A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help with location of transponder antenna

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 7th 13, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Help with location of transponder antenna

Glider is a Discus 2cT (carbon fuse). Antenna is an external aerodynamic blade style.

Although at some point SH mentioned mounting an antenna on top of the fuse BEHIND the engine bay I have been unable to obtain any drawings or specifications on how to reach this location and it looks like a major PIA to do so..

Assuming there are no details on the rear location mount, my preferred choices would be:

Location 1): On top of the fuse approximately 12" behind the canopy mounted directly in the center. This would be a simple and aesthetically pleasing install but I have not been able to find any data to prove or disprove any health risks by mounting the antenna this close to my (IMO) good looking cranium.

Given the requirement to mount the antenna externally due to the carbon fuse blocking an interior signal from getting OUT, I'm left wondering if the same carbon fuse should then protect me from an external antenna signal coming back IN? (I also heard a rumor that Knoff mounted an antenna in this location on a Duo Discus?)

Location 2: Next to the gear pointing out (down) at roughly 45 degrees. This is again an easy install, astheticaly a little less pleasing being offset at an angle, and once again brings up the question of proximity to my brain.

Thanks so much for any input.

Scott