A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2015 Aviation Summer Camp?

Old January 8th 15, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default 2015 Aviation Summer Camp?

A member of our soaring club (Soaring Club of Houston) asked the question below. Her son William is a 9th grader and soloed at our club in 2014. Very sharp and motivated kid. Appreciate any leads or suggestions, recognizing that this is slightly off-topic as it's not limited to soaring.
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

"Can anyone recommend an aviation summer camp (does not have to be in Texas) or summer experience for William? There are so many out there, but many are very basic. He's learned so much with SCOH and so much on his own that I don't want him to be bored. He has such a strong interest in aviation, especially helicopters, that I'm hoping to find something to further educate and motivate him. Any thoughts/ideas would be awesome!"
Old January 8th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

A couple of years ago one of our tow pilots hosted his nephew for the
summer to work as a line boy at Moriarty. He arrived an overweight,
clumsy kid with no direction and left trim, motivated, and, iirc, a
licensed glider pilot. Maybe something like that would be of interest.
If so, contact Rick at Sundance Aviation: http://www.soarsundance.com/

On 1/7/2015 4:51 PM, V1 wrote:
A member of our soaring club (Soaring Club of Houston) asked the question below. Her son William is a 9th grader and soloed at our club in 2014. Very sharp and motivated kid. Appreciate any leads or suggestions, recognizing that this is slightly off-topic as it's not limited to soaring.
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

"Can anyone recommend an aviation summer camp (does not have to be in Texas) or summer experience for William? There are so many out there, but many are very basic. He's learned so much with SCOH and so much on his own that I don't want him to be bored. He has such a strong interest in aviation, especially helicopters, that I'm hoping to find something to further educate and motivate him. Any thoughts/ideas would be awesome!"

--
Dan Marotta

Old January 8th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
discus277
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:51:10 PM UTC-5, V1 wrote:
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

Caesar Creek Soaring Club in Waynesville, Ohio has been doing a Youth Soaring Camp lasting about 5 or 6 days usually about 2nd week in July for many years...Usually about 20 kids camp there for a week. It gets rave reviews from parents and Kids alike....

Contact info on this web page

http://soar-ccsc.com/?page_id=1509
Old January 8th 15, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:51:10 PM UTC-8, V1 wrote:
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

If he's interested in the design and construction of gliders, he could come out for a summer Akaflieg at our shop.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951
Old January 8th 15, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
discus277
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:51:10 PM UTC-5, V1 wrote:
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

Let me add.....here is an excellent 6 minute video of the Caesar Creek Youth Camp....really done well

http://vimeo.com/105810456
Old January 8th 15, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

Wow! what a fantastic video. I need to show that to anyone interested in soaring.
Old January 9th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow
external usenet poster

SoaringXCellence wrote:
Wow! what a fantastic video. I need to show that to anyone interested in soaring.

The real question is now that nephi is full is there another adult summer
camp I could go to???

Pete
Old January 9th 15, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The Moriarty OLC camp which will be held June 1 to 15. The flying in this part of New Mexico is at least as good as Nephi and the facilities are a whole lot better. There are five (count them, as in 5) powerful towplanes based at Moriarty, each of them well able to launch in comfort any fully-ballasted glider. No creeping over the fences with sphincter fully gripped! Real, long, paved crosswind runway.
On-line registration is now open on the SSA.org website. Organization set to help pilots of all abilities, from badges to records.

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 4:51:10 PM UTC-7, V1 wrote:
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

Old January 9th 15, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

....and no crazy Utah liquor laws - a brewpub almost within walking distance!

Mike

Old January 9th 15, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 4:51:10 PM UTC-7, V1 wrote:
- Frank, SCOH (V1)

I believe William is 15. IMVHO, he should be working toward his check ride.. Furthermore, he should apply for a Bultman Youth Flight Scholarship if money is an issue Should he fly for his FAI Silver Badge or a Kolstad Century Award, he could apply for a Kolstad College Scholarship. He has several years of elibility. How could he be bored if properly mentored into the sport? I hope SCOH will get behind him and other youth. If William isn't interested, you have seven other youth members that maybe need some mentoring also. Actually 8 youth seems a bit low for a soaring organization with over 150 members. Have any of those that haven't soloed tried for a Cadet Youth Flight Scholarship? Psst, those other chapters eavesdropping, are you looking out for your youth? Really? WRT William, helicopters have too many moving parts anyway and are way out of reach for his age. A drone and a GoPro will have to do for now, I think. One of my best pals spent a few years flying rescue and recovery UH-1N Hueys at Vandyland in the USAF. I went on a training sortie with his crew many years ago. I thought the 2000ft spiral dive (reversing direction) was pretty cool. Most of the others didn't like riding in the side door position though as I got the jump seat.

Seriously, we have scholarships for your soaring youth. It's appalling how few applicants we entertain.

Frank Whiteley