message

What's the dirty smudge coming off the left wing root area?

Bruce

APU exhaust

Could you clarify for me item/purpose etc for it? Not being a jet
jockey I am clueless..............no comments from the Peanut Gallery
please.

Bruce

It is the Auto Power Unit sort of like the starter on your car It is a
timy turbine unit. They start it and it has enough power to get the
systems going and turn the main turbine to get the engine going. Prior
to the Apu they used an explosive charge to get the turbine spining Very
cool start up but a pain in the tail pipe.
LOL

Old December 5th 08, 05:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Bruce R

"Maple1" wrote in message
Prior to the Apu they used an explosive charge to get the turbine spining
Very cool start up but a pain in the tail pipe.
LOL

Is that like the starter cartridges you see in the movies starting up some
huge radial engine?

Old December 5th 08, 05:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.military
Dennis[_5_]

"Maple1" wrote

Is that like the starter cartridges you see in the movies starting up
some huge radial engine?

Yes

Actually, no. The APU, or auxillary power unit, provides electrical power
while the engines are not running. Cartridge starts are a different matter
all together.

When I was at Offutt AFB in the days of Looking Glass, I was called out
because of a stuck "crossover valve". That valve allows air from the left
side over to the right. Normal starting procedure was to start the number 2
engine first, and then use the air off it to start the other three. Since
the crossover wouldn't allow air over to numbers three and four, we made the
decision to do a cartridge start on #3 and use its air to crank up #4.
Mission accomplished with on-time takeoff.

Been 38+ years since I walked off the flight line for that last time, but I
seem to remember in aircraft that were equipped with APU's, they were
generally in a wheel well. Not all fighters aircraft had APU's.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cart-start.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	31110
Old December 17th 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.military,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

On 4-Dec-2008, "Bruce R" wrote:

Is that like the starter cartridges you see in the movies starting up some

huge radial engine?

There is a famous scene in the movie "Flight of the Phoenix" where they use
those cartridges.