A Random Comment

Old May 24th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

Default A Random Comment

On May 24, 8:44*am, "birdog" wrote:

There's a difference between simulate and stimulate: I choose M20J
over MSFS for stimulation of the aviation variety.

Liked your post.

I'm installing IP Trainer to practice approaches. Does anybody have
any experience with it?

Old May 25th 10, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On May 23, 5:45*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
(It never helped our cause, while I
was a kid, that what few plastic model planes my brothers and I did get
and build that they'd eventually find a lit cherry bomb in or attached to
them as their last rites.)

When I was a kid there was a paved RC plane facility
near my house and people came from miles around. All
summer long we'd hear the buzzing of those little motors.
Some of my 12 yr. old friends took to shooting B-B guns
at them from afar. Finally my friend Mike crawled out into
the tall grass and laid in wait for the perfect shot with his
new pellet gun.

He shot one down, grabbed it and ran like hell. Funny thing,
Mike turned out to be an overachiever. Guess we saw that
coming. I still remember that red balsa wood plane.

---
Mark
Old May 25th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Stutzman[_3_]

Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

I'm installing IP Trainer to practice approaches. Does anybody have
any experience with it?

Yup. Bought it and OnTop while I was doing my instrument training. OnTop
was bad, but IP Trainer was worse.

The thing is set up with a series of 'lessons' and you had to complete
one before you could move on to the next. I find flight simulators
twitchy compared to real planes and I reached a point where I found
IP Trainer impossible to work with. I think it was when the lesson
was to do with timed turns and you had to roll out on the desired
course within a few degrees. The hysteresis inherent in consumer grade
computer flight controls just made it impossible.

That was a few years ago, so it might have changed, but I wouldn't bet
on it.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 25th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"birdog" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"birdog" wrote:

-----------------much snipped---------------

Did I say the whole group? Did I say all?

You wrote "I think they all wanted to be pilots," and while the context
is arguably ambiguous about who you meant to include in the "all" group,
it looked to me like you were dismissive of all.

But then I read your other post (which I didn't see till after I'd sent
mine) that indicated you had considerable respect for the skills needed
for their hobby.

Why are you being defensive?

I want to make sure no one disrepects me should I someday decide to wear
a kilt while flying an RC model of a DC-3 with Scottish Airline markings.
;-)

However, I only ever tried - and failed - to fly an RC model airplane
once about 40 years ago. I'm lucky to get an HO scale model train around
a closed track without derailing it. (It never helped our cause, while I
was a kid, that what few plastic model planes my brothers and I did get
and build that they'd eventually find a lit cherry bomb in or attached to
them as their last rites.)

I just thought your post, had it appeared in an RC group, was uncannily
like the kind of post that, ahem, "endeared" Mxsmanic to so many people
on this group. Well, it does require the right kind of personality types
on both sides for an unending ping-pong "discussion."

While I may be an obnoxious *******,

You have many peers in this newsgroup! :-) Still, no properly obnoxious
******* admits to being one, so if you aren't careful you'll be forced to
hand in your OB card. You're clearly a nice guy, but I'm willing to swear
on your behalf, should the case come up, that you were and are an OB.

I did make a few friends at the time, some with whom I still
communicate.

I'll pretend you never wrote that, considering your OB credentials are at
stake. :-)

Thank you for your endorcement my OB status. Everyone needs all the
support they can get.

Jim - when I first came on this NG not long ago, there seemed to be very
little on here pertaining to pilotage, etc. A couple of posts I put on
here generated comments, although the last one degenerated into a spitting
contest with MX - i.e. right back to my (personal) objection to start
with. My original post on this thread was intended as a feeble attempt to
maybe generate a discussion. It was in no way intended to denigrate anyone
or their hobby.

When I said that everyone in the RC club probably had a yen to fly the
real thing, those folks obviously have an intense interest in aviation -
which was the reason I got involved in the first place. I guess my point
was that there is no acceptable - for me at least - substitute for the
real thing.

Amazingly, when I look back on years of flying, there really isn't many
incidents in my personal experience
that would be of interest to other pilots. Sure, I had a lot of
white-knuckle experiences, as any pilot has. I can't recall any instance
where I felt that I was in mortal danger.

Can I get some help here? Let's talk PILOTAGE!

Not to pick excessively, but just enough to maintain my own OB status:
PILOTAGE normally refers to a method of visual navigation by means of
landmarks--frequently with additional reference to maps or charts and a
compass.

You might possibly have meant PILOTING.

Peter ;-)

Old May 25th 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

"birdog" wrote:

[...]

I stand corrected. However, I don't think anyone misunderstood what I was
getting at.

Old May 25th 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

birdog writes:

I stand corrected. However, I don't think anyone misunderstood what I was
getting at.

Maybe someone should now spend the next 200 posts telling you how wrong and
unqualified you are.
Old May 25th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Frank Stutzman writes:

The hysteresis inherent in consumer grade
computer flight controls just made it impossible.

There isn't any hysteresis in PC flight controls, although simulation software
can certainly simulate this.
Old May 25th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Frank Stutzman writes:

The hysteresis inherent in consumer grade
computer flight controls just made it impossible.

There isn't any hysteresis in PC flight controls, although simulation software
can certainly simulate this.

Delusional nonsense.

All but the very top of the line, and really expensive, PC flight controls
have hysteresis.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 25th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:45:41 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

"birdog" wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"birdog" wrote:
As I mentioned before, after I lost my medical, I tried to stay
close to aviation (to no avail) by trying radio control and
simulation. During my brief sojurn in radio control, I joined a
"flying" club that was quite active. But more than a few
radiologists, when they found out that I was a licensed pilot, kinda
sulled up - not actually defensive - just avoided me as much as
possible. I think they all wanted to be pilots, but for some reason
- finances (althought some of those models were more expensive than
some of our early planes), the wife, inertia, etc. I think the final
straw for me when I saw a picture in one of their magazines showing
a modeler with helmet, goggles and scarf, landing a model biplane.

Interesting - I'd be curious to know what you think would transpire
if you tried posting the above paragraph to rec.models.rc.air.

It appears you formed a sweeping generalization of a whole class of
people based on a few subjective conclusions on your part. Any reason
why you ruled out the possibility that they avoided you was because
you might have been exhibiting a haughty or condescending attitude?
In other words, if one
person avoids you, lacking anything other than speculation, it is
equal probability the fault lies with them or you. But when a whole
group of people avoids you, what do you think the probability is that
a group having
only one thing in common would all be at fault for that behavior, but
not you?

[...]

and people came from yards around. All summer long we'd hear the
buzzing of those little motors. One of my 12 yr. old friends, I only
had one for about fifteen minutes, took to shooting B-B guns at them
from afar.

Finally my friend Mike crawled out into the tall grass and
laid in wait for the perfect shot with his new pellet gun. I was
thrilled! Mike likes me!! He really does!!!!

He shot one down, grabbed it and ran like hell. Funny thing, Mike
turned out to be an pedophile. Guess we saw that coming. I still
remember that red balsa wood plane. And sniffing the glue.
---
Mark

random-8.jpg Troy[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 29th 09 03:01 PM
Random Pic...B-47 Dr.Smith Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 09 02:59 AM
Random Pic....B-52D Dr.Smith Aviation Photos 5 June 10th 09 02:09 PM
jouer gratuit , comment devenir follement riche , jouer au monopolygratuitement en ligne , comment gagner l argent internet , jeux en lignegratuits , jeux gratuits , jouer gratuitement sims , comment devenir riche a, jouer gratuitement , gagner [email protected] Piloting 0 May 12th 09 11:37 AM
Random thoughts 2 Bill Daniels Soaring 6 September 1st 06 05:37 AM