Security at a class D tower

Old April 7th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Security at a class D tower

I toured the new state of the art tower at Addison airport last week and
was struck by all the security measures they employed.

The entire complex and parking lot was surrounded by a dense wrought iron
fence with a nasty "fish hook" shaped sharp pointed curve at the top. An
intercom opened the gate. The entrance to the tower was an interlock of
bulletproof glass doors that locked you in a holding area until someone
checked the video camera and buzzed you in.

I assume this is all a reaction to our new terrorist threat, but I haven't
been able to come up with any reason for all that security. Let's say
some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could do?

--
Dallas
Old April 7th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Presumably, they could clear multiple aircraft onto a runway at the same
time. Could be trouble *if* the pilots were inattentive.

KB

news

Old April 7th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dallas" wrote in message
news

I toured the new state of the art tower at Addison airport last week and
was struck by all the security measures they employed.

The entire complex and parking lot was surrounded by a dense wrought iron
fence with a nasty "fish hook" shaped sharp pointed curve at the top. An
intercom opened the gate. The entrance to the tower was an interlock of
bulletproof glass doors that locked you in a holding area until someone
checked the video camera and buzzed you in.

I assume this is all a reaction to our new terrorist threat, but I haven't
been able to come up with any reason for all that security. Let's say
some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could do?

Kill the occupants, destroy equipment. A target not worth the effort.

Old April 7th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Dallas wrote in newsd36qfdnvmu4
:

I assume this is all a reaction to our new terrorist threat, but I haven't
been able to come up with any reason for all that security. Let's say
some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could do?

For one thing, they could lock themselves and their hostages in that tower
forever and no one else would ever be able to get in!

The fair maiden they kidnap would have to let her hair out the window to be
saved.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel!"
Old April 7th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Dallas" wrote in message
news

I toured the new state of the art tower at Addison airport last week and
was struck by all the security measures they employed.

The entire complex and parking lot was surrounded by a dense wrought iron
fence with a nasty "fish hook" shaped sharp pointed curve at the top. An
intercom opened the gate. The entrance to the tower was an interlock of
bulletproof glass doors that locked you in a holding area until someone
checked the video camera and buzzed you in.

I assume this is all a reaction to our new terrorist threat, but I haven't
been able to come up with any reason for all that security. Let's say
some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could do?

They could take the tower, kill all the occupants, and carry out "simulated"
operations. OH...NO..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 7th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kyle Boatright writes:

Presumably, they could clear multiple aircraft onto a runway at the same
time. Could be trouble *if* the pilots were inattentive.

You don't have to be inside the tower for that. All you need is a radio.

Old April 7th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Kyle Boatright writes:

Presumably, they could clear multiple aircraft onto a runway at the same
time. Could be trouble *if* the pilots were inattentive.

You don't have to be inside the tower for that. All you need is a radio.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket,,,, or no, no, you could just simulate a
radio, yeah, that's the ticket.

Old April 7th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Dallas" wrote in message
news

I toured the new state of the art tower at Addison airport last week and
was struck by all the security measures they employed.

The entire complex and parking lot was surrounded by a dense wrought iron
fence with a nasty "fish hook" shaped sharp pointed curve at the top. An
intercom opened the gate. The entrance to the tower was an interlock of
bulletproof glass doors that locked you in a holding area until someone
checked the video camera and buzzed you in.

I assume this is all a reaction to our new terrorist threat, but I haven't
been able to come up with any reason for all that security. Let's say
some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could do?

Frankly it just sounds like a waste to me too. Kind of makes you wonder of
if some of the decision makes don't have relatives in security construction
services business, or someone had some unneeded budget money for security
improvements.

Old April 7th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Dallas" wrote:

Let's say some terrorists took the tower, what's the worst thing they could
do?

Make me wait for a 152 on a 10-mile final.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 7th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"Dallas" wrote in message
news

[...]

Like 98% of the Post 911 security enhancements, this is eyewash to make the
public believe the politicians are "doing something" to prevent future
terror events.

KB

SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Class E or Class G - another one of those that makes you go 'hmmmmm' JT Piloting 10 February 27th 06 07:41 PM
US Standard Class and World Class Nationals at Hobbs Ken Sorenson Soaring 7 July 16th 04 04:03 AM
Tower with only Class G Airspace Jeff Saylor Piloting 8 May 10th 04 09:53 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM