Narrowing it down... Comanche?

Old February 27th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Narrowing it down... Comanche?

On 2006-02-26, Matt Barrow wrote:
I've had a 182 and now a Bonanza and they are well suited to mountain
VFR
flight. I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere , in or out of the
mountains,
in either plane.

Even a NA Bonanza still has reserves of power -- I'm not sure a Comanche
250
does.

Depends how heavy you are. With 4 people and at max gross, the Comanche
struggles (in my direct experience) and has a very slow climb rate above
10,000 feet in the warmer part of the year, but I bet if flown solo (or
well below gross) it's adequate.

A Bonanza will always outclimb a Comanche.

Out here in the Rockies, I want something that climbs like a homesick angel.
--
Matt
---------------------

Old February 27th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dylan Smith wrote:

A 450nm trip (let's ignore time to climb)

Then the S35 gets 175 kts.

Pathfinder: 140kts
Comanche: 157kts
S-35 Bonanza: 165kts

Old February 27th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

After the novelty wears off, long trips suck in a slow airplane.

Old February 28th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-02-27, Newps wrote:

Dylan Smith wrote:

A 450nm trip (let's ignore time to climb)

Then the S35 gets 175 kts.

Ours got 165 ktas, but on the other hand I was probably flying it at 65%
power for longer legs and less fuel burn (it's been 5 years since I flew
it so my numbers might not be exact).

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old February 28th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-02-27, kontiki wrote:
After the novelty wears off, long trips suck in a slow airplane.

The novelty never wore off for me. I flew a Cessna 140 coast to coast
(in the United States). It took me two months and 100 flight hours, but
I'd have never missed it for the world (and I'd have never done that
particular trip in anything faster, either!)

Old February 28th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-02-27, kontiki wrote:
After the novelty wears off, long trips suck in a slow airplane.

The novelty never wore off for me. I flew a Cessna 140 coast to coast
(in the United States). It took me two months and 100 flight hours, but
I'd have never missed it for the world (and I'd have never done that
particular trip in anything faster, either!)

Weren't on a schedule, were ya? :~)

Old February 28th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug wrote:

In the Rocky Mountains, if there is IMC, there is almost always ice.
Also, the MEA's are frequently in the oxygen required levels. It really
isn't IFR territory for GA aircraft. Stay VFR is the rule here. The Fed
Ex Caravan crashed due to ice on approach into Steamboat, and he was
turbine and de-iced.

Based on my understanding, a Caravan icing accident is not a fair
demonstration of your point. There have been a relative high number of
Caravan accidents due to ice over the last ten or so years, including two
on the same night within minutes of each other out of Plattsburgh, NY,
which has an elevation of somewhere around 300 feet MSL.

Isn't the FAA taking a very close look at the Caravan's known ice
certification these days?

--
Peter
Old March 15th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

you paid 88k for a 6 seat bonanza? A36 ?
must be a very old one.
you still cannot compare an old airplane with a newer one.

Newps wrote:

Jeff wrote:
comparing a bonanza and an arrow is not even close.

No it's not. The initial purchase price will be very similar. I paid
$88K for my Bo last August. What's the typical Turbo Arrow going for?

A arrow is only 200 HP to begin with, plus your bonanza will use allot more fuel, the
insurance will be higher and the plane is more expensive to buy.

I will burn 14 gph to go 175 kts. To get your 150 kts I am closer to 10
gph. Insurance more than anything will vary with pilot qualifications.
Assuming similar pilots the insurance tab will be very close if not
more for the Arrow because you have a turbo.

that being said, for a 200 HP plane, it performs much better then other 200 HP
planes, it does have to be flown with kid gloves, you can't just get in and not pay
attention to your power setting or your temps. the turbo arrow is a plane you have to
fly correctly, unlike allot of other planes.

Having owned three planes now I would much rather have one where I have
no worries about power settings and burning up cylinders if I'm not careful.

Old March 15th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I flew my arrow from vegas to louisville ky, took about 9-10 hours and 2
fuel stops
in a car it would have taken 3 days to do the trip. I had a blast, I think
I prefer flying over the midwest and southern states then the desert SW.
lots more to see there then here.

Old March 20th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

After the novelty wears off, long trips suck in a slow airplane.
I flew my arrow from vegas to louisville ky, took about 9-10 hours and 2
fuel stops
in a car it would have taken 3 days to do the trip. I had a blast, I think

I love flying long x-country in GA planes. We've criss-crossed the country
in a 150 hp Warrior (not real fun in high density altitudes), our 235 hp
Pathfinder, and -- just last week -- in the right seat of a 500 hp Aztec
(250 hp x 2 engines).

None of these planes is particularly fast, but they're still light years
ahead of driving -- and the sights we've seen! It's a wondrous -- albeit
unreliable -- way to travel, and we simply love the feeling of being 1000
miles from home at a small GA airport. Flying commercial just plain sucks.

I prefer flying over the midwest and southern states then the desert SW.
lots more to see there then here.

The Midwest is beautiful, but I find flying over mountain and canyon country
to be fantastic. Stark, and kinda scary -- but gorgeous and alluring.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA