Orienting the Approach.

Old May 31st 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default Orienting the Approach.

On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W
Old June 1st 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 31, 5:09*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

* Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

Wooops, maybe the handoff something got jagged up on where you were in
relation to the airport.

No question about it, I would have gotten a clarification from ATC
before initiating the approach as I can't imagine they wanting you to
cross mid field for 17L

On your last question, you are only cleared for 17L so it's not a
matter of which runway.
Old June 1st 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

On May 31, 5:09*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

* Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

Sounds like you'd turn left onto the downwind, turn right base and fly
past 17R to turn final and land on 17L.
Old June 1st 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

brian whatcott wrote:
On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

I think my response would be along the lines of "WTF do you want me to do?",
although phrased a bit more gentle.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 1st 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article , betwys1
@sbcglobal.net says...

On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

Perhaps it's a left-hand circuit (std) and they want you to join
downwind, right-hand. That's what it sounds like to me.

--
Duncan.
Old June 1st 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On May 31, 10:58*pm, Dave Doe wrote:
In article , betwys1
@sbcglobal.net says...

On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

* Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

Perhaps it's a left-hand circuit (std) and they want you to join
downwind, right-hand. *That's what it sounds like to me.

--
Duncan.

The rote reply would be to fly an upwind on 17L, cross wind across the
thresholds of 35R and if the runways are far enough apart 35L, then
fly the downwind as cleared. I'd be asking tower a LOT of questions
though. The approach might make sense if 17R-35L was closed: right
hand traffic would keep airplanes over the airport instead of whatever
might be to the west of 17L-35R

Eyeballs outside the cockpit for sure!
Old June 1st 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Dave Doe wrote:
/snip/
On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

&&&
Sounds like you'd turn left onto the downwind, turn right base and fly
past 17R to turn final and land on 17L.

Sounds good to me.

Well, that's what I did, and there was no problem.
In fact the FAA recommended join is 45 degrees to the downwind leg, so a
left turn onto downwind was no issue.
Flying a right pattern across a parallel runway would only happen when
both runways are not in use, obviously.

Regards

Brian W
p.s. As people remark to me all the time: there are only old pilots
left, any more. GenAv is suffering from an emigration of flight schools
to Brazil (!!) would you believe!