Connecting lap top to CAI 302

Old June 6th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
apsoars

Default Connecting lap top to CAI 302

I realize that the first weekend of June is a little late to take your
first glider flights of the year. Yeah, I missed some great days in
May. Regardless, had two wonderful flights, but can't get my laptop
to connect to the 302. Using the same set up as last year (Dell
Latitude with Windows XP) can't connect with eithe the USB-RS232
adapter or with the straight USB (my 302 has both connectors.) Using
the USB port on the 302, the lap top is looking for the DLP-TXRX.
From what I remember (can't find the paper) the 302 is supposed to
have the necessary software on it when it connects.

I tryed my HP with Windows 7, and same problems. Failed to connect to
the device. Does anyone have any ideas? Moriarty in a week, so I
need to get this resolved.

Or, if anyone can steer me towards a USB-RS232 Driver for windows,
that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Andrew, 3T
Old June 6th 11, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 03:23 06 June 2011, apsoars wrote:
I realize that the first weekend of June is a little late to take your
first glider flights of the year. Yeah, I missed some great days in
May. Regardless, had two wonderful flights, but can't get my laptop
to connect to the 302. Using the same set up as last year (Dell
Latitude with Windows XP) can't connect with eithe the USB-RS232
adapter or with the straight USB (my 302 has both connectors.) Using
the USB port on the 302, the lap top is looking for the DLP-TXRX.
From what I remember (can't find the paper) the 302 is supposed to
have the necessary software on it when it connects.

I tryed my HP with Windows 7, and same problems. Failed to connect to
the device. Does anyone have any ideas? Moriarty in a week, so I
need to get this resolved.

Or, if anyone can steer me towards a USB-RS232 Driver for windows,
that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Andrew, 3T

maybe this thread will help
http://ras.gliderpilot.net/?op=s2&id=90595&vt=0

Old June 6th 11, 12:45 PM
AttetAbesee AttetAbesee is offline
Junior Member

watch the whole Who Is Clark Rockefeller? movie Download Megan Is Missing Movie In Hd Quality movie free The Rig apple film trailer Glenn 3948 The Whole Subhapradam Film Online the The Violent Kind movie full hd Dead Space: Aftermath film website William & Kate Film Soundtrack The Dilemma Dvdrip S.W.A.T.: Firefight Movie Reviews Remember Me Movie Sales Download Mars Needs Moms Film In Ipod Download The Dilemma Film Legal
Old June 6th 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

Do you have the switch in the correct position on the back of the 302.
Slide it towards the connection type that you're using. Either towards
the serial port or towards the USB port.
Old June 6th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_2_]

At 13:24 06 June 2011, Westbender wrote:
Do you have the switch in the correct position on the back of the 302.
Slide it towards the connection type that you're using. Either towards
the serial port or towards the USB port.

I just tried to connect to a friends 302 via a serial cable and port on
the computer (IBM thinkpad running XP) and using SeeYou older editon at
least 5 years Old. Using connection wizard under files in seeyou, I get
connected and see all of the log files (7 or so) on the screen. Our
original intent was to delete the files so it would not be overwriting and
not giving a OLC valid file when he downloaded his log from the connected
PDA. First it does not have a "delete" option and second it locks up
while trying to "download" any flight log. Now it was VERY hot out
yesterday while we were trying this and my computer was acting up so we
quit. But I have a few questions, should the seeyou software be able to
delete the files after downloading and two should he be having a
validation problem if the 302 is overwriting its full memory? And three
can the memory be full after just 7 flights?

CH

Old June 6th 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andrew,

As someone else already suggested, make sure the switch on the back of the
302 is toward the side of port (USB or serial) that you are using.

I found that the Cambridge 302's USB to serial converter is a bit weak/poor.
It worked for me after rebooting my PC.

If you can't get those items to work, I highly recommend a Keyspan USB
Adapter. For years I was convinced that all USB to serial adapters were
junk. But the Keyspan has worked great for me with nearly all soaring
instruments. It is what I use to connect to 302's often. You can see
details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/keyspan.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"apsoars" wrote in message
I realize that the first weekend of June is a little late to take your
first glider flights of the year. Yeah, I missed some great days in
May. Regardless, had two wonderful flights, but can't get my laptop
to connect to the 302. Using the same set up as last year (Dell
Latitude with Windows XP) can't connect with eithe the USB-RS232
adapter or with the straight USB (my 302 has both connectors.) Using
the USB port on the 302, the lap top is looking for the DLP-TXRX.
From what I remember (can't find the paper) the 302 is supposed to

Old June 6th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 6, 8:42*am, Cliff Hilty
wrote:
[...]

302 memory never fills up it wraps and records for ever and ever and
ever.

However the 302 will sometimes give a file security error. It is now
widely believed that this error is caused at the time the recording
wraps back to the begining of memory.

Email me off group for help in clearing logs. However now the error is
happened it won't happen again until the memory wraps the next time so
no real need to do anything now.

Andy
Old June 7th 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
apsoars

Thanks for the ideas. Switch position was not the culprit. I am
working with Jeff at R-Track Technology to get the drivers for the USB
port. Also am going to try and download a driver for the USB-RS232
adapter I already have and have used in the past. In the mean time, I
found a computer with a RS-232 port and was able to download the
flights. So, I am good to go for now.

CH - I have also run into the memory wrapping feature that causes a
security fail. For me, it happend on a single flight. its possible
that it could happen after only 7 flights, if they were long flights
and the sample rate was high (mine is set at 4 sec.) I do not know of
a way to make the file secure and get it to pass the checks. if you
don't wipe the memory of the 302, you run the risk of losing a flight
(OLC, Badge, and possibly contest - though I'd hope they would still
score you, since it is a known problem and you can still read the
flight file.)

Old June 8th 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 7, 1:49*pm, Cliff Hilty wrote:
At 13:45 07 June 2011, apsoars wrote:

[...]

Its not mine its CA1's (not CAI) and his flights that he is downloading
into his PDA from the 302 are showing up greyed out on OLC but scored. He
was told that it was because the flights are wrapping over the old ones.
It is not just a single flight it is every flight. *I was suprised that my
older version of SeeYou on my laptop connected to the 302 but would hang up
upon trying to download. IIRC I could not delete the files from a cambridge
10-20-25 unless I downloaded them first then the option to delete was
there. This is my first experience with the 302!

CH- Hide quoted text -

If every flight log shows security fail the next step should be to
check the security indication on the instrument itself. See my post to
ASA site.

Andy
Old June 8th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
apsoars

Borrowed the most recent Cambridge CD (V2.64 - not to be confused with
firmware v2.63 on the 302) that had the drivers for the USB
connection, instructions for deleting flight logs from the 302. Jeff
at R-Track Technologies tried to send them to me, but the firewalls
and anti-virus software didn't like the .exe files.

Happy to report that I can connect with the 302 using the USB, as well
as my own USB-RS232 adapter cable through the serial port, on at least
two different computers. Everything plays nicely (no crazy mouse
syndrome). I cleared off the flight logs (after grabbing files for
HyperTerminal - not included in Windows 7), and up loaded turn points
for Moriarty.

Now its time to start marking up the maps!

Andrew