Looking for a two-seater design

Old December 20th 04, 11:59 PM
Lou

Shin Gou wrote:
Note the 230mph maximum speed is in Mooney's press release... We'll
see.

Did anyone see a price?
Lou

Old December 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Byron J. Covey

Not many aircraft (other than special purpose homebuilts) actually achieve a
top speed:stall speed ratio of 4, much less a max cruise: stall speed ratio
of 4. Of course, some consider max cruise to be maximum speed at any (read
"low") altitude.

Examples:

Aircraft Top Speed:Stall Speed at gross
150 HP RV-3 4.1
180 HP RV-4 3.9
200 HP RV-8 3.8
160 HP RV-9 3.9
260 HP RV-10 3.3

The typical RV-3 that is going that fast is operating at well over the 2700
RPM where the engine is rated 150 HP.

The prototype GlaStar was designed and flown successfully with the O-240.

BJC

Depends on what they mean by maximum. A ratio of 6:1 for max cruise over
stall would be pretty magical. 4:1 is more like it for a good homebuilt
and few spam cans attain 3:1. However, if they are talking about Vne,
then 6:1 might not be so unreasonable.

Matt

Old December 21st 04, 02:19 AM
Bob Korves

"Shin Gou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just looked at Toxo website a little more carefully and I feel some
suspicious. They quote "maximum 230mph, stall at 40mph with Jabiru 3300
120hp" And there's no weight information at the website. Maximum and
stall speeds ratio almost 6:1? Tooooo good to be true.

If the airplane stalls at 40 mph, then it stalls at 80 mph at 4 G's. This
same airplane would stall at 16 G's at 160 mph. 230? Get real, small gusts
alone would kill you at that speed. One or the other (or more likely both)
of those numbers is pure fiction. To paraphrase an old saw: "There are
lies, damned lies, and specifications for homebuilts".
-Bob

Old December 21st 04, 06:44 AM

I'm looking for the same kind of thing. An aircraft that can take a
Rotax 914. The other thing I want is tandem seating like the Rv-4/8.
The Titan T-51 seems close although 2 sets of controls would be nice.
That turbo charger and a polished silver T-51 way up high in the cold
blue would be someting to see.

Shin Gou wrote:
that has about 100hp, can fly basic aerobatics safely and cruise at
least 150mph. My reference and comparison of this design is Cessna
A150. I want a design that has the same aerobtic capability as Cessna
A150 with lighter control(Stick of course!), and flys much faster.

What
I can think of a
Europa (not very aerobatic capable), Avid Acrobat/Kitfox speedster
(slow), MCR100 (sophisiticated construction, quoted 5000 labor

hours),
Sonerai/Sonex (suggested pilot only to fly acro), KR-2(not very
aerobatic capable)

I know everyone will say, for your mission, go build a RV. Actually,
what I want IS a RV--a 100hp RV. Why do I want a 100hp airplane?
Because I like Cessna A150, but it's just too slow. I belive with the
latest material development and design method, there should be a much
improved Cessna A150 type plane. The building cost and ownership of a
100hp RV-type plane is certainly lower than a real RV.

If no new suggestion comes up, I will probably bite the bullet to go
with a MCR100. A friend of mine is building a Cri-Cri, genious

design,
so I am sure I won't go wrong with the two-seater MCR100, just a
loooong time to build. OR, I may want to be too stupid to design

such
a plane myself. What's the aerodynamic relationship between aerobatic
capability and fast cruising speed?

Design Software Brad Mallard Home Built 12 November 12th 04 09:54 AM
Aircraft Design 1942 flying boats FA Sally Home Built 0 August 19th 04 06:49 PM
amateur design consultant? Shin Gou Home Built 14 June 30th 04 01:34 AM
Ducted Fan Design David Home Built 5 February 7th 04 06:15 AM
Carbon Spar design and construction workshop Marske Flying Wings Home Built 0 September 18th 03 05:47 PM