Dittel FSG-50 Adjustable Squelch Modification

Old March 11th 04, 04:36 AM
Jim Vincent

Default Dittel FSG-50 Adjustable Squelch Modification

For those of you that want an adjustable squelch for your FSG-50 radio, you can
do it for about $12. It takes about two hours, but you must have some basic
soldering skills.

I find this is really valuable when far out on course and you need to contact
your home field, or when you're close to home and want to block out the chatter
from 100 miles away.

Basically, you remove the fixed potentiometer from the circuit board and
remotely mount an adjustable potentiometer to the front panel. There is room
on the front panel since the front panel board and face plate are the same as
for the 60M which has memory presets, and so you just mount the pot where the
preset switch would be on the 60M and drill out the hole on the face plate for
the pot shaft.

Remove the squelch pot R4078 to reveal three holes in an "L" configuration.
The holes at the end of the L go to the outer connectors on the pot. The hole
at the angle of the L goes to the middle connector. If you find that squelch
works in the wrong direction, just reverse the outer leads.

You'll have to fuss with the knob to get it to fit properly since the shaft
does not stick out far enough from the face plate to engage the allen screw.

If you need a diagram, just e-mail me and I'll send you a pdf of it.

The parts are available from Mouser Electronics at www.mouser.com

Part 594-249-1102
SQ POT 1K 1/8" SHAFT
Vishay/Spectrol Precision Potentiometers
$5.50

Part 450-0125
1/8" SHAFT KNOB BLK
Eagle Plastics Knobs
$0.92

shipping is $5.25

Here is the legal stuff: I am not responsible blah, blah, blah...

Have fun with the new gizmo!

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old March 11th 04, 05:43 AM
Jim Vincent

Go here for the pdf file:

http://www.mymedtrans.com/personal.htm

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 13th 11, 08:45 PM
condor clive condor clive is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vincent View Post
Go here for the pdf file:

http://www.mymedtrans.com/personal.htm

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Hi Jim, I am very interested in your adjustable squelch mod for the Dittel FSG 50, could you please send me the wiring diagram with the value of the potentiometer. I am having great trouble with the squelch breaking as soon as I take off, so I am thinking that if I could make the opening threshold of the squelch higher but still recieve ok this may be the answer to my probs !