Dittel radio servicing

Old February 28th 18, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Sherrill

Default Dittel radio servicing

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:59:16 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 2:01:40 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
2 choices
Anton Lang Flugfunk Services in Germany. He us the authorized service center for them and it will come back like new
Or, do it yourself. It is simple soldering. Remove the top part of the case and you have access to the battery. It is a 1/2aa 3,6v Lithium battery. Cut and bend the ends to suit and solder it in.

Good luck either way

Hi Ross,

could you please describe what that battery looks like? I opened up the both covers and there is nothing there I would readily identify as a battery. If I sent you a photo, could you point it out to me or could you send me a Digikey link that battery?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-TL5902-PBP

http://www.tadiranbat.com/

You want a 1/2 AA battery. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries last for decades in this application (extremely low power draw for memory backup).

I shopped at Digikey, but forgot that I ended up ordering from Mouser. They have several to choose from. I paid a couple bucks more for the higher temperature rating, just in case my soldering took longer than recommended.

...david
Old February 28th 18, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 11:21:13 PM UTC-5, David Sherrill wrote:
[...]

Thanks, David! After Ross' description, I found the battery and measured its voltage. It still reads 3.6V. The radio just arrived from Belgium, so it hasn't been in the glider, yet. If it doesn't hold the memory, I know what to do now. :-)
Uli
'AS'

Old February 28th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've also got a 71M but with a slightly different problem. The LCD display is getting bad. Readable but only just. Any suggestions on where to obtain the part or someone that can install new LCD. I've tried Peninsula Avionics and they were not able to help. I've also tried to contact flugfunk-lang.de and have had no response.

David Martin
BV
Old February 28th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Uli:
I am still using one with the original battery and a sticker on the side that says "replace battery in 2005". So, I would not worry too much about it.

David:
It might not be worth the cost & nuisance of the repair when you can buy these used so cheaply and just install a replacement. I just bought one for $280 USD (which included shipping) and there are several on www.segelflug.de at prices between 80 and 100 Euros. They can't be used in Europe anymore so there are many available.

ROY
Old February 28th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 71M that I have is one of the ones from Europe going surplus becuase of their changed regulations. I got it as a back up but would like to have it fully functional if needed.

David
BV
Old March 1st 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Old February 25th 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 6:30:42 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:15:32 AM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Uli:
I am still using one with the original battery and a sticker on the side that says "replace battery in 2005". So, I would not worry too much about it.

David:
It might not be worth the cost & nuisance of the repair when you can buy these used so cheaply and just install a replacement. I just bought one for $280 USD (which included shipping) and there are several on www.segelflug.de at prices between 80 and 100 Euros. They can't be used in Europe anymore so there are many available.

ROY

That's exactly how/why I got it. Mine came out of Belgium - paid 110Euros for it. :-)
The sticker says to change the battery in 2002 but it still seems to be ok.
Uli

Thought I'd check and see how changing the battery yourself worked out? I'm in the same situation with my FSG 71M, it won't retain any saved channels so I'm thinking the internal battery needs to be swapped out. It looks like some people swapped out themselves using this battery:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-TL5902-PBP
If I didn't do this myself it sounds like there's limited/costly options to have this done at a repair shop (radio is in the US) and it maybe easier/less expensive to get a used unit?
How difficult is it to swap out the old battery for a new one? Is the battery in this link still the correct one (that link is from last years post).
Thank you
RJ
Old February 26th 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

If you have held a soldering iron before then you are probably capable of changing it yourself
Remove the top casing
De solder the old battery
It probably has been glued(silicone) along the sides so you will need to cut that away
Bend the ends of the new battery to fit
Re solder the new one
Silicone as required

And yes, the battery in the link is correct
Old February 26th 19, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Great job guys....excellent team work.....I shall save this for my Dittel radio.

Dittel Fsg-5 radio [email protected] Soaring 0 July 21st 16 06:24 PM
Used Dittel radio Paul Natkiel Soaring 0 March 2nd 09 08:17 PM
Dittel Radio [email protected] Soaring 11 January 27th 09 10:09 PM
Dittel Radio Paul Soaring 0 January 10th 06 12:50 AM
Dittel radio Q ken ward Soaring 1 October 8th 03 07:23 AM