A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pilatus B4 PC-11 wing repairs

Old January 5th 15, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Default Pilatus B4 PC-11 wing repairs

Anybody in North America got experience with repair of Pilatus B4 wings?

Thanks,

WB
Old January 5th 15, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 5, 2015 2:30:27 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:

Thanks,

WB

Try Robert Mudd. I know he once performed some repairs on a wing.

Mike
Old January 6th 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 5, 2015 4:41:59 PM UTC-6, Mike C wrote:

Thanks,

WB

Mike

Great idea! Thanks!
Old January 6th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:49:11 AM UTC-5, WB wrote:

Thanks,

WB

Mike

Great idea! Thanks!

I know our club has significant expertise in destroying them, if that helps.

Try George Taylor at Van Sant airport in Pennsylvania. At one point, the FBO there was an importer for Pilatus; there were at least a half-dozen on the field. Numbers that may work are either: 610-847-1119 or 610-847-8494.

Erik Mann (P3)

Old January 6th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:04:36 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:49:11 AM UTC-5, WB wrote:

Thanks,

WB

Mike

Great idea! Thanks!

Try George Taylor at Van Sant airport in Pennsylvania. At one point, the FBO there was an importer for Pilatus; there were at least a half-dozen on the field. Numbers that may work are either: 610-847-1119 or 610-847-8494.

Erik Mann (P3)

Sorry - I made that more cryptic than it needed to be. George is the mechanic at Van Sant. He's probably got more experience than anyone in the US doing inspections and also repairs on Pilati.
Old January 7th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Erik Mann (P3)

Sorry - I made that more cryptic than it needed to be. George is the mechanic at Van Sant. He's probably got more experience than anyone in the US doing inspections and also repairs on Pilati.

Thanks P3. I got a chuckle out of your first statement there. Not to laugh at your club's misfortune. It's more a nod at the gallows humor and a familiar sentiment. We live in constant fear of what is going to get busted next.. It's mostly small damage with us, but sometimes it seems to be a constant barrage of small damage.

I will forward George Taylor's info to my friend with the crippled B4.

All the best,

WB
Old January 7th 15, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

On 01/06/2015 10:05 PM, WB wrote:
We live in constant fear of what is going to get busted next.

I think this is may be an issue at most if not all clubs, I am always
amazed how carelessly some members treat equipment....

Luke
Old January 7th 15, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:05:41 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

Thanks P3. I got a chuckle out of your first statement there. Not to laugh at your club's misfortune. It's more a nod at the gallows humor and a familiar sentiment. We live in constant fear of what is going to get busted next. It's mostly small damage with us, but sometimes it seems to be a constant barrage of small damage.

I will forward George Taylor's info to my friend with the crippled B4.

All the best,

WB

Our poor Pilatus was knocked around a couple of times - nothing serious - until one day when she was being towed out to the launch line during a strong ridge day with a single wing walker. Suddenly the Pilatus was executing beautiful Immelman in at about 20 feet AGL. Unfortunately, the maneuver lacked the requisite 180 roll in the second half, and the aircraft ended up upside down with a busted wing and a broken "back".

P3
Old January 7th 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:20:56 AM UTC-5, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 01/06/2015 10:05 PM, WB wrote:
We live in constant fear of what is going to get busted next.

I think this is may be an issue at most if not all clubs, I am always
amazed how carelessly some members treat equipment....

Luke

We "retrain" some club members by having them work on the repairs along with the rest of us...... ;-)
Old January 7th 15, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie
external usenet poster

Erik,

I think you are conflating two incidents. I was "there" for both of them. No, I'm not a jinx. Back in those days I spent every day, all day, at the field, so whatever happened, I was there.

The first incident: NW ridge was predicted, but the wind was calm. I was helping the Pilatus pilot to bring the glider from one end of the field to the other. We untied the glider, and I had just connected a rope to the bumper of my car, and he connected it to the CG hook on the glider. Well, the predicted NW wind came all at once...a strong gust...the glider lifted off....held at the CG hook by the rope and the car, it did a sort of mini winch launch...

It got maybe 10' high and then settled back down on its wing tip...fair amount of damage, but repaired.

Second incident...Well I wasn't right there...but close.

I was the first tow of the day. Again predicted to be a ridge day, but fairly calm winds so far. The Pilatus was second on the grid for take off. After I towed to the ridge, a few minutes later, I called the tow pilot on the radio...a pilot-rep for those on the ground, to tell him the ridge was working and the thermals were strong.

The tow pilot's response to my radio call was kind of odd. He said something like," Errr, ahhhh, errrr, hey I'll get back to you!"

I thought, "OK whatever"

What I didn't know at the time was that the tow pilot was on final approach, and watched the (unattended) Pilatus rise off the ground and do a 1/2 flip, right in front of him!....The tow pilot didn't want to ruin my fun for the day, so he didn't say what happened, and I didn't find out until I landed some hours later...Glider was a "total"...

That incident resulted in a new club rule, that all gliders must either be tied to the ground, or have the spoilers held open while being moved on the ground.

We also installed a bunch of nose tie down ropes along the grid area.

Funny thing about that Pilatus...On aero tow, during ground roll and take off, you HAD to hold full forward stick....if you didn't hold it to the stop, the glider would take off and continue to climb, and then full forward stick would be useless...it would just keep climbing....You had to hold the stick forward, and do the ground roll in a nose down attitude...and it took off in that nose down attitude too....I guess the wings are rigged with a high angle?

Other wise really nice glider.

Cookie

Our poor Pilatus was knocked around a couple of times - nothing serious - until one day when she was being towed out to the launch line during a strong ridge day with a single wing walker. Suddenly the Pilatus was executing beautiful Immelman in at about 20 feet AGL. Unfortunately, the maneuver lacked the requisite 180 roll in the second half, and the aircraft ended up upside down with a busted wing and a broken "back".

P3