A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

Old May 23rd 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vtcyclist
external usenet poster

Default LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

I have an S100. I want to calibrate it and have removed it from the glider.. We’ve put it in the calibration chamber, but are not having any luck getting it to record a flight without the gps recognizing movement. Ideas?

Second. I’ve updated firmware before without issues. This time, the file is on the MicroSD, inserted into the slot, the S100 recognizes the update file and asks for “Update?”. I select with lower knob, and press/click to update. The screen goes dark and then stays off. When I restart the instrument, it asks if I want to update. Ideas?

Thanks.
Old May 23rd 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 23 May 2019 13:59:43 UTC-6, vtcyclist wrote:
I have an S100. I want to calibrate it and have removed it from the glider. We’ve put it in the calibration chamber, but are not having any luck getting it to record a flight without the gps recognizing movement. Ideas?

Second. I’ve updated firmware before without issues. This time, the file is on the MicroSD, inserted into the slot, the S100 recognizes the update file and asks for “Update?”. I select with lower knob, and press/click to update. The screen goes dark and then stays off. When I restart the instrument, it asks if I want to update. Ideas?

Thanks.

Send to Richard at Craggy Aero http://craggyaero.com/

Old May 23rd 19, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vtcyclist
external usenet poster

Ron. Thanks for the suggestion. At the top of Craggy’s LXNAV page is the warning not to download LXNAV files with an Apple product. That solves the firmware problem.
Old May 23rd 19, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 1:15:26 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
Ron. Thanks for the suggestion. At the top of Craggy’s LXNAV page is the warning not to download LXNAV files with an Apple product. That solves the firmware problem.

Glad that worked for you. I've downloaded LXNAV files to my Apple MacBookPro many times and they always worked for me. Anyway, whatever works for you is what is important.
Old May 24th 19, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 2:55:12 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:

Glad that worked for you. I've downloaded LXNAV files to my Apple MacBookPro many times and they always worked for me. Anyway, whatever works for you is what is important.

Almost every time some one calls about a firmware problem with LXNAV & PowerFlarm it is because they tried to download with an Apple Computer or and Apple computer with a Windows emulator.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 24th 19, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Almost every time some one calls about a firmware problem with LXNAV & PowerFlarm it is because they tried to download with an Apple Computer or and Apple computer with a Windows emulator.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

And the new PowerFLARM 6.60 firmware fixes that mac compatibility issue, but the irony is folks are having trouble upgrading to that using a Mac :-)

For now with a Mac you can manually remove the unneeded hidden files that the Mac is putting on the USB stick, they are throwbacks to old Mac compatibility resource fork crap. Deleting the hidden files affects nothing, just makes the FLARM update work. Easiest way is to use the Terminal.app on the Mac to find and remove any ._filename.ext hidden files (e.g. ls ._* to see them). If needed find a kid who knows UNIX/linux to help you, take then for a glider ride in return.

Old May 24th 19, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:03:44 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

And the new PowerFLARM 6.60 firmware fixes that mac compatibility issue, but the irony is folks are having trouble upgrading to that using a Mac :-)

For now with a Mac you can manually remove the unneeded hidden files that the Mac is putting on the USB stick, they are throwbacks to old Mac compatibility resource fork crap. Deleting the hidden files affects nothing, just makes the FLARM update work. Easiest way is to use the Terminal.app on the Mac to find and remove any ._filename.ext hidden files (e.g. ls ._* to see them). If needed find a kid who knows UNIX/linux to help you, take then for a glider ride in return.

I am not as versed in electrons as most engineers on this site, so what I am saying is more visceral. I have been a Mac user since 1984, with just a few brief virus, trojan, and ransom filled forays into the PC world. When I got back into gliding after a 15 year hiatus, the instruments and software had developed to the Piont I now needed to access the data. Thought about using the Mac, but then for with little research I purchased a Levono 900 used for $400. Macs are expensive and I didn't want to expose it to the desires and diseases of the other side of the tracks
Old May 24th 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Is there an Apple/Mac simulator that runs on a PC?

On 5/24/2019 6:19 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I am not as versed in electrons as most engineers on this site, so what I am saying is more visceral. I have been a Mac user since 1984, with just a few brief virus, trojan, and ransom filled forays into the PC world. When I got back into gliding after a 15 year hiatus, the instruments and software had developed to the Piont I now needed to access the data. Thought about using the Mac, but then for with little research I purchased a Levono 900 used for $400. Macs are expensive and I didn't want to expose it to the desires and diseases of the other side of the tracks

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 24th 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Macs with Sierra or later insert usb stick, show in finder.

CMND + SHIFT + Period this will show the hidden files.

Delete as required.
Old May 24th 19, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

Put a Linux like Ubuntu on your PC. Fast, stable, secure, and free.

On 5/24/19 8:35 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is there an Apple/Mac simulator that runs on a PC?

On 5/24/2019 6:19 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Ron.* Thanks for the suggestion.* At the top of Craggy’s LXNAV
page is the warning not to download LXNAV files with an Apple
product.* That solves the firmware problem.
Glad that worked for you.* I've downloaded LXNAV files to my Apple
MacBookPro many times and they always worked for me.* Anyway,
whatever works for you is what is important.
Almost every time some one calls about a firmware problem with LXNAV
& PowerFlarm it is because they tried to download with an Apple
Computer or and Apple computer with a Windows emulator.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
And the new PowerFLARM 6.60 firmware fixes that mac compatibility
issue, but the irony is folks are having trouble upgrading to that
using a Mac :-)

For now with a Mac you can manually remove the unneeded hidden files
that the Mac is putting on the USB stick, they are throwbacks to old
Mac compatibility resource fork crap. Deleting the hidden files
affects nothing, just makes the FLARM update work. Easiest way is to
use the Terminal.app on the Mac to find and remove any ._filename.ext
hidden files (e.g. ls ._* to see them). If needed find a kid who
knows UNIX/linux to help you, take then for a glider ride in return.

I am not as versed in electrons as most engineers on this site, so
what I am saying is more visceral.* I have been a Mac user since 1984,
with just a few brief virus, trojan, and ransom filled forays into the
PC world.* When I got back into gliding after a 15 year hiatus, the
instruments and software had developed to the Piont I now needed to
access the data.* Thought about using the Mac, but then for with
little research I purchased a Levono 900 used for $400.* Macs are
expensive and I didn't want to expose it to the desires and diseases
of the other side of the tracks