Rico audio variometer

Old March 11th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rico audio variometer

With my new glider, I got a box of extra equipment. Included was a
never-used Rico audio vario, still in the box, but without
documentation. It checks out good. But does anyone have any info on
these varios?

Specifically:

What size capacity bottle should be used with this?

What are the functions of the large and small dials? Trim?

What is the performance of this Rico? My glider has a nice Scheumann CVA averaging mechanical vario, but no audio. Is the Rico worth installing?

Old March 11th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

On Mar 10, 5:05�pm, wrote:
With my new glider, I got a box of extra equipment. Included was a
never-used Rico audio vario, still in the box, but without
documentation. It checks out good. But does anyone have any info on
these varios?

Specifically:

What size capacity bottle should be used with this?
What are the functions of the large and small dials? Trim?
What is the performance of this Rico? My glider has a nice Scheumann CVA averaging mechanical vario, but no audio. Is the Rico worth installing?- Hide quoted text -

Old March 11th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

On Mar 10, 5:05�pm, wrote:
With my new glider, I got a box of extra equipment. Included was a
never-used Rico audio vario, still in the box, but without
documentation. It checks out good. But does anyone have any info on
these varios?

Specifically:

What size capacity bottle should be used with this?
What are the functions of the large and small dials? Trim?
What is the performance of this Rico? My glider has a nice Scheumann CVA averaging mechanical vario, but no audio. Is the Rico worth installing?- Hide quoted text -

These Vario's were manufactued by Pete Newgard in the late 70's and
early 80's. I have a Vario in the box but couldn't find the
instructions with it. I also have the seperate audio unit still in
the box in case I wanted to connect it up with my Sage CVA someday. I
never got around to it but if you give me a few days, I could dig it
out and the instructions may still be in that box. Last I heard Pete
was living in Washinton state and I'm sure he would have all of the
answers for you.

Barry
Old March 11th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 00:05 11 March 2009, wrote:
With my new glider, I got a box of extra equipment. Included was a

never-used Rico audio vario, still in the box, but without
documentation. It checks out good. But does anyone have any info on these
varios?

Specifically:

What size capacity bottle should be used with this?

What are the functions of the large and small dials? Trim?

What is the performance of this Rico? My glider has a nice Scheumann

CVAaveraging mechanical vario, but no audio. Is the Rico worth
installing?

From the brochure I have, you just put it in line between your TE probe
and your mechanical variometer. You could put it between the bottle and
the vario, as it is just a flow through device. Must be gain adjusted for
about the standard pint.

The two concentric knobs are for setting the on points for the up and down
tones. If you want no down town, crank the larger knob to the
counterclockwise stop. I would set the up tone so it is just quiet when
you are sitting on the ground. An occasional chirp is OK.

As for the response, that is D screw (I think) in between the deadband and
volume knobs. According to the brochure, it is adjustable from .75 seconds
to 3 seconds response rate. I would set it for as fast as it will respond.
Counterclockwise speeds it up.

Very well worth installing. I love the tone for up and prefer to not have
a down tone. But the RICO down tone is not bad. Install it and enjoy! If
you don't like it, let me know, as I might have a use for it in one of our
club ships!

Steve Leonard
Another source of info on old equipment
Old March 11th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 10, 8:05*pm, wrote:
With my new glider, I got a box of extra equipment. Included was a
never-used Rico audio vario, still in the box, but without
documentation. It checks out good. But does anyone have any info on
these varios?

Specifically:

What size capacity bottle should be used with this?
What are the functions of the large and small dials? Trim?
What is the performance of this Rico? My glider has a nice Scheumann CVA averaging mechanical vario, but no audio. Is the Rico worth installing?

Use it, you'll like it while it works. If it's like every other piece
of Rico gear I've had my hands on (N 6 in this case, mix of club and
privately owned equipment), it won't be working for more than two
seasons (the point of which is to say "don't cut up a perfectly nice
panel to install this").

-T8
Old March 11th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

I have some older brochures and some data for them here if you give me a
call...
The RICO (Redwood Instrument Co.) were built by Peter Newgard many years
ago...they were good variometers at the time and Peter did a nice job of
support for a good number of years well after they were no longer being
produced or sold new....but alas, many of the parts were no longer available
so there were few repairs that could still be made...
these were typically models VA (variometer only), VAS included speed-to-fly
functions and last versions included an averager, and VACS, same as VAS but
with Electronic TE which even Peter agreed didn't work as well as the VAS
with TE probe input.
The capacities were for each model were different very small (made from
short lengths of 1" I.D. PVC pipe, the typical VA used one bottle and VAS
and VACS used two different size bottles.
The audio was unique " Geiger counter" ticking sounds.....some liked the
sound, some hated it...
the tube connections are all very unusual 1/8" pipe fittings so connection
to normal glider tubes usually needs some extra connections to be secure or
they will leak.
anyway...I don't have data on line but will fax old copies if you call
tim

Old March 11th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

T8, it must be operator error.
I know 3 different gliders with perfectly good, aged Rico's installed and
still working fine after 10 seasons.
BT

Old March 12th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 11, 7:36*pm, "BT" wrote:
T8, it must be operator error.
I know 3 different gliders with perfectly good, aged Rico's installed and
still working fine after 10 seasons.
BT

You have better luck than logic or manners.

Btw, top posting leads to poor readability.

-T8
Old March 12th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote in message

Use it, you'll like it while it works. *If it's like every other piece
of Rico gear I've had my hands on (N 6 in this case, mix of club and
privately owned equipment), it won't be working for more than two
seasons (the point of which is to say "don't cut up a perfectly nice
panel to install this").

-T8

"It must be [...]"?

You have better luck than logic, it seems to me.

Btw, top posting makes for poor readability.

-T8
Old March 12th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

I had one and used it for several years till I took it apart (still
have it) It has very nice audio. Mine at least is has dual function.
It uses TE compensation by attaching to pitot tube. You would need to
disable this connection if you use TE probe (preferable mode). Each
Rico Vario came with its own (small) bottle and another (half the
volume) for TE compensation. I do not think connecting it in-line with
mechanical vario and large bottle would work very well.

My only issue with the vario was that it would freeze up in high
altitude wave flight. There is just not enough power delivered to the
thermistors to keep them within measurement range at very cold
ambients. Other than that I think you'll love it.

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki