Soaring Contest and Coronavirus

Old May 7th 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Soaring Contest and Coronavirus

Agreed as well. With a further add on point.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I am not part of the hive mind! I.e. the Borg hive mind of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, BBC, etc... and yes Fox news.

The reason free speech portion of the 1st amendment was put in place was to allow for dissenting opion.

That right has in a practical practice been eliminated.

I will not get much further into this except to mention that I find it alarming that YouTube has deleted several videos regarding the handling on this pandemic that questioned the practices of social distancing and other overreaching actions taken by both federal and state governments.

Certainly they have e the right to do so as they are not actually a public entity. However it is still alarming to me. When we are afraid to debate or discuss dissenting opinions regardless of the situation we are lesser because of that fear.
I will try to make good common sense decisions to minimize the spread of a pandemic. At the same time I will not live in the fear propagated by the hive "chicken little, the sky is falling" mentality.
Old May 7th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Freedom of speech does not require freedom to be heard. Shout all you want but if others shout louder ... too bad.
Old May 7th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 9:02:02 AM UTC-7, Stephen Szikora wrote:
Freedom of speech does not require freedom to be heard. Shout all you want but if others shout louder ... too bad.

Don't forget there are limits on freedom of speech, for public safety.
Old May 7th 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 3:00:46 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 9:02:02 AM UTC-7, Stephen Szikora wrote:
Freedom of speech does not require freedom to be heard. Shout all you want but if others shout louder ... too bad.

Don't forget there are limits on freedom of speech, for public safety.

And those same limits should be applied to the Press just as they are applied to the individual. But the moment anyone starts talking about ANY limitations on the Press, people throw up their arms in horror.

If the Press create unnecessary fear and panic, they should be held to the same standard as someone who yells "Fire" in a crowded movie theater.
Old May 8th 20, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 07 May 2020 15:31:05 -0700, John Foster wrote:

If the Press create unnecessary fear and panic, they should be held to
the same standard as someone who yells "Fire" in a crowded movie
theater.

If, as I hear, companies are regarded by US law as 'people', then surely
those same laws already apply to Press, TeleVision the likes of FarceBook.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 8th 20, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:13:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 3:03:51 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Yes. But with freedom to choose, the responsibility to choose wisely is inherent. I resent having my freedom and the associated responsibility dictated by others.

Freedom of choice and a population based epidemiological response to a pandemic are, unfortunately, and temporarily, mutually exclusive.

no
Old May 8th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

There is nothing in our constitution I am aware of, that states our 1st ammendment rights can be "temporarily" suspended. For good reason.

The protests against overreaching mandates in certain states, and the arrest or intimidation of church goers in certain states or cities being two good examples.

The point is, it doesn't matter if you personally disagree with the actions taken. The whole point of the ammendment is to allow for a variety of opinions to be heard.

I am not of the hive...
Old May 10th 20, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm glad to be away from urban life and 6 million of my closest strangers.

Can't think of any time other than tornados and earthquakes that require civilian field hospitals. The more common flu strains don't overwhelm the health care system...oh, except that new one 100 years ago:

Old May 11th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This talks about viral loads to get sick and how different situations affect.

Outdoor stuff seems much safer than long term indoor.
Maybe hope for contests with the right precautions.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them
Old May 11th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yep....tried to stay away......depends on where you are.....
Me...sorta "ground zero" in NY metro area...

Sucks.

"East bum fork" other US/world...different animal.....

I have family and friends "exposed", thus, I do my bit.
I 'm "jonesing" on not flying.
I have buried a few from the current virus...

Maybe some on multiple threads on RAS will change thoughts when they lose family or friends.
Yes....lockdown kills economy.....
Groups can kill peeps..

I do what I want, you do what you want....sorry if your choice may kill someone you want based on your decision.....hopefully your family, not someone else's family.....

Nuff said.....

Coronavirus impacting activities? [email protected] Soaring 110 March 24th 20 03:31 PM
Coronavirus ProfJ Soaring 26 March 9th 20 09:23 PM
Region 3 Soaring Contest at Harris Hill Soaring 2019 Joan Taylor Soaring 0 May 29th 19 04:40 PM
Are OLC and Contest Soaring really that different? Sean Fidler Soaring 28 March 3rd 12 12:08 AM
US Region 7 Soaring Contest Paul Remde Soaring 0 March 23rd 05 03:18 AM