A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cup holder

Old October 19th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

Has anyone installer a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?
Old October 19th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 1:38:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone installer a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?

The luggage shelf on my glider holds a latte while prepping the glider on the ground. So does the rear of the trailer.

You really mean while flying? How much fun do you want other pilots to make of you?

What you should be looking at, assuming you want to fly cross country, is where to place Camelbak or similar hydration packs. How to route the drinking tubes, retain them so you don't sit on them, etc.
Old October 19th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

I have a camel back. What if I also want to have a thermos with some ice and pepsi to enjoy a sandwich? ...
Old October 19th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

This guy probably had a cup holder. https://youtu.be/V9pvG_ZSnCc

Old October 19th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

Get an insulated Camelbak, stuffed behind a seat out of the sun they hold ice for hours. Fill 3/4 full with ice cubes and then top with water or maybe a sports drink (if so wash out immediately after flight). Carry a lot of fluids, plan for worse case landout. Put extra water in your crew car or trailer.

Worry about what is important. If you are worrying about cup holders I am concerned what else might be going astray. Especially if you have little XC experience find a good local mentor who can help you set up your ship for XC.

Besides basic flyability of the glider the next thing to get set up properly is a perfectly working trailer and then a pee tube.

A thermos can smack you in the head in severe turbulence or roll around and potentially block the rudders. You just don’t have space for a cup holder.
Old October 20th 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

My sammich goes great with water.Â* In the summer my camel back is
refrigerated, sometimes iced.Â* In the winter, it's room temperature.

On 10/19/2017 3:23 PM, wrote:
I have a camel back. What if I also want to have a thermos with some ice and pepsi to enjoy a sandwich? ...

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 21st 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 2:36:53 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Get an insulated Camelbak, stuffed behind a seat out of the sun they hold ice for hours. Fill 3/4 full with ice cubes and then top with water or maybe a sports drink (if so wash out immediately after flight). Carry a lot of fluids, plan for worse case landout. Put extra water in your crew car or trailer.

Worry about what is important. If you are worrying about cup holders I am concerned what else might be going astray. Especially if you have little XC experience find a good local mentor who can help you set up your ship for XC.

Besides basic flyability of the glider the next thing to get set up properly is a perfectly working trailer and then a pee tube.

A thermos can smack you in the head in severe turbulence or roll around and potentially block the rudders. You just don’t have space for a cup holder.

If you are sensitive to taste, you may find water from a Camelback tastes like a chemical factory. There are many competitors using PE bags that don't have that taste. Platypus is one such.
Old October 22nd 17, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

1/3rd strength gatorade take care of the past and give you some electrolytes and some sugar that you need.

Kevin
Old October 22nd 17, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 2:23:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Here's a picture, works great.

http://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1sgi3KF...Holder-Hat.jpg
Old October 22nd 17, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Cup holder

I installed this cup holder a couple of decades ago.
May not work with your present system.
Jim

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/...p-Holder.shtml