Quick Response Ambulance

Old June 13th 04, 03:57 PM
Ralph @ G-Squadron

Default Quick Response Ambulance

Anyone think the idea of using an autogyro as a quick-response ambulance
service is good? Wouldn't actually transport patients, but would act like
the quick response car or bike, delivering emergency help, and looking after
patients until land ambulance arrives.

I'm going to see how far I can take the scheme with ambulance services
across the UK...

I need your opinions, and suggestions for the best autogyro, gyrocopter or
gyroplane for the job.

- Ralph

Old June 14th 04, 02:24 AM

This might work for remote locations where good landing areas are
plentiful. Anywhere else, and you have to fight with the ground
traffic to land.

A helicopter is the only aircraft with the highest probablility of
being able to land. Gyro-anythings need a bit of a runway. Even
still, where I live, where there is emergency helicopter service, the
firemen/police have to get there first and block off a section of
roadway so that the helicopter can land. Not only that, but its
generally a fair distance from the actual scene. If you set down in a
field, you run the risk of some bull thinking your helicopter is
challenging him for all his cows. Also, here in the US there are
power lines everywhere.

It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but I think there are a lot
of problems to work out before it is feasible.

Dennis.

"Ralph @ G-Squadron" wrote:

Anyone think the idea of using an autogyro as a quick-response ambulance
service is good? Wouldn't actually transport patients, but would act like
the quick response car or bike, delivering emergency help, and looking after
patients until land ambulance arrives.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old June 14th 04, 07:22 AM
Dave S

Landing areas, scene AND LZ security, carrying adequate equipement and
getting that equipment to the patient are all concerns. In all
likelihood you wont be landing RIGHT next to the scene.. You will have
to carry your gear. ALL of it. To EVERY scene because you dont know what
you will need until you get there. Its not like you can step back to the
ambulance 30 feet away and get something else.

You would be limited to day, VFR. I would not want to attempt night
running landings into an unprepared and unlit LZ. It is a great concept
but the applicability is not there.

Dave

Old June 14th 04, 07:25 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

For those living in mild climate areas - I would think that a specially
equipped motorcylce with a little pull along cart full of life saving
necessetities might be practical in large urban areas were a regular
amulance might be delayed due to traffic.
Old June 14th 04, 07:40 AM
Ralph @ G-Squadron

"Dave S" wrote in message
link.net...
Landing areas, scene AND LZ security, carrying adequate equipement and
getting that equipment to the patient are all concerns. In all
likelihood you wont be landing RIGHT next to the scene.. You will have
to carry your gear. ALL of it. To EVERY scene because you dont know what
you will need until you get there. Its not like you can step back to the
ambulance 30 feet away and get something else.

You would be limited to day, VFR. I would not want to attempt night
running landings into an unprepared and unlit LZ. It is a great concept
but the applicability is not there.

Dave

This wouldn't be difficult - here in the UK, quick response crews go out on
bicycles with *everything* they need, and this doesn't amount to a lot of
weight or size.

- Ralph

Old June 15th 04, 02:21 AM
Micbloo

This wouldn't be difficult - here in the UK, quick response crews go out on
bicycles with *everything* they need, and this doesn't amount to a lot of
weight or size

They did that a few years ago out of a hospital in Queens (NY). Not sure if
the program is still running.
Old June 15th 04, 07:49 AM
Ralph @ G-Squadron

They did that a few years ago out of a hospital in Queens (NY). Not sure

if
the program is still running.

It's very effective - I've seen the scheme in action, and it has
dramatically evened survival rates.

- Ralph

Old June 15th 04, 01:41 PM
Dave S

One other thing to consider..

How many people is this thing supposed to carry? Are you going to have a
separate pilot and medic? or is the pilot supposed to be the medic too?
Obtaining and maintaining expert status on both might make for a rare
individual... I dont know of dozens of pilot/medics looking for new jobs..

Dave