Scenes From The Factory Floor 14 - Saturn V 01.jpg (1/1)

Old January 27th 15, 01:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

Default Scenes From The Factory Floor 14 - Saturn V 01.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturn V 01.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	73015
Old January 30th 15, 07:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
PVK[_3_]

Bearing in mind what was riding on those things, both literally and
figuratively, the quality control and scrutiny must have been laborious.
It's not as if they could take them for a test flight and correct any
bugs afterwards.

Thanks for the pics, Mitch

Regards
Paul
Cambridge U.K.
Old January 30th 15, 11:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

PVK wrote in
:

Bearing in mind what was riding on those things, both literally and
figuratively, the quality control and scrutiny must have been laborious.
It's not as if they could take them for a test flight and correct any
bugs afterwards.

Thanks for the pics, Mitch

Regards
Paul
Cambridge U.K.

Considering the disasterous first US
attempts at putting a satellite in orbit
the later launch vehicles (Redstone, Atlas,
Saturn and now Delta) have worked amazingly
well.

Old January 30th 15, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

Bearing in mind what was riding on those things, both literally and
figuratively, the quality control and scrutiny must have been laborious.
It's not as if they could take them for a test flight and correct any
bugs afterwards.

Thanks for the pics, Mitch

Regards
Paul
Cambridge U.K.

Considering the disasterous first US
attempts at putting a satellite in orbit
the later launch vehicles (Redstone, Atlas,
Saturn and now Delta) have worked amazingly
well.

I remember the old joke concerning the Vanguard: they are going to rename
it "Civil Service" because they can't fire it, and they can't get it to
work.

--
Savageduck
Old January 31st 15, 03:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

Savageduck wrote in
.
com:

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

Bearing in mind what was riding on those things, both literally and
figuratively, the quality control and scrutiny must have been
laborious. It's not as if they could take them for a test flight and
correct any bugs afterwards.

Thanks for the pics, Mitch

Regards
Paul
Cambridge U.K.

Considering the disasterous first US
attempts at putting a satellite in orbit
the later launch vehicles (Redstone, Atlas,
Saturn and now Delta) have worked amazingly
well.

I remember the old joke concerning the Vanguard: they are going to
rename it "Civil Service" because they can't fire it, and they can't
get it to work.

As John Glenn said when he was asked his thoughts
awaiting blast off "I am sitting on top of millions
of dollars worth of hardware all built by the lowest
bidder".

Old January 31st 15, 09:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jess Lurkin[_9_]

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Savageduck wrote in
.
com:

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

[...]

*Not* Glenn...

I'm too lazy to research it at the moment - but t'was not Glenn.
Glenn was too much of a hairshirt to say that.
Old January 31st 15, 11:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

Jess Lurkin wrote in :

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Savageduck wrote in

ic. com:

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

[...]

Coulda been Shepard.

Old February 1st 15, 12:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jess Lurkin[_9_]

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Jess Lurkin wrote in :

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Savageduck wrote in

ic. com:

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

[...]

Ahhh, yes. My hero. NOT a "pilot" - an AVIATOR!
He's my hero for sticking with it so long - for the Moon!

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize
that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder
on a government contract." - Alan Shepard

Old February 1st 15, 01:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Laurie

On 31/01/15 9:21 PM, Jess Lurkin wrote:
I'm too lazy to research it at the moment - but t'was not Glenn.
Glenn was too much of a hairshirt to say that.

Allegedly Glenn said it in the press conference after the flight but
what he supposedly said was:
"People asked him [Alan Shepard] that [question] after the flight and
Shepard said: `I wasn’t scared, but I was up there looking around, and
suddenly I realized I was sitting on top of a rocket built by the lowest
bidder.’"

Unfortunately I cannot find an official transcript of the press
conference, only references to it.

Laurie

Old February 1st 15, 02:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

Jess Lurkin wrote in :

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Jess Lurkin wrote in news:majh1l313t5

@news4.newsguy.com:

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

Savageduck wrote in

ic. com:

Mitchell Holman wrote:
PVK wrote in
:

[...]

I met Shepard several times when came to our school
to pick up his kids. His twin daughters were in my class
at elementary school. As were several other children of
astronauts. NASA was still being built and they used our
school in SW Houston until schools closer to their work
could be built. Nice guy, always in a good mood.