MFI-9HB project plane

Old October 15th 08, 06:05 PM
Lin Light Lin Light is offline
Junior Member

Location: Holland, Michigan, USA
Default MFI-9HB project plane

I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

Lin
Old October 15th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Lin Light wrote:

I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started
sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely
pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a
kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on
the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

Lin

Well, it's not a lot of help, but this airplane has been used by several
air forces around the world.

The BO-208 is built in France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6lkow_Bo_208

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old October 15th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:34:42 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Lin Light wrote:

I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started
sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely
pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a
kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on
the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

Lin

Well, it's not a lot of help, but this airplane has been used by several
air forces around the world.

The BO-208 is built in France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6lkow_Bo_208

Lin

For possible info check:

EAA Hq (They might even put an article with picture in their
magazine????)
Kit Planes
FAA
EAA chapter(s) near where bird was being built

You might also post a current picture on Internet with question about
history of the model.

If u find history let us know.

Good Luck.

Big John
Old October 15th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Lin Light" wrote in message

I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started
sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely
pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a
kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on
the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about it except for the information I just Googled up.
Cute airplane, and it looks like plenty have been built all over the world, but
that front opening canopy gives me the shivers! Why do folks design accidents
into airplanes?

Vaughn

Old October 16th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

cavelamb himself schreef:

The BO-208 is built in France.

Not that it matters much, but your own source clearly states
quote
Bo 208 Junior - MFI-9 produced under licence by Bölkow in Germany. 200
built.
/unquote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6lkow_Bo_208

Old October 16th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_5_]

Google Bo 208 for lots of pictures.
Old October 16th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 15, 10:05*am, Lin Light
wrote:
I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane.

Dear Lin,

You are one lucky devil, in my opinion. The MFI-9HomeBuilt is an
outstanding airplane. During John's tenure at Convair he contributed
to Calvin Parker's original "Jeanie's Teenie," and the 'Whistler,'
Bert Sisler's VW-powered version of the MFI-9, which lead to the
'Cygnet,' plans for which are still available from (I think) Viking
Aircraft in Wisconsin. (The 'Cygnet' is a rag & tube design so it
probably will not provide any help with your all-metal version.)

Alas, I can't answer any of your questions but I encourage you to
complete the airplane. It has proven to be a remarkably versatile
design, used as a basic trainer, glider tug, agricultural applicator
and even a military version fitted with a larger engine, fabric armor,
machine guns and hard-points on the wings for external ordinance.

Any information and input would be appreciated.

Valid information will probably come from people who have built or
operated the MFI-9, so your most likely sources will be Poland and
Scandinavia. The information you seek is out there, you simply have
to hit the right button -- to keep asking, perhaps with an attached
photo. (Many people will know the plane by names other than
'MFI-9.' )

Good luck in your search.

-R.S.Hoover

(For those not familiar with the VW-powered version, the wing is the
most outstanding feature. The main spar is Douglas Fir and each wing
panel has only three ribs. The airfoil is formed by strips of spruce
or pine applied diagonally across the ribs to form a remarkably stiff
geodetic structure.)

Old October 16th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Oct 15, 10:05*am, Lin Light
wrote:
I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started
sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely
pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a
kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on
the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

Lin

--
Lin Light

It's too bad Pazmany is dead too, he knew Björn Andreason, and there
are many photos and drawings of the landing gear in his book on that
subject.
Old October 17th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Lin Light wrote:
I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. It was started
sometime in the 1980s or 90s. Close to 85% done. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it. The plane was almost entirely
pulled riveted. Looking for anyone that may have working knowledge of a
kit version like this one. The information package ha Amsin Aviation on
the front.
Any information and input would be appreciated.

Lin

Flying the Cygnet...
A short trip around the patch (with a hand held camera)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKeen6Mt6g

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old November 1st 08, 02:15 PM
KT2GO KT2GO is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb himself[_4_] View Post
Lin Light wrote:[color=blue][i]
I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane. Don't have all the
drawings but enough I think to finish it.
Drawings for the homebuilt version used to be available from Bjorn Andreasson, but he passed away (to the best of my knowledge). I have an almost-complete set. Please post a list of what you think you need.

KT